Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Winnipegger surprised WS bag fees charged in CAD on trip to U.S. but USD on return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winnipegger surprised WS bag fees charged in CAD on trip to U.S. but USD on return

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Data point.

I just had the misfortune to endure a quick return trip to Texarkana on AA.
Bag fee was CAD $31.50 (incl. $1.50 tax) on the outbound, USD$ 24 return.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Sopwith
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wes...0-us-1.5002318

Translation into plain English: "Because most of the other airlines are gouging their customers, we're going to as well. Because it's 2019 and we can."
More accurate is "people only want to pay $200 to fly 2000 miles at 500 mph so we are offering the $200 fare and adding fees to get it back to what it would have been before everyone became cheap and greedy".
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Data point.

I just had the misfortune to endure a quick return trip to Texarkana on AA.
Bag fee was CAD $31.50 (incl. $1.50 tax) on the outbound, USD$ 24 return.
Good to know some airlines are still doing the right thing. Good for you AA.

Sunwing airline allows passengers to buy excursions on board but is priced in CAD.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
More accurate is "people only want to pay $200 to fly 2000 miles at 500 mph so we are offering the $200 fare and adding fees to get it back to what it would have been before everyone became cheap and greedy".
I don't necessarily disagree, but I still struggle to think of a rational explanation of why it should cost ~33% more to fly two bags in one direction than the same two bags in the opposite direction.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:03 pm

I don't necessarily disagree, but I still struggle to think of a rational explanation of why it should cost ~33% more to fly two bags in one direction than the same two bags in the opposite direction.
Because on balance they can charge it and people pay and the friction from charging in US or Pesos or whatever is not impacting the bottom line enough to justify getting rid of this scheme.

I only fly Plus but don't some of the Y fares include some free baggage along with whatever else they offer (change fees waived etc.)? If so buy those.

The worst case outcome is they will rationalize it by figuring out the CAD cost of the US charges and increase them ex-Canada so then everyone is truly stuffed. And they earn more. They just announced results and are still not exactly setting the profit world on fire.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Troubler
Hmm I always took that to mean you pay where you’re starting your travel for that leg. On the way down they initiated travel in Canada. The return trip travel was initiated in the US. That does seem open to interpretation if that’s how it’s written.
I don't think it's open to interpretation. But even if it is, that goes against WestJet. They wrote it.

Could it be that this women had booked two one-way tickets? Then we would have two separate trips with different origins.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:05 am

I am upset that I flew WJ to Phoenix, I grabbed a sandwich at the airport and was charged US dollars for it.

Then I took an Uber to the house and they had the audacity to charge me in US dollars too!

Then I went to Costco with my Canadian Costco card and those gougers charged me US$ rather than Cdn dollarettes.

The final straw was when we went to the Keg, a Canadian company, and they charged me in US$ too!

I’ve already drafted my letter to the CBC on these unfair actions and I expect the nanny state to fix all of this for me.

🙄
FlyerJ likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by HangTen
I am upset that I flew WJ to Phoenix, I grabbed a sandwich at the airport and was charged US dollars for it.

Then I took an Uber to the house and they had the audacity to charge me in US dollars too!

Then I went to Costco with my Canadian Costco card and those gougers charged me US$ rather than Cdn dollarettes.

The final straw was when we went to the Keg, a Canadian company, and they charged me in US$ too!

I’ve already drafted my letter to the CBC on these unfair actions and I expect the nanny state to fix all of this for me.

🙄
How about you bought a ticket in Canada and paid in Canadian Dollars. You wanted to check a bag so you paid $30 in Canadian dollars. The ticket you purchased took you on a flight from Canada to Mexico. Then after tanning in the sun, basking in the water and filling up on Pepto Bismol it is time to fly home. You go to the airport in Mexico and you want to check your bag back home. The good news is your bag is filled with bits of sand in bathing suits, a couple of dead mosquitoes and little rubber bands that fell out of your hair when you had it braided on the beach but it is not overweight - so no extra fees - only the baggage fee. Then you realize that the fee is now being charged in US dollars even though you never stopped in the US and you are not going to the US. On top of the that the bag that doesn't require an extra fee for overweight costs about 25%ish more than what it cost to fly down. On top of that you have to incur foreign exchange rates on your credit card for US dollars.

I think the traveller has every right to ask why they are being charged in a foreign currency for a country they never visited or stopped in as well as why the bag cost 25%ish more to fly home.
sokolov likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by WestonC

I think the traveller has every right to ask why they are being charged in a foreign currency for a country they never visited or stopped in as well as why the bag cost 25%ish more to fly home.
WestJet clearly has no desire (wisely) to collect Mexican Pesos so they want US dollars. Seems sensible. Be glad they don't insist on Bitcoin and you have none, and the bags stay in Mexico. Or those huge stone coins from centuries ago.

Why would travelers have a "right" to ask about this? They don't have to fly on WestJet if it's so irksome. But if you think it's a "right" to ask then undoubtedly the WS answer is " we want US more where we operate outside Canada because we pay bills in US".

BTW Aeromexico charges in USD for all baggage except internal Mexico flights. Weird they are Mexican and they don't want Pesos either.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I just checked my trip to OGG last January. I was charged C$60.00 for 2 bags going (no GST unless it was embedded in the $60) and US$48.50 returning. At the then-prevailing exchange rate of ~$1.30, the difference would be about C$3.05. Not enough to be worked up about.
So this year, same time, same trip, I'm charged C$80 for two bags going (!) and US$80 for the same two bags returning.
I’m really not asking for much. I’d just like to hear WS calmly and rationally explain how they justify the above to their customers.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:07 pm

Another data point.

This week I took the Tickle Trunk to Greeley CO, so the flight was YVR-DEN, then DEN-SFO-YVR for the return. Last minute trip so I ended up flying UA....because it's DEN. I'm sitting in DEN airport enjoying a fortified beverage right now enjoying a fortified beverage while I wait to embark on the return journey..

Outbound bag fee CAD $31.50 ($30 plus $150 Tax)
Return, charged at DEN, USD $30

Last edited by Frequentlander; Feb 13, 2019 at 2:13 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:08 pm

Deleted
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:22 pm

I’m really not asking for much. I’d just like to hear WS calmly and rationally explain how they justify the above to their customers.
1. They can
2. They do as competitors do.
3. People won't leave due to this because the alternatives do the same thing.

People have this weird sense of wonderment and charitability for WestJet like they are a club and not a public company. Anything they do to increase revenue is to make more money and you must realize that they weigh competitive issues and attrition risk (minor) in that.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
No problem charging USD, but how about doing to conversion to CAD ie/ $30CAD = $22.50USD.
It's how they do fares, when I fly UA the default site is in USD, then there is a link to the CAD site which does the conversion, it's done all the time, all airlines.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:55 pm

If you want to look at bag charges, comparing Canada to and from Europe when the airline doesn’t charge for the bag within the ticket price all prices in CAD excluding sales taxes:

Air Canada Economy Basic 1st checked bag $60 each way
Air France Light/Basic fare - 1st checked bag $80 each way online, $100 at the airport
KLM Economy Light - 1st checked bag $75 each way
WOW Air - 1st checked bag $86.06 and up each way
WestJet Basic or Econo - 1st checked bag $30 Canada to Europe, $30 quoted in GBP/EUR UK/Europe to Canada

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.