Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet flight change irks local passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

More bad news for the hurting YKF airport.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story...al-passengers/
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
"We're held ransom by WestJet," said Elmira's Mary Jane Lennox, who has used the flight for the past 10 years to visit family in Calgary.
A little melodramatic, no? It's a 56 minute drive to YYZ according to Google maps, which is about the same as Coquitlam to YVR. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I love how people are whining about how a corporation actually wants to increase its profits.
"Somebody got their spreadsheet out and decided they could make a few extra bucks," said Duncan.
Critics complain that WestJet, a company with annual sales of $4.1 billion, made the change to squeeze more revenue out of its fleet by not having planes sit idle overnight.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
If these passengers really want to fly mid-day, as Sopwith notes they can drive to YYZ in under an hour easily ... actually, more like 45 minutes because by then there will be no traffic whatsoever.

The ones who really get stung by this kind of change are the ground staff, who work the arriving flight at midnight then have to see the 6:15 am departure on its merry way. I'm not sure what happens in between but I don't see the point of hanging around a tiny little airport with zero facilities all night. Yet if they go home, it's only for perhaps a maximum of three hours before they're headed back to work. That's pretty tough. But increasingly, at smaller stations like YKF, YHM and YYG, it's the only way the airline can maintain the service at all.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Symmetre
If these passengers really want to fly mid-day, as Sopwith notes they can drive to YYZ in under an hour easily ... actually, more like 45 minutes because by then there will be no traffic whatsoever.

The ones who really get stung by this kind of change are the ground staff, who work the arriving flight at midnight then have to see the 6:15 am departure on its merry way. I'm not sure what happens in between but I don't see the point of hanging around a tiny little airport with zero facilities all night. Yet if they go home, it's only for perhaps a maximum of three hours before they're headed back to work. That's pretty tough. But increasingly, at smaller stations like YKF, YHM and YYG, it's the only way the airline can maintain the service at all.
Sounds like it is now an overnight return. So fairly quick turn early in the morning.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Yes, WS changed for the winter schedule to push flights to YKF and YXU to red-eyes from YYC and back early in the AM, presumably to get those planes back to YYC for other flights.

For all of you saying drive to YYZ, it's a major hassle when you have a local airport that provides this service to go. YXU is 2 hours away and YKF an hour, and the parking and security hassles alone add at least 30 minutes on top of that, maybe an hour, and with higher cost. No one living in these communities wants to do that, and if you lived there you'd get it (as opposed to being in your YYZ and YVR hubs). Having had to travel a ton from YXU in the past (I'm YYC based now) I can tell you - major hassle.
ottobud likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Yes, WS changed for the winter schedule to push flights to YKF and YXU to red-eyes from YYC and back early in the AM, presumably to get those planes back to YYC for other flights.

For all of you saying drive to YYZ, it's a major hassle when you have a local airport that provides this service to go. YXU is 2 hours away and YKF an hour, and the parking and security hassles alone add at least 30 minutes on top of that, maybe an hour, and with higher cost. No one living in these communities wants to do that, and if you lived there you'd get it (as opposed to being in your YYZ and YVR hubs). Having had to travel a ton from YXU in the past (I'm YYC based now) I can tell you - major hassle.
As usual - pick-your-poison.

Does YKF and YXU (or the respective communities) subsidize WestJet to provide service? If not, Westjet will schedule to make best use of their fleet - if the schedule doesn't work for people and loads drop it will vanish altogether.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
As usual - pick-your-poison.

Does YKF and YXU (or the respective communities) subsidize WestJet to provide service? If not, Westjet will schedule to make best use of their fleet - if the schedule doesn't work for people and loads drop it will vanish altogether.
YXU is fine, because WS has Encore to YYZ if you needed to do it and AC provides several flights a day. YKF is in a tougher spot.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I avoid red-eyes if I can, so my most recent trip to YVR had me fly out of YYZ (1 hour drive) instead of YHM (20 minute drive). It's a tossup for me, parking is more expensive at YYZ, but I do enjoy access to the priority screening line, and I can visit the lounge if I have too much time to kill. They had more flight options in and out of YHM in the summer time, especially for the return. I imagine those planes are used for other sunny destinations during the winter season. I'd love more flights in and out of YHM, and I guess WestJet does have some future plans here with a LCC, but I'm unsure whether the upcoming Swoop will offer attractive options for me as a business traveler out of YHM.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
I avoid red-eyes if I can, so my most recent trip to YVR had me fly out of YYZ (1 hour drive) instead of YHM (20 minute drive). It's a tossup for me, parking is more expensive at YYZ, but I do enjoy access to the priority screening line, and I can visit the lounge if I have too much time to kill. They had more flight options in and out of YHM in the summer time, especially for the return. I imagine those planes are used for other sunny destinations during the winter season. I'd love more flights in and out of YHM, and I guess WestJet does have some future plans here with a LCC, but I'm unsure whether the upcoming Swoop will offer attractive options for me as a business traveler out of YHM.
Business travelers - less of a problem. Most of the travellers using those airports are leisure. Imagine driving another 40 minutes with young children and no priority line or lounge?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan
If demand exists for a daytime flight then maybe Flair will step in. Or AC (lol). Airlines are under no obligation to provide any specific service. Sometimes people forget this. I wish that there was still a direct flight YHZ-YQB. I really wish there were a direct YHZ-DKR to cut the travel time to visit my sister by 70%. But if wishes were fishes...
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I live in the suburbs. YHM is much, much closer than YYZ and my travel there would go against the traffic, making it even more painless. But I wind up driving in to YYZ because YHM, like YKF, doesn't have many flights. It's not that much of a hassle, especially compared to the weird schedules that result from trying to make the little airport work.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I live in the suburbs. YHM is much, much closer than YYZ and my travel there would go against the traffic, making it even more painless. But I wind up driving in to YYZ because YHM, like YKF, doesn't have many flights. It's not that much of a hassle, especially compared to the weird schedules that result from trying to make the little airport work.
I get it. But YHM-YYZ is much closer that YXU-YYZ.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
My take on the flight changes, It's almost as if another lower cost airline will Swoop! in and save the day with daily service YXU/YKF-YYC.
smallmj likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Update!

WestJet decides to change YYC>YKF schedule.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story...-into-breslau/
pedantic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.