Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live TV eliminated from Connect

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Live TV eliminated from Connect

VERY disappointed to see this on today’s flight. One thing that made Westjet different from AC. Apparently succumbed to the bean counters. The movie selection has always been terrible so at least Live tv was an option - no longer.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Must save weight as they refit to not have satellite TV receivers on the top of the fuselage. The selection was not much anyway. Maybe they want you to buy internet and check the news as you fly. Otherwise for the few hours there are lots of ways to entertain yourself. The Connect selection is not terrible.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:08 pm

There is a weight saving from not having the seat back screens, but a different satellite antenna is still on the 737s. When the 787 cabin was revealed many people were surprised that there are seat back screens, as they have been eliminated on the rest of the fleet, but it actually doesn’t save weight on the 787 by not having them, as they are also used for call button, window dimming and USB power supply; armrest controls don’t exist and would be a more expensive custom option to substitute for the IFEC screens.

Live TV has been crippled south of the US border due to a satellite change several years ago and is also unreliable and parts are no longer easily available. WestJet Connect on your own device still has free live TV news channels.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by aerobod
...When the 787 cabin was revealed many people were surprised that there are seat back screens, as they have been eliminated on the rest of the fleet, but it actually doesn’t save weight on the 787 by not having them, as they are also used for call button, window dimming and USB power supply;...

So will the 787 fleet have preloaded content on the seat back screens? Will Connect still be available for my own device on that fleet?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by YYCguy

So will the 787 fleet have preloaded content on the seat back screens? Will Connect still be available for my own device on that fleet?
Same servers with same content, likely access to all content to your own device (this is configurable, but I don’t think it will be blocked).
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:44 pm

" WestJet Connect on your own device still has free live TV news channels."

I don't believe this is true. All live TV has been discontinued. I liked it but apparently I was one of a few.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by 575M
" WestJet Connect on your own device still has free live TV news channels."

I don't believe this is true. All live TV has been discontinued. I liked it but apparently I was one of a few.
I’m out of date with my info (hazard of retiring from the company), I just checked with the product manager, you are correct, the channels have been removed due to poor viewing rates weighed against the licensing cost to provide the channels. I will also miss them, I often watched BBC News when flying.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I found it nearly unwatchable when I tried using it.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Live TV was also handy when NHL playoffs or other significant sports events were on. I still contend it’s one fewer item to differentiate from AC.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Error 601
I found it nearly unwatchable when I tried using it.
Same here. Would have used it much more, if it had worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.