Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

How strict is WestJet about checked luggage size?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I think WestJet's website says checked luggage can't be any bigger than 62 linear inches. My suitcase is about 64 linear inches. What are the odds that I'll be caught? If I do, what will happen?

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:50 am

For bags in the range of 62 to 80” and 23 to 45kg, the oversize/overweight fee is $75 plus taxes: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...s/service-fees

Assuming it is just 2” over and not also overweight, it is likely within the measurement tolerance that an agent will accept without applying the charge, especially if it is a soft shell vs a hard shell.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aerobod
For bags in the range of 62 to 80” and 23 to 45kg, the oversize/overweight fee is $75 plus taxes: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...s/service-fees

Assuming it is just 2” over and not also overweight, it is likely within the measurement tolerance that an agent will accept without applying the charge, especially if it is a soft shell vs a hard shell.
Weight won't be an issue. Have you ever seen WestJet measuring the size of a suitcase? I have only flew WestJet once in my life and I haven't seen them measure anyone's suitcase, but I just got a 28" hardshell spinner and I'm slightly worried that I might get their attention.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
You'll be fine.. oversize is generally only really enforced on obscure items.. then you'll see agents pullout the measuring tape
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by lsquare
I have only flew WestJet once in my life and I haven't seen them measure anyone's suitcase,
Now that's what I call a strong sample size.
lsquare and jljr1 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Now that's what I call a strong sample size.
LOL!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
To be honest it really depends on where and when you're flying. On many routes the majority of pax check bags, so there's more overhead space than you might expect. On other routes it's just the opposite, and the gate agents are begging people to check their bags at the jetway. Most Westjet GAs and FAs are pretty accommodating, providing that space for the bag actually exists.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Symmetre
To be honest it really depends on where and when you're flying. On many routes the majority of pax check bags, so there's more overhead space than you might expect. On other routes it's just the opposite, and the gate agents are begging people to check their bags at the jetway. Most Westjet GAs and FAs are pretty accommodating, providing that space for the bag actually exists.
This has nothing to do with the original question, mind you, which was about the size limit of checked bag and not carry-on bags.
At Toronto where you toss your own bag into a machine there was nobody checking for size limits and I doubt the laser scanner can measure small variances in size per the original question. Weight it can and probably does.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
This has nothing to do with the original question, mind you, which was about the size limit of checked bag and not carry-on bags.
At Toronto where you toss your own bag into a machine there was nobody checking for size limits and I doubt the laser scanner can measure small variances in size per the original question. Weight it can and probably does.
Right enough - my bad, I misread as a question concerning carry-on. Ignore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.