Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Toronto Lawyer Alleges WS Racially Profiled Him

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

WS strikes again! Came across this article earlier today on Global. To summarize:
  1. Canadian lawyer of African descent attempts to check in to WS flight to Toronto @ Trinidad & Tobago
  2. WS flags him as a security risk since his ticket was a one-way back to Canada
  3. WS agent & airport security insist that he prove he purchased the ticket (which he bought himself from WS website) and after some time he is allowed to board his flight
  4. Lawyer takes video footage of incident and complains to WS
  5. WS CEO replies saying they're taking a look at it
Unsure about you but it's none of an airline's [adjective removed by moderator per rules] business how I purchase my tickets if I'm flying back to my home country. I could understand some scrutiny if I'm travelling to a foreign country for which I don't hold citizenship, but have never in my lifetime been asked to prove how I purchased my tickets (merely to prove that I have an onward journey).

What are your thoughts on this?

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 8, 2018 at 9:08 am Reason: community standards
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Not going to speculate in view of the significant lack of details, but I have a hard time believing a man attempting to board a plane in Trinidad & Tobago was singled out solely because he is of African descent. I have to believe other passengers on the same flight, along with perhaps some of the gate agents and security personnel, could also be of similar ancestry.

More likely, the man was questioned for other reasons which have not been disclosed for one reason or another.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
We are missing large chunks of this story such as when the one-way ticket was purchased as airline's do look closer at very last-minute tickets bought on one-way international flights, especially if paid in cash which doesn't seem to be the case here as passenger bought it online directly from WS.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
My white ... has been grilled by check-in, police and immigration more times than I can count when I was flying on one-way tickets.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:58 pm

More look-at-me nonsense that the “journalists” today feed on.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by dodgy
More look-at-me nonsense that the “journalists” today feed on.
Correct. Professional victim.

I have had this happen to me too when travelling one way. I don't believe it is an airline imposed procedure. It is required by the ruling security agency.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Unsure about you but it's none of an airline's [adjective removed by moderator per rules] business how I purchase my tickets if I'm flying back to my home country.
It is the airlines business if they're worried about fraud.
I've been asked to show the credit card I purchased my travel when flying from Asia.

I've been "SSSS" on a o/w ticket from the USA to Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.