Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Premium Economy coming to Westjet.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
As of Jan 23, 2021; provided by Fisch

All:
- B737 Max8
- All B737-700
- All B737-800
whether in storage or not are converted to new W cabin with divider.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately most of the story is password protected and I can't find details elsewhere.

WestJet details 737 premium-economy retrofits | Aircraft Interiors content from ATWOnline

WestJet’s premium-economy trial has paid off, convincing the Calgary-based LCC to launch a fleet-wide retrofit that will see new, larger two-by-two seats replacing the current three-by-three test configuration that uses a blocked middle seat. The Canadian carrier plans to start the modification work on its Boeing 737 fleet late this year and expects it to take about 18 months.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
This may be seen as the next step towards joining an alliance, so they can have J-class passengers connect to/from 2x2 seating, which closer to mainline J on (say) DL.
Fiordland likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
The Canadian carrier plans to start the modification work on its Boeing 737 fleet late this year and expects it to take about 18 months.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
That seems to be an awfully ambitious timeline! How could have that many tails down each month to do the retrofit?
Old May 14, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tracon
Unfortunately most of the story is password protected and I can't find details elsewhere.

WestJet details 737 premium-economy retrofits Aircraft Interiors content from ATWOnline

WestJet’s premium-economy trial has paid off, convincing the Calgary-based LCC to launch a fleet-wide retrofit that will see new, larger two-by-two seats replacing the current three-by-three test configuration that uses a blocked middle seat. The Canadian carrier plans to start the modification work on its Boeing 737 fleet late this year and expects it to take about 18 months.
You will be blue as a Smurf holding your breath for this to actually happen. Any airline that buys new 737 and puts in new 3X3 seats is not serious about suddenly going 2X2 in a year across the fleet.
Of course once the strike happens they will have lots of downtime as people attrite in droves to whoever is not on strike, so it might be a good time to refit to what they should have been doing for years.
With all entertainment via wi-fi of late there must be tens of thousands of seats with power plugs only (which is all they need) down in the Arizona boneyards available for the asking.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Proof will be what happens to the 7M8s arriving this year and next. If you start seeing those planes with 2x2 seats, I'll believe it. I don't know why they don't, it's not costly to put the seats in, and if the middle seat is always blocked why bother?
Old May 15, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I'm glad to hear this, but I'll reserve final judgment until I see the price.
Symmetre likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
I imagine two rows of four seats.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
if the middle seat is always blocked why bother?
Seat width. Any airline with a "premium" offering that is just a blocked middle seat has totally missed the mark (and that includes virtually every European airline).
taupo likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:33 pm

The normally very reliable Seth Miller posts some details, so it’s looking like it’s all but official at this point: WestJet Plus goes Legit with Recaro CL4710
tcook052 and Fiordland like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
This would be great news!

With that, I wonder if they'd make any other changed to bring this more in line with a J offering? Like maybe a curtain divider? Lounge access? Allowing only plus pax to use the forward lavatory?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by nave888
This would be great news!

With that, I wonder if they'd make any other changed to bring this more in line with a J offering? Like maybe a curtain divider? Lounge access? Allowing only plus pax to use the forward lavatory?
Curtains / dividers will be used in the 787’s 3 cabins, so likely. The 9 new lounges announced in YYC, YYZ and YVR are aimed at business guests.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Also reported on One Mile at a Time:
https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....ess-class-737/
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by nave888
Allowing only plus pax to use the forward lavatory?
So over a hundred people have to line up for the one or two washrooms at the back? That would drive me batty if I was sitting near the back. And not to mention a huge inconvenience and safety concern to the cabin crew who are working (or trying to work) in the economy section. I think it’s unreasonable on a narrow body aircraft to allow only 12 people to use the forward washroom and the rest have to pee their pants waiting for the remaining washroom.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:42 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by YYCguy

So over a hundred people have to line up for the one or two washrooms at the back? That would drive me batty if I was sitting near the back. And not to mention a huge inconvenience and safety concern to the cabin crew who are working (or trying to work) in the economy section. I think it’s unreasonable on a narrow body aircraft to allow only 12 people to use the forward washroom and the rest have to pee their pants waiting for the remaining washroom.
Nope. We've been given details of reconfig which includes:
- Adding a second lav in aft of 600s/700s
- Ovens
- A "skyDivider" between "Plus" and Economy

FYI
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YYCguy

They could always do what Alaska does. If you are seated in the Economy cabin, you can use the front washroom, but you have to wait at the Economy/Business dividing line until it becomes free. That gives Business passangers first chance at the front washroom but handles the problem that the 737 is a crappy aircraft from a width perspective. (It is a nice aircraft from other perspectives).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.