Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet and Sunwing planes collide at YYZ sparking a fire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet and Sunwing planes collide at YYZ sparking a fire

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I have no problem waiting for the TSB report.

Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by KDS777
..The captain should have determined if there was clear way away from the scene, and it looks like there was (but I wasn't there), and simply moved forward a bit to wait for emergency services.

Hey, I like Westjet, but the crew screwed up big time here IMHO, right after the ground handlers did.
Can a Captain (or anyone for that matter) just decide to "simply moved forward a bit"? This isn't a compact car pulling off the roadway to the curb. This is a huge aircraft with zero visibility other than out the front windows, hence the need for ground crew. Plus the danger of jet engines to anyone who may be on the ground near them. I doubt they are permitted to move even an inch without authorization. But hey, I could be wrong and I await those to tell me I am. But it seems to me that a Captain can't just decide to fire up the engines and move a 737 because he thinks it might be a good idea.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by KDS777
Notwithstanding the discussion about removing carry on luggage when evacuating..........IMHO there was no need.

The safety briefing for the emergency seat folks is quite clear, if you see fire outside the door do not open it.

The video is straightforward, and even he guy filming it says......"it's not our plane on fire".........and so much is evident in my 2 seconds of viewing it as well. A highly trained crew member should have been able to see that first hand.

It's obvious the WS aircraft is in minimal to no danger.

The WS aircrew lost their situational awareness, panicked, and dumped the entire pax load into the freezing winter for no reason, other than to place them in more danger had the burning Sunwing aircraft had a greater issue.

The captain should have determined if there was clear way away from the scene, and it looks like there was (but I wasn't there), and simply moved forward a bit to wait for emergency services.

Hey, I like Westjet, but the crew screwed up big time here IMHO, right after the ground handlers did.
Huh? I'm not sure what world of aviation safety you work in, but in the world of aviation safety I work in an airplane is evacuated when contact is made with another aircraft and a fire (in either aircraft) results. The highly trained crew did exactly what their safety training requires and acted accordingly. It was not obvious that the WS was in minimal danger, and even in that case, an evacuation is warranted if the crew feel the aircraft is in any sort of danger. The crew had no way of knowing just how serious the fire on the WG aircraft was, or what level of damage the WS aircraft received.

By your own admission you were not there, yet in the absence of any direct crew interviews and reports based on those interviews, you claim that the crew lost situational awareness - how did you come to that conclusion?

Originally Posted by Finkface
Can a Captain (or anyone for that matter) just decide to "simply moved forward a bit"? This isn't a compact car pulling off the roadway to the curb. This is a huge aircraft with zero visibility other than out the front windows, hence the need for ground crew. Plus the danger of jet engines to anyone who may be on the ground near them. I doubt they are permitted to move even an inch without authorization. But hey, I could be wrong and I await those to tell me I am. But it seems to me that a Captain can't just decide to fire up the engines and move a 737 because he thinks it might be a good idea.
The captain can not arbitrarily decide to move an aircraft at the airport, all airport movements require the permission and directions of ground controllers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.