Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet hires Muehlen as chief commercial officer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

FlightGlobal - November 30 2018

QUOTE:

"Canadian discounter WestJet has hired Malaysia Airlines executive Arved von zur Muehlen as chief commercial officer, a new title at the company.

The decision to hire Muehlen, who will start 2 January pending immigration approval, will help WestJet better develop a global brand, the Calgary-based airline says in a media release."

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...fficer-454069/
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
FlightGlobal - November 30 2018

QUOTE:

"Canadian discounter WestJet has hired Malaysia Airlines executive Arved von zur Muehlen as chief commercial officer, a new title at the company.

The decision to hire Muehlen, who will start 2 January pending immigration approval, will help WestJet better develop a global brand, the Calgary-based airline says in a media release."

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...fficer-454069/
A positive move for WestJet and their shareholders. For passengers to early to say.

WestJet did things their way (a little weird at times). Now they are starting to fill their senior roles with people who have experience at global airlines. They will become more and more like Air Canada or Delta.

Last edited by Fiordland; Nov 30, 2018 at 11:10 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:21 pm

MH has made frequent appearances in the GDPF thread the last couple years.
Let's hope the same for WS.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by tracon
MH has made frequent appearances in the GDPF thread the last couple years.
Let's hope the same for WS.
What is GDPF?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:36 am

Maybe he is being brought in to take over for Sims in 2019. I personally don't see Sims lasting another year at Westjet. The company needs a positive shake up at the top.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YYCguy

What is GDPF?
Good Deal Premium Fare

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

Used to be a thread called GDPF, now it’s a whole subforum with a slightly modified name - Premium Fare Deals. But old acronyms die hard.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Maybe he is being brought in to take over for Sims in 2019. I personally don't see Sims lasting another year at Westjet. The company needs a positive shake up at the top.
Considering Ed has been CEO for only 9 months and has made quite a few changes while still executing the three mainstay programs there to the board wishes (787, cost efficiency and Business Traveller), I think he will be around quite a bit longer. The key will be margins and ROIC over the next couple of years. Before I left WestJet I had the privilege of interacting directly with Ed, he is very fair but firm, very knowledgeable in how the industry operates and in my opinion a great decision maker, whatever you see in the press or hear via the rumour mill always has to be taken with a grain of salt.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

WestJet’s Chief Commercial Officer steps down

CALGARY — WestJet’s Arved von zur Muehlen is stepping down as Executive Vice-President and Chief Commercial Officer, effective March 5, 2021.

Von zur Muehlen first joined the carrier in January 2019 from Malaysia Airlines, leading WestJet’s commercial team in all aspects of its commercial functions. President and CEO Ed Sims said “Arved’s strategic thinking and ability have been of huge value to WestJet” and that “on behalf of our WestJetters and our board of directors, we thank Arved for all he has done.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.