Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy WestJet Dollars on Kijiji??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Buy WestJet Dollars on Kijiji??

Does anyone know if there are any drawbacks or any thing possible of going wrong when paying someone to transfer their westjet dollars to me at a lower cost.

Basically i found someone on kijiji willing to meet in person to sell 250 wsd for $200. They said we will meet in person and they will call westjet to transfer the wsd when i pay them.

Is this a good or bad idea?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
The alternative is to meet the person on side, have them book the flight WITH the westjet dollars, and give them $50. If it is over $250, put it on your credit card.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I'm leery of anything on Kijiji - too many stories of people buying things like concert tickets etc that turn out to be utterly worthless. Canuck's idea is a lot safer.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Not in a million years would I do this.

Even if the person isn’t scamming you (pretty decent probability of that) the booking options would then give a stranger on kijiji access to your credit card info and your flight records. A stranger booking on your behalf could change or cancel your reservation, leaving you high and dry. (If that person books a reservation for you, they have full access to your reservation — and you’ve given away your privacy.)
And if it’s an international reservation, you may also be handing out access to your passport info to an online stranger too.

From a trusted friend or family member? Sure. But a kijiji stranger? No way.

Do. Not. Do. It.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Costs 20 to transfer WJ $. My guess is you pay to do that, not him.

PS-it's a terrible idea to do this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mapleg
Costs 20 to transfer WJ $.
I wasn’t aware of that ... you can pay to transfer your WJ dollars to someone else?? Hmmm.

(Are there any restrictions around it? Most loyalty programs require it to be to a spouse or someone whose account has the same home address. Except for Aeroplan, where the cost to transfer points is pretty much the same as the full value of the points.)

Last edited by FlyerJ; Dec 21, 2017 at 5:19 pm
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:02 am

WestJet Dollars are fully transferable for a fee ($50 plus taxes); https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-...estjet-rewards
Q - "Can I transfer my WestJet dollars to another person who holds a WestJet Rewards account?"
A - "Yes. You are allowed to transfer WestJet dollars of any amount to another account holder for a fee of $50-$59 per transfer. The fee must be paid with a credit card at the time of transfer. To request a transfer of WestJet dollars, please call us at 1-888-937-8538 and we’ll confirm the details and obtain your payment information. Please allow up to two business days for your transfer to be processed."

Bear in mind that some WSD have expiry dates and none can be used for anything other than base fare.

If in fact the credit is a Travel Bank credit, not a WSD credit, then the procedures are different: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-...travel-credits
Read the section on "Fraudulent Transactions" if you plan to acquire credits from someone. All credits have an expiry which will be no longer than 12 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.