Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet needs to partner with Air France in CDG and join skyteam to be successful

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet needs to partner with Air France in CDG and join skyteam to be successful

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)

Westjet should codeshare with Air France and take advantage of connections in CDG
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:08 am

AF is already a WestJet partner. https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/rewards/partners/index
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by cedric
Yes, but to fully take advantage of the TATL routes, the AF/KLM connections need to be bookable on the Westjet website.

edit: This doesn't necessarily mean joining Skyteam as the OP suggested, but they need a deeper partnership or joint venture or something that lets customers easily book connections from CDG/LGW/GLA/DUB

edit #2 : And not just for rewards flights

Last edited by smallmj; Oct 15, 2018 at 5:34 am
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:41 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cooleddie

Westjet should codeshare with Air France and take advantage of connections in CDG
The problem with Skyteam is that it doesn’t open up China very well. I believe One World would be better choice. But since WestJet is getting closer ties to Delta, I don’t think this will happen.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by 5mm

The problem with Skyteam is that it doesn’t open up China very well. I believe One World would be better choice. But since WestJet is getting closer ties to Delta, I don’t think this will happen.
China Southern, China Eastern, Xiamen Air are all Skyteam members. There are good connections to China on Korean and Delta. What more do you want?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by 5mm
WestJet will never join OneWorld. Give it up.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by cooleddie

In time WS will expand their relationship with AF/KL. However before this happens WS will have to implement their anti-trust immunity JV with DL.

If WS were to simultaneously attempt to JV with both DL and AF/KL; the whole plan would take years to get through the competition tribunals and commissions.

I'm not convinced that WS will ever join SkyTeam, rather they will joint venture with DL, AF/KL, KE, and others as they see fit. Each JV will be bilateral rather than multilateral that must be done if joining a global alliance.

Finally, I don't expect that WS Rewards will become equivalent to standard rewards program for benefits and terms. This job could transfer to DL Medallion for those WS flyers looking for a traditional rewards based programs.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by WR Cage
In time WS will expand their relationship with AF/KL. However before this happens WS will have to implement their anti-trust immunity JV with DL.

If WS were to simultaneously attempt to JV with both DL and AF/KL; the whole plan would take years to get through the competition tribunals and commissions.

I'm not convinced that WS will ever join SkyTeam, rather they will joint venture with DL, AF/KL, KE, and others as they see fit. Each JV will be bilateral rather than multilateral that must be done if joining a global alliance.

Finally, I don't expect that WS Rewards will become equivalent to standard rewards program for benefits and terms. This job could transfer to DL Medallion for those WS flyers looking for a traditional rewards based programs.
An expanded relationship doesn't require a joint venture. JV is only for the purposes of coordinating traffic on particular routes and/or sharing costs/revenues on those routes. There are plenty of airlines that have comprehensive relationships within and without global alliances and do not have JVs.

Not sure where you are going with bilateral/multilateral JV/global alliance; two different and not required to be connected forms of relationship.

Given the way rewards programs are evolving and moving more-and-more to revenue based, perhaps Westjet is closer to the "standard" that it would have been in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.