Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet Vacations passengers to start paying checked bag fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

WestJet Vacations passengers who book as of 5 Nov., 2018 for travel on or after 3 Dec., 2018 will be subject to a $30-35.40 CAD/USD fee for their first checked bag for travel outside of Canada & U.S. to "align with WestJet’s overall baggage policy".

https://news.paxeditions.com/news/ai...SZmCT5Ikta7DyY

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 1, 2018 at 8:27 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Westjet Vacations already more expensive than other operators. Acting more and more like that other airline in Canada.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Westjet Vacations already more expensive than other operators. Acting more and more like that other airline in Canada.
I’ve actually found the opposite. WestJet Vacations, in my experience, has had some great pricing — especially for Las Vegas. Friends have told me that their Disney packages are very well priced too.

I’ve never, ever been a packaged vacation person before, but they do seem to have some really good bargains. I’ve used them a few times only because the prices were so good.

And the worst, when I’ve compared, has been Air Canada Vacations — their pricing was consistently higher than WJV and also often higher than booking flights and hotels separately. YMMV, naturally. (And ACV destinations often use Rouge aircraft, which I wouldn’t set foot on ever again regardless of the price.)
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:40 am

I get your comparison to AC Vacation, AC definitely priced way higher. I am comparing to Sunwing and Transat Holidays which include 1 checked luggage.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

I am comparing to Sunwing and Transat Holidays which include 1 checked luggage.
For now...
smallmj likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:17 pm

WJ vacation packages are on average 30% more expensive than either Sunwing or Transat vacation. For that reason alone they are not competitive. Now they want to charge for luggage? A simple google Westjet Vacation Checked Baggage shows nothing. They better be telling their sun package customers about this or else people will be pissed at checkin. People paying $7000 for a family of four to fly to Punta Cana for an all inclusive vacation for a week is not going to respond well if they are asked to pay another $240 for baggage at the airport.

Last edited by Sunny Day; Nov 2, 2018 at 8:24 pm
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

WJ vacation packages are on average 30% more expensive than either Sunwing or Transat vacation.
According to whom?

A simple google Westjet Vacation Checked Baggage shows nothing. They better be telling their sun package customers about this or else people will be pissed at checkin. People paying $7000 for a family of four to fly to Punta Cana for an all inclusive vacation for a week is not going to respond well if they are asked to pay another $240 for baggage at the airport.
Yes think of all those poor people who book online and and don't read the fine print only to discover this policy change at airport check in. Surprise!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I get your comparison to AC Vacation, AC definitely priced way higher. I am comparing to Sunwing and Transat Holidays which include 1 checked luggage.
Which come with having to fly on Air Transat or Sunwing of course.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
WJ vacation packages are on average 30% more expensive than either Sunwing or Transat vacation. For that reason alone they are not competitive. Now they want to charge for luggage? A simple google Westjet Vacation Checked Baggage shows nothing. They better be telling their sun package customers about this or else people will be pissed at checkin. People paying $7000 for a family of four to fly to Punta Cana for an all inclusive vacation for a week is not going to respond well if they are asked to pay another $240 for baggage at the airport.
So people either don't check the competition (such as the examples are) or they do and pay anyway, and don't read the terms of what's free (or not) and then whinge about 3.5% more overall ? Tough darts, farmer.

They have a quite comprehensive list of fees by class of service here: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...1-item-2-pos-1
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
According to whom?
According to me who is researching my own holiday. WJ simply not competitive in scheduling and price. 14 hour trip to Punta Cana with a red-eye to YYZ on the outbound and next day arrival at the resort and 30% more expensive.

Last edited by Sunny Day; Nov 3, 2018 at 11:38 am
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
So people either don't check the competition (such as the examples are) or they do and pay anyway, and don't read the terms of what's free (or not) and then whinge about 3.5% more overall ? Tough darts, farmer.

They have a quite comprehensive list of fees by class of service here: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...1-item-2-pos-1
I looked at the chart, it shows first bag is free. Btw, there is nothing wrong with either Sunwing or Transat. They offer a good product.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

According to me who is researching my own holiday. WJ simply not competitive in scheduling and price..
Then you should've said as much as the suggestion seemed to be that WS Vac is 30% higher all the time to all destinations than other tour companies which I don't believe is the case based on my daily research to dozens of different Mexico & Caribbean destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.