Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus WestJet Dollars

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Between, sorry I thought I was being witty.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I book travel when I need to. If there's an incentive at the time, great. As it happened I did need to book a trip at some point over the weekend, so I used the $50. Thanks, Westjet. It's appreciated.

These offers are no different than the promo codes AC used to send out in their emails ... book by such-and-such a date and get 10% off or 15% off ... so I don't understand the animosity. If you can use it, good for you. If not, then who cares?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I book travel when I need to. If there's an incentive at the time, great. As it happened I did need to book a trip at some point over the weekend, so I used the $50. Thanks, Westjet. It's appreciated.

These offers are no different than the promo codes AC used to send out in their emails ... book by such-and-such a date and get 10% off or 15% off ... so I don't understand the animosity. If you can use it, good for you. If not, then who cares?
These are way better than AC's % off.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by keitherson
These are way better than AC's % off.
It all depends how expensive your flight is.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It all depends how expensive your flight is.
I'll trade you all the AC % off coupons I can find for bonus 50 WestJet dollars each time. Guaranteed. And so would the rest of Canada.

15% off base fare = minimum $333.33 assuming no taxes in a fare. So we're looking at usually $500 commitment (given average taxes on a ticket) to a reservation to match WestJet's Dollars.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'll trade you all the AC % off coupons I can find for bonus 50 WestJet dollars each time. Guaranteed. And so would the rest of Canada.
Most Canadians are smarter than that. You must only book cheap short-haul fares. With the ridiculously high fares both airlines charge for anywhere I care to go, I'd make out much better with 15% off.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:02 am

Most Canadians are smarter than that. You must only book cheap short-haul fares. With the ridiculously high fares both airlines charge for anywhere I care to go, I'd make out much better with 15% off.
Why aren't you Super Elite 100K (and flying WestJet) if you're spending $500+ on tickets on a whim constantly?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Sometimes the short hauls are not cheap at all, especially if booked close to the actual travel date. I've flown on turboprop flights - booked the day before - that cost more than transcons.

Point being, regardless of whether it's offered as a percentage or a cash value, any discounts are much appreciated. Again, I don't understand the animosity around a discount offer. Who doesn't like saving a few bucks?

Good grief.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Jono
So I bit the bullet today and booked a work trip that I was planning for a few weeks from now and used up the bonus dollars. But I was pretty sure the price of the trip was $50 cheaper last time I checked on Friday. I'll see if the price drops again tomorrow once the bonus dollar promotion ends!
Update: The day after the bonus dollars expired, my flight was the same price. But today, two days later, a new sale shows up, and it is $100 cheaper! Could these bonus dollars be a sign that a sale is imminent?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:56 am

Update: The day after the bonus dollars expired, my flight was the same price. But today, two days later, a new sale shows up, and it is $100 cheaper! Could these bonus dollars be a sign that a sale is imminent?
More than once I have noticed a seat sale comes after the bonus dollars have expired. I don't think it's a coincidence.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I have received the $50 bonuses during sales.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I would much rather have 10 or 15% off. I have two flights with WS this year and $2,800 in total spent. $50 is a paltry percentage. Not even 2%.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Why aren't you Super Elite 100K (and flying WestJet) if you're spending $500+ on tickets on a whim constantly?
Because I've been flying on my bank of United miles for the past four years. Both Air Canada and WestJet charge ridiculous fares because of the duopoly.

I don't spend that moch on tickets - that's just how much they charge. And that's why I've never flown within Canada further east than Calgary.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:15 am
Original Poster

And another $50 appeared today (expiring tomorrow). This is starting to have the uneasy feeling of desperation on WestJet's part.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
And another $50 appeared today (expiring tomorrow). This is starting to have the uneasy feeling of desperation on WestJet's part.
Oh it just reeks of desperation, especially just after posting record load factors for June.

WestJet reports record June load factor of 82.9 per cent

Airline increases traffic by 8.9 per cent, achieves a record second quarter load factor of 82.8 per cent

CALGARY, July 13, 2017 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced June 2017 traffic results with a record load factor of 82.9 per cent, an increase of 2.5 percentage points year over year. Revenue passenger miles (RPMs), or traffic, increased 8.9 per cent year over year, and capacity, measured in available seat miles (ASMs), grew 5.7 per cent over the same period. For the second quarter of 2017, the airline achieved a record load factor of 82.8 per cent, an increase of 2.0 percentage points year over year, and flew a record 5.9 million guests, a year over year increase of 11.5 per cent or approximately 608,000 additional guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.