Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet Rewards teases new level above Gold.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond

"Soon, we will be unveiling a new tier above Gold, along with new and enhanced benefits for our Silver and Gold members. This growth represents some outstanding opportunities— especially for those looking for more exclusive premium experiences."

Let the speculation begin....
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
"Soon, we will be unveiling a new tier above Gold, along with new and enhanced benefits for our Silver and Gold members. This growth represents some outstanding opportunities— especially for those looking for more exclusive premium experiences."

Let the speculation begin....
I'll speculate that there will be more (and who knows, maybe better) integration with the DL program and there will be some changes to how you can use your companion cert. Maybe another type of companion cert for longer haul routes?
If they want to integrate with Skyteam, I think that they (WS) are going to have to give some recognition for miles flown, and not just spend.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
So I wonder where the bar will be set for this new tier above Gold? $10K? $12K $15K? Integration with a mileage based program like Delta may be challenging, and if it does finally happen, hopefully the value transfers well between the programs, but I'm not holding my breath, the trend continues to be going towards spend based FF programs and Skyteam is no exception. Nevertheless, I like how straight forward Westjet's FF program is for earning status and redeeming Westjet dollars, I got tired of the mileage games, limited availability, and moving targets of the other airline programs.

It certainly would be nice to get a bit more flexibility on how a companion fare is used (would be nice to break it up into one way tickets). Also some upgrade certs that could be used up to 48 hours in advance of the flight would certainly be handy, though I do appreciate the random "bump" up to plus with a higher priced flex fare that I've experienced over the past year.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
I'm actually quite intrigued about the new lounges. I expect YVR, YYC and YYZ, which I suspect will be the 787 stations.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I'm actually quite intrigued about the new lounges. I expect YVR, YYC and YYZ, which I suspect will be the 787 stations.
There will be 9 new lounges: domestic, trans-border and international for YYC, YYZ and YVR.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by aerobod
There will be 9 new lounges: domestic, trans-border and international for YYC, YYZ and YVR.
YYZ domestic and international gates are not segregated, as they are in YYC and YVR. Why will there be a third lounge and where will it be located?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy

YYZ domestic and international gates are not segregated, as they are in YYC and YVR. Why will there be a third lounge and where will it be located?
Not sure of terminal locations, the "9 lounges" is from the investor day info (slide 39): https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-we...vestor-day.pdf
The fact they are in YYC, YYZ and YVR is based on the released info to the public, before I retired from WestJet.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: WestJet Rewards, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by aerobod
Not sure of terminal locations, the "9 lounges" is from the investor day info (slide 39): https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-we...vestor-day.pdf
The fact they are in YYC, YYZ and YVR is based on the released info to the public, before I retired from WestJet.
I wonder if YEG might get a joint domestic/international lounge.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I'd expect unlimited lounge access as part of reciprocal benefits with Delta. With lounges launching the same time as this new tier, their planning is good.

I'd also expect complimentary seat selection.

This would get rid of the lackluster voucher system currently in place for Golds.

Here are some aspirational reaches:

24/7 Elite line (Gold line office hours is frustrating)
Upgrade vouchers for long-haul, like Delta GUCs, American SWUs, United GPUs
Upgrade vouchers for short-haul, like Delta RUCs, United RPUs
Reciprocal hotel/car rental loyalty program partnership
Metal luggage tags (pleassse)
Arthurrs likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by keitherson
I'd expect unlimited lounge access as part of reciprocal benefits with Delta. With lounges launching the same time as this new tier, their planning is good.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with lounge access. Keep in mind that Air Canada is the outlier when it comes to lounges -- and I have a hunch that WestJet will approach this conservatively rather than matching what AC already does. My hunch is that they're more likely to mirror what U.S. carriers do: sell lounge memberships, with discounts increasing as your status level increases. And keep complimentary lounge access only for paid J cabin passengers and highest-tier elite members ... on international (but not domestic) flights.

I'd also expect complimentary seat selection.

My hunch is that this won't happen. Just like AC, upselling fares and having passengers pay for seats are absolutely critical sources of revenue. They're not going to give that up -- like Air Canada hasn't given it up. If you buy an Econo (or, gasp, an Econo Lowest) fare, I think you'll still have to pay. It might be a reduced fee, or might open up better seating choices than others have access to, but I think you'll still pay for seats.

This would get rid of the lackluster voucher system currently in place for Golds.
Upgrade vouchers for long-haul, like Delta GUCs, American SWUs, United GPUs
Upgrade vouchers for short-haul, like Delta RUCs, United RPUs
I think this will happen . . . there will definitely be new upgrade options available to highest-tier members. This will be a big change for WS passengers, as one of the big draws to current-day WestJet is the typically very easy availability of cheap paid upgrades to Plus at check-in. IMHO, that will largely disappear.

Last edited by FlyerJ; Sep 12, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:33 pm

Regarding lounges, I would be very surprised if Westjet has a lounge open by the end of 2019. I know it is in previous timeline but I don't think it will happen.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: WJ Gold >10k; Hertz Presidents Circle; NEXUS
Agree with Westjet and the FF program is simple, straightforward and the dollars to use are better than most other programs IMO.

Love the tease, but really let's get on with it already!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Fine tuning the mileage/benefit program will be the key draw to the "big spenders" FFers, the more enticing it is; the more defections from AC you'll see
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:16 pm

Hurry up already

Very surprised WestJet would tease gold members and not just announce what is going on. Very poor customer practice and if the program is strong then I would expect announcing it full scale would help retain that elite level of flyer.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

While I'm sure they are still working on the details, it would be kinda nice to know where the goalposts are for this higher tier. I'm planning my travel for the rest of the year! 10K? 12K? 15K?
eracerblue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.