Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

AA flight operated by Westjet: Baggage allowance for elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL Silver!, Starwood Gold, Marriott Plat, AA Exec Platinum

I searched extensively prior to a recent flight from YYC-LAX on Westjet and could not find anything conclusive about baggage allowance as an executive platinum member of AA since WJ is basically only a mileage accrual partner for AA. This was a flight purchased via AA.com with an AA flight number, but operated by Westjet, and so per AA.com, it would be treated as an AA flight.

Good news! By presenting my EXP card as proof of status, I was given the 3-bag free allowance without any issue as if it were an AA-operated flight. I had previously called Westjet and over the phone they confirmed there are internal documents confirming this for AA elite members. No free upgrade to their "Plus" class, however.

Nice flight, crew, aircraft, and good option for One-World members between USA and Canada.

Note- AA.com was nearly twice the cost of the Westjet-direct flight...but with elite miles, EQD and free bags, I felt the difference was worth it.

YMMV
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
If you read some posts, the WS Gold members are not getting upgraded free or otherwise to their satisfaction, to Plus so I can see WS not doing anything for AA members of any status.

That said if Plus is available the upgrade cost is peanuts so one should do that if not paying for Plus to start with.

I think WS coach seating is insanely bad at any savings. Same with AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.