Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

DL and WS New Transborder Joint Venture

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL and WS New Transborder Joint Venture

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lsquare
Any timeframe on when the US government will give its approval? Fair to say that I'll earn a lot more MQMs once the JV is approved? Seems like DL's group 1 partners all give 100% MQMs on the cheapest flights. I would love to get more than the 25% now.
I'm also looking forward to approval, but keep in mind that the US government isn't as easy on approving these, based on historical Korean Air and Aeromexico....

But yes, also on my wishlist is 100% MQMs and a free checked bag... since normally we get 0 on WS tickets. Would also like seat selection.

Or at the very least, if it's a DL ticket with the first ticket operated by WS and I need to go to the counter to get my baggage fees waived, I'd like to not have to wait in the long line for normal check-ins, and at least be able to use the WS Gold line lol.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
I'm also looking forward to approval, but keep in mind that the US government isn't as easy on approving these, based on historical Korean Air and Aeromexico....

But yes, also on my wishlist is 100% MQMs and a free checked bag... since normally we get 0 on WS tickets. Would also like seat selection.

Or at the very least, if it's a DL ticket with the first ticket operated by WS and I need to go to the counter to get my baggage fees waived, I'd like to not have to wait in the long line for normal check-ins, and at least be able to use the WS Gold line lol.
I hope that would change. I got a WS ticket in February, but LAX-MSY was operated by DL and they charged me US$37 for the bag! With WS-DL JV, I really wonder if they're already in ST in practice even though it's not formal? Anyways, it'll be good as this JV will cover a lot of good North American routes. If WS recognize DL elite status, then this will be gold.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Here I sit . . . in the Minneapolis airport . . . frustrated once again by the current state of the Delta-WestJet arrangement. And most of my frustration, once again, comes down to what I assume are IT glitches.

I booked YYC-MSP, MSP-YYC . . . on a WestJet ticket, with both segments operated by Delta. Both regular economy tickets, at the same fare class.

On the first segment, I had access to online seat selection via Delta's (awesome) website. Full access to the Delta seat map for the flight, and the ability to choose my own seat. On segment number two, I could never, ever see the seat map. Instead, I just saw constant "we're sorry" messages from the Delta website -- on the app, on the website, before check-in, during check-in. And the inability to select my own seat. Grrrr. (It was absolutely, positively not a 'Basic' ticket.)

Problem # 2: after checking in for segment number two, I see that my KTN is nowhere to be found and my boarding pass doesn't show access to TSA Pre. (My KTN is in my profile with our corporate travel agent. And it's in my WestJet profile. And it's in my Delta profile. It absolutely should have been linked to this reservation.)

Upon arrival at MSP, I try updating my BP to include my KTN at the Delta check-in kiosk. No luck -- adding a KTN is not available via their kiosk. After looking at my two remaining options (wait in the TSA Regular line vs wait in the Delta "Special Services" line at check-in), I choose to go to the Delta counter to get my BP corrected.

I had a great Delta agent there. She took my NEXUS card and quickly added my KTN, and reprinted my BP giving me TSA Pre access. I asked her why I'm having these constant problems. She subtly rolled her eyes and essentially answered: because WestJet. Problems with WS tickets on DL flights, it seems, are not uncommon.

Argh. Somebody . . . please fix this.

(I'd be absolutely thrilled to have reciprocal status recognition between the two companies. But first, I'd be really thrilled if things would just work. Please.)
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
At LAX, where WS and DL share the same terminal, the Sky Club agents are so well versed in denying WestJet fliers access that they all know to look at the boarding passes to see whether the ticket was issued by Delta, 006 ticket stock to see whether to let fliers in or not.

The situation is pathetic, you basically have to choose between connecting with Delta or flying nonstop with Westjet. The DL codeshares on WS metal are usually always significantly more expensive.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: skyteam
It is obvious here that since yes WS and DL are only codeshare partners , WestJet is neither in the skyteam alliance nor are they joint venture partners which creates many of these issues. I am confident that once the Joint venture is approved and finalized , then and only then will a passenger begin to see improvements with tech, and these other issues. Patience is key here in my view. Even more so if and when WS decides to join Skyteam alliance. I have adjusted my expectations as such until more major milestones between the two carriers are reached. Less disappointment for me that way.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
Even more so if and when WS decides to join Skyteam alliance.
How confident are you that this is going to happen, and what is the level of confidence based on?

I think (based on absolutely no insider information) that we are years rather than months away....if at all.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:32 pm
Suspended

I am very confident as this is the roadmap hence why the joint venture was proposed years ago. I also gave no time frame as well due to the fact that there are several key initiatives that WS needs to accomplish before an application to Skyteam is feasible, for one example ,the construction and completion of WS own J lounges.

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
How confident are you that this is going to happen, and what is the level of confidence based on?

I think (based on absolutely no insider information) that we are years rather than months away....if at all.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I am very confident as this is the roadmap hence why the joint venture was proposed years ago. I also gave no time frame as well due to the fact that there are several key initiatives that WS needs to accomplish before an application to Skyteam is feasible, for one example ,the construction and completion of WS own J lounges.

You realize Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia, GOL are all close Delta JVs/partners but not in Skyteam?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by keitherson
You realize Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia, GOL are all close Delta JVs/partners but not in Skyteam?
also a possibility. There is also the manner that to effectively compete against Air Canada internationally, WS is going to need the same lift and capabilities that Air Canada has with the star alliance . Those carriers you mentioned , different markets, different execution strategies , not identical landscapes. But we can agree time will tell. I remain optimistic with any change. As they once said at WS “ we will never fly east of YWG” and look how that turned out, so I am not convinced that Skyteam is not on roadmap completely.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
It is obvious here that since yes WS and DL are only codeshare partners , WestJet is neither in the skyteam alliance nor are they joint venture partners which creates many of these issues. I am confident that once the Joint venture is approved and finalized , then and only then will a passenger begin to see improvements with tech, and these other issues.
A JV is nothing more than a legal structure that allows two companies to behave in way that would otherwise be seen as “anti competitive”.

Code shares are very, very common in the airline world. In absolutely no way is a JV required in order to make a code share work properly and effectively. Absolutely not. Whatever issues and glitches exist with WS tickets on DL flights are not due to the lack of a joint venture agreement.

Ditto with any reciprocal benefits to customers. Delta could sell lounge access to WestJet for WS customers — in exactly the same way that the Aspire Lounges sells access to WestJet. Here, it’s by choice. Either Delta doesn’t want to sell WS access for WS customers, or WS doesn’t want to pay. The reciprocity issue is either by choice, or due to budget constraints, or due to IT constraints. No JV required to offer benefits to WS customers.

A JV, once approved, will allow for the two airlines to cooperate more closely. But it will largely go unnoticed by customers. It’s a legal thing, not a “now I get great, new benefits thing”.

Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ

A JV is nothing more than a legal structure that allows two companies to behave in way that would otherwise be seen as “anti competitive”.

Code shares are very, very common in the airline world. In absolutely no way is a JV required in order to make a code share work properly and effectively. Absolutely not. Whatever issues and glitches exist with WS tickets on DL flights are not due to the lack of a joint venture agreement.

Ditto with any reciprocal benefits to customers. Delta could sell lounge access to WestJet for WS customers — in exactly the same way that the Aspire Lounges sells access to WestJet. Here, it’s by choice. Either Delta doesn’t want to sell WS access for WS customers, or WS doesn’t want to pay. The reciprocity issue is either by choice, or due to budget constraints, or due to IT constraints. No JV required to offer benefits to WS customers.

A JV, once approved, will allow for the two airlines to cooperate more closely. But it will largely go unnoticed by customers. It’s a legal thing, not a “now I get great, new benefits thing”.

While I agree that the JV itself doesn't change anything that isn't the point of the JV. The JV is the mechanism for a closer relationship between WestJet and Delta and must out of reasonable intention be a source of greater access to and share of the transborder market and connecting traffic for both of them - otherwise, why enter a JV in the first place. GIven the intention must be to impact the market, there must be some noticeable impact to the customer. It is speculative to assume that greater reciprocity of FF benefits and potential future alliance membership will arise, but certainly the JV is an element in the impetus driving ever more in that direction.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerJ

IT is a major problem with all these airlines. Air Canada and United who have been in working together since the start of Star Alliance still can not print boarding passes for each other with zone numbers on them. WS and Delta will not do any better.

As for lounge access that will come with time. I do hope that WestJet gets on with building lounges in major airports in Canada.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I do hope that WestJet gets on with building lounges in major airports in Canada.
Does anyone know how this is progressing?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Does anyone know how this is progressing?
WestJet has taken over the Concourse A lounge in YYC domestic. Apparently that is temporary and a new bigger lounge is coming. When they build a new central security point for all domestic departures a good percentage of the pre-security retail space will disappear and WestJet has a lounge going into that area.

No idea what is happening in the other airports.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
WestJet has taken over the Concourse A lounge in YYC domestic. Apparently that is temporary and a new bigger lounge is coming. When they build a new central security point for all domestic departures a good percentage of the pre-security retail space will disappear and WestJet has a lounge going into that area.

No idea what is happening in the other airports.
OK thanks.

So it seems that they are at the planning stage and not the execution stage. Is that a fair assessment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.