Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The only Golds on a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC E50K, TK Elite
I noticed that some upgrades seem to be automatically done through the computer? I was at the gate and when the gate agent scanned my boarding pass a message came up about my seat being changed which placed me in Plus.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I've checked in online and found I've been seated in Plus when I had just bought the standard Y ticket. That's always such a nice surprise, and I do appreciate it any time it happens.

But for longer flights, like Rick I'll just buy the Plus seat from the beginning and be done with it.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I bought a Plus ticket to Vancouver from Toronto for a few bucks over $1,000 so frankly that's a pretty good price and gambling not required.

Their check-in online process leaves a lot to be desired as it offers some pop-up to buy Plus which is pretty pointless.

And e-mail confirmations point out luggage is free - reason "Gold" when the reason is "Plus".

Their IT is something out of the 90's truly.
shore9 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by ricktoronto

Their check-in online process leaves a lot to be desired as it offers some pop-up to buy Plus which is pretty pointless.
I hate that...very annoying.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
When you are checking in on a paid Plus fare you have to wonder why they offer and what happens if you say yes - I assume they will charge you a fee for what you already bought.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I noticed when this "feature" first showed up several months ago that you had to wait a few seconds for it to disappear before you could proceed with your seat selection. As of last month, I saw that there is now a small "X" in the corner of the popup that allows you to close it immediately without waiting the few seconds. Still annoying, but a slight improvement.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:57 pm

When you are checking in on a paid Plus fare you have to wonder why they offer and what happens if you say yes - I assume they will charge you a fee for what you already bought.
Just for a lark I tried it several bookings ago (I lead a shallow and empty existence). It takes you all the way through to purchase and charges you an additional zero for the seat you already paid for.

So there's that.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:44 pm

So as pointless as saying you have free luggage because you are a Gold on a Plus ticket which is really the primary reason, since elite (well as elite as WS gets) is not the primary reason.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:11 pm

So as pointless as saying you have free luggage because you are a Gold on a Plus ticket which is really the primary reason, since elite (well as elite as WS gets) is not the primary reason.
Yes, exactly that pointless.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:44 am

I guess they don't use actual passengers when they do QA on the web where these things would pop up and raise questions as to their value (none) and degree of confusion (some), and undercuts or suggests at least the value of the Plus purchase might not be there (e.g. hey what would it say if I wasn't Gold - I paid for Plus - would I not get my luggage - what gives)?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
The "system" doesn't upgrade Econo fares, that's for sure, and many out-stations are highly discouraged from processing upgrades at the gate or chceck-in (unless paid or you are using a welcome voucher)
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:03 pm

The offer of Plus for what I think is quite a reasonable price should be the only way to get to Plus if you don't buy Plus to start with (and that's the even smarter way).

Other airlines that offer paid upgrades are not as cheap if they offer it at all (or they want points plus fees, like AA or upgrade credits or full fare Y/B as the base fare which is often more than the less flexible Plus would have cost to begin with) , and if you really "expect" Plus and can get an assured upgrade for a few bucks 24 hours before why gamble for some gate upgrade that seems to be a crapshoot if they even do it?

I am amazed there are Plus seats available at the gate to mooch for as a Gold. I have yet to see empty Plus seats so far this year. I assume the smart people are paying for Plus from day one or at check-in.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
The "system" doesn't upgrade Econo fares, that's for sure, and many out-stations are highly discouraged from processing upgrades at the gate or chceck-in (unless paid or you are using a welcome voucher)
As a Gold member, I've been upgraded by "the system" recently on an Econo fare...I did OLCI around T-8 and I'd been automatically assigned seat 1D.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
As a Gold member, I've been upgraded by "the system" recently on an Econo fare...I did OLCI around T-8 and I'd been automatically assigned seat 1D.
Same here, several times I've been "automatically" upgraded to plus a few days before departure, I haven't detected a pattern yet. I assumed it was because of an expensive flex fare, but just this past week they put me in plus on a cheap econo fare for the outbound, but didn't for the return flight two days later (that I upgraded myself on checkin). I'm certainly not complaining, I appreciate these little unofficial "perks" as a gold tier member, I still have a bunch more flights before the end of the year that will definitely be on Westjet!

On my last flight a few days ago, during early boarding, the head flight attendant went out of her way to greet me by name and thank me for my business and loyalty!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: WestJet Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I'm pretty sure some have been asking about this so as an FYI..

Starting this week in YYZ/YEG/YYC/YVR.. there will be dedicated check-in counters for both WestJet Gold Members & Guests seated in plus.
Arthurrs likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.