Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 reveal on facebook live

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
787 reveal on facebook live

This should be interesting...

Old May 8, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC 75K
New livery has been released, as well as a preview of the interior of the 787! Lie flat in business, premium economy, and economy; seems like WS really is growing up into a full-serve airline.

https://787.westjet.com/?sm_cid=soci...ner%3Afacebook
Old May 8, 2018, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
A 360-degree view here:

acurrie likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Looks fantastic all around -- including the new livery!

Wow, what an update!!

WestJet has had their current look and branding since their inception almost a quarter century ago ... eons in airline livery years. It was definitely time for a new look, and I think they hit it out of the park. I also like the new "Spirit of Canada" tagline -- it's bold and grounds them as being Canadian, and is distinctive from their big competitor.

Personally (as nothing more than a WestJet customer) I'm really disappointed that the pilots' union decided to try to upstage today's big launch at WestJet's HQ by holding their own little protest outside -- on what should have been a great day for every single WestJet employee.

(And maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get the logic of the pilots saying their livelihoods and jobs are at risk. It would seem that the airline - with or without Swoop - is growing and adding pilots. Perhaps the union bosses are upset that they're not going to profit from Swoop -- but I just don't get how they've convinced their members that they're all so aggrieved and so hard done-by.) I bet these pilots are putting big smiles on faces in an unnamed corporate head office in Montreal.

Old May 8, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Agreed, I like the livery, the interior looks distinctive and sleek. It will be interesting to see how this impacts further fleet considerations; the 787 looks like a full service experience but does not match the narrow-body fleet experience. Will they announce refurbishing of the existing fleet to match the new 787? And will they finally join SkyTeam?
Old May 8, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Will they announce refurbishing of the existing fleet to match the new 787?

From the press release (bolding mine)...

AIRCRAFT LIVERY AND LOGO
The updated logo and livery was overseen by Ove Brand Design. Boeing and Teague, a Seattle-based design firm, implemented the design on the aircraft.

The font has been updated to Bliss, give the WestJet wordmark a more uniform and current style, while retaining the Maple Leaf symbol in a more contemporary and bold look. The logo also now uses a single colour to soften the regional emphasis on "west."

In addition to the updated stylized Maple Leaf on the aircraft tail, another nod to WestJet's heritage is in the form of the Canadian flag appearing at the front of the aircraft. The new livery will also marry both of Canada's official languages with, "The Spirit of Canada" appearing on one side of the aircraft and the French translation, "L'esprit du Canada" on the other, both extending across the middle of the aircraft fuselage.

The livery will gradually appear across WestJet's entire fleet as new aircraft are delivered in 2018 and as aircraft are repainted in their normal cycle. The Boeing 737 MAX-8 will be the first aircraft in the new livery appearing in June.

This summer, WestJet's growing fleet will operate an average of 777 daily flights to 90 destinations. The airline recently announced its first foray to the European mainland with daily direct flights between Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ) and Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) in Paris starting May 31.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold; WJ Gold
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Agreed, I like the livery, the interior looks distinctive and sleek. It will be interesting to see how this impacts further fleet considerations; the 787 looks like a full service experience but does not match the narrow-body fleet experience. Will they announce refurbishing of the existing fleet to match the new 787? And will they finally join SkyTeam?
The interview video towards the bottom of the 787 page has a mockup of the 737 (either 800 or MAX) in the new livery.
And I can only hope on SkyTeam, although not sure what'd I'd predict at this moment...
Old May 8, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Wow! I was not expecting that! It looks very "premium"! I wonder what the actual seat count will be though...especially in J. With this, I wonder if they'll introduce domestic J? I imagine it would be tough to sell J for YVR-YYZ-Europe or something like that with a 4 hour transcon in a Euro-style PY seat...

This really makes me wonder where they'll fly these planes...I really thought they'd focus on leisure routes, but a competitive J cabin and (fingers crossed) Skyteam membership would certainly warrant some interesting route additions!
Old May 8, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Looks like 16J in a 1-2-1 configuration from the website.

As for refurb, I didn't mean just livery, I meant actually providing a proper premium cabin on narrowbody aircraft instead of Euro PY. Livery is pretty but I'm more concerned about hard product.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Looking sleek WJ. Well done. Love the "Spirit of Canada" How many of these are due for delivery in the next 2 years?
Old May 8, 2018, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Very cool J cabin and seats. Looks almost exactly like the pods & seats I flew on AA's new B789.

QR, AA and now WS chose the same pods but what looks like completely different seats than AC.

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....8/westjet-787/

Old May 8, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
The Facebook stream was unwatchable.

I will have to wait and see how the new business class and premium economy is priced relative to Air Canada before drawing too many conclusions.

Unfortunately it is my expectation that Economy will be every bit as horrific as Air Canada's slave ships.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Error 601

I will have to wait and see how the new business class and premium economy is priced relative to Air Canada before drawing too many conclusions.

Unfortunately it is my expectation that Economy will be every bit as horrific as Air Canada's slave ships.

Lucky's column had the new WS 787 video. Posted today.

Easy to watch and pretty clear.

Old May 8, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Error 601
I was just imagining the Facebook live broadcast done in a similar way to Facebook's baseball broadcasts. They would have live commentators that would:

- Butcher every name that wasn't on the Mayflower's passenger manifest.
- Talk more about themselves and the viewer's reactions than the actual event.
- Have very limited knowledge of the event.
- Cover the screen with endless scrolling hearts and happy faces.

But according to Error 601 it was unwatchable for other reasons.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by smallmj
But according to Error 601 it was unwatchable for other reasons.
The audio feed was just background noise, the stage was poorly lit and the speaker was just a pale face lost in the crowd.

I have been in depositions that were better produced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.