Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Baggage handling and cooperation with British Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:03 am
Original Poster

I'm currently looking at traveling from AMS-LHR-YVR-YYJ on a ticket booked through British Airways, with the YVR-YYJ segment being a West Jet flight and the rest being all British Airways.

My understanding is that there is no longer any kind of partnership between WestJet and BA (neither codeshare nor interline), so I'm wondering if I can count on it being possible to check my baggage all the way through to YYJ when I check-in in AMS. I know that I'll have to claim my baggage in YVR for customs, but I mostly want to know whether or not I'll actually have to re-check them in YVR, or just drop them off on the belt.

I'm particularly interested in this because I'll be traveling with a bike bag, and don't want to be have to pay additional baggage fees for the final leg.

If the bags get checked all the way through to YYJ, I assume the same thing will happen on the return trip, and I'll have the same free baggage allowance on West Jet as is defined on my BA ticket (2 bags, as I'll be flying business class).

Also related, given I'll be flying business class (but don't have status on any airlines), is there any chance I'll be able to get into a lounge for the wait in YVR on my way to YYJ based on the fact that I'm arriving on a business class ticket on BA?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by greid
I'm particularly interested in this because I'll be traveling with a bike bag, and don't want to be have to pay additional baggage fees for the final leg.
I have had WestJet insist I owe baggage fees at the connection counter.

Since British Airways has their own lounge at YVR I doubt they have contracted for access to the Plaza Premium lounges.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Error 601
I have had WestJet insist I owe baggage fees at the connection counter.
Could you give me more background on this (i.e. what kind of ticket/route were you flying)? Were you able to successfully get out of paying baggage fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.