Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Delta ticket on WestJet metal: seat selection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver

I almost always shy away from buying codeshare tickets, but some upcoming WestJet-operated flights are waaaay cheaper if I buy my ticket from DL rather than WS.

If if I buy a Delta ticket on a flight operated by WestJet ... am I able to purchase advance seat selection from WestJet?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
I don’t think so, I’ve never tried it but you can’t the other way around - WS ticket on a DL operated flight.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:52 pm

I'm pretty sure I've done this. Delta ticket/Westjet flight - got the Westjet record locator and used that to book seats on westjet.com. I've done it the other way too but the fare class on Delta included free seat selection, it just couldn't be done during the Westjet booking but had to be done on Delta website.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
Originally Posted by robsaw
I'm pretty sure I've done this. Delta ticket/Westjet flight - got the Westjet record locator and used that to book seats on westjet.com. I've done it the other way too but the fare class on Delta included free seat selection, it just couldn't be done during the Westjet booking but had to be done on Delta website.
Yes you can on the others website, Delta will accept the WS PNR .
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Executive Club Gold
I've confronted this too. Here's how I dealt with it. I have an upcoming trip MIA - JFK - YYC, ticketed on Delta but with the JFK - YYC leg on Westjet. Selected MIA - JFK seat no prob online with Delta but unable to select Westjet seat JFK -YYC. I have a 1st world horror of being assigned a middle seat on any flight, but particularly one of 5 hours +. So I messaged Delta who replied pretty much instantly with my Westjet confirmation number (well done!), so I duly logged on to Westjet.com to select my seat, only to be advised this was not possible (why?) and I needed to call them. I duly did and the phone was answered very quickly by a helpful agent who assigned an exit row seat for me (praise the lord!). While paying the seat selection fee, there seemed to be an issue with my address (I live in the UK) but this was quickly resolved and my seat selection for the Westjet flight now shows on my Delta booking. So not seamless, but very do-able.

Last edited by Decca; Sep 5, 2018 at 4:02 am Reason: spelling error
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
Yes I have done this.

As was mentioned - you need to actually call WS (after getting your WS reservation code from Delta). And you need to pay WS for this too

HOwever once I did get away without paying...I called in, asked for my family to be seated together, but then was doing this call while driving and so couldn't access my wallet. I said I'd call back....never did but the seats were assigned
YYCguy and Decca like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just booked a WestJet flight through Delta, and it actually works online now. Go to your trip on Delta as usual and click to select a seat on the WestJet segment. It'll give you a message that you can't select partner airline seats on Delta, but there will be a link directly to your booking on WestJet where you can (along with the disclaimer that fees may apply), so there's no longer a need to call in for the WestJet PNR.
cirrusdragoon and V1213 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Yes, I just did this online. Westjet even recognized my elite status with Delta and did not charge me for seat assignments; they even let me select the first row of economy, which apparently comes with a little extra space and a snack/drink. Color me impressed! Now let's see whether they give me free checked bags without any hassle, and whether lounge use in YYC is uneventful....
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by PHXflier
Yes, I just did this online. Westjet even recognized my elite status with Delta and did not charge me for seat assignments; they even let me select the first row of economy, which apparently comes with a little extra space and a snack/drink. Color me impressed! Now let's see whether they give me free checked bags without any hassle, and whether lounge use in YYC is uneventful....
FWIW, all seats in the economy cabin show that "snack/drink" notation. There's no extra service in the front few rows.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 7:34 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by PHXflier
Nice! I'm a nobody so I had to pay for seats, but it was worth it to ensure our family sits together (my 70-year-old mother-in-law has never flown before). And it worked seamlessly, which I must admit was surprising.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by cedric
FWIW, all seats in the economy cabin show that "snack/drink" notation. There's no extra service in the front few rows.
Oh, thanks! Pre-pandemic Westjet always relegated me to somewhere in the back of the plane, so I have no experience with the first rows after Premium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.