Wiki Posts
Search

Is West Jet Status 'worth it'?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2016, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
Is West Jet Status 'worth it'?

Starting January I move into a new position that will require a moderate amount of Canadian Travel across Western Canada. In the past I have stuck with AC (going to WS when the price dictates it) mostly because when I add in one or two international trips I get their base level status.

So my question - is WS status really worth anything? I can get lounge access via CC and only do carryon. So does WS status (silver or gold) provide any other superior services like priority boarding/lines? Upgrades to plus?

I'm soon to book my flights for January/February and debating switching to WS..

Just looking at their info it seems kinda underwhelming....
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:02 am

Have been WS gold for the past few years, with a few breaks in between.

Although not really published, there are three instances where I have been upgraded to plus for free:

1) with vouchers

They will send you a welcome kit when you hit gold. This is a one time only thing, from what I have been told, and not recurrent. The kit has four plus vouchers.

2) paged by gate agents

This is more rare these days. However, if there is space in plus, sometimes the gate agents will page gold members and upgrade them. Had this happen in the states once or twice.

3) Random computer generated upgrades

This has been confirmed by WS staff on this forum that gold members are occasionally upgraded for free on a random basis.

I think the biggest perk of status is the companion fares. I have gotten a lot of value out of these passes, especially using them at peak travel times. Have saved between $400 and $650 per pass.

The priority boarding, luggage allowance, and lounge passes are nice as well.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I believe WestJet's status is totally worthwhile. As was mentioned, the companion fares, priority boarding and extra luggage allowance are all useful benefits. Occasional surprise upgrades to Plus are always appreciated. And the ability to make same-day changes at no cost is a great benefit.

The problem with AC's program is that the E25 and E35 levels are essentially worthless, especially if the OP already has a CC that delivers many of their key benefits to begin with. And to maintain status with AC, you'll be pretty much obligated to purchase Flex or higher ticket classes, so you earn full value for your trip. For the OP, what's your employer's policy on you purchasing a higher priced fare strictly so you can earn those extra points?

While it is true that AC has a J cabin in most of its planes and WS has more of a premium economy product in Plus, the reality is that as a low-tier flyer with AC, you're unlikely to ever see the front of the plane when you have so many SEs. E75s and E50s ahead of you in the upgrade queue. As a low-tier flier, upgrades are a possible, but unlikely benefit. With the number of upgrade credits low level fliers receive (and are charged back) you're talking maybe one or two in a year at best. Since most domestic flights are only an hour or two in duration, is it really worth paying a premium in Flex fares for that? With low level status you won't be upgrading on overseas flights in any case - it's not allowed.

My view is that WestJet's program delivers more practical benefits I can actually use. While AC does a nice job marketing their program to make it look attractive, as a veteran of both I find WestJet's program to be of more practical value, especially if you have the CC benefits to begin with.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I find myself in the same quandry; I gold matched from AC, but because AC pissed me off last year I moved most of my business down to the US and started flying primarily US route. Still did over 40 flights in Canada this year, and sadly, only accumulated $4k WS spend with an annual date of Nov 30 (2 more days). (Yes, that means AC still saw my money, albeit less than $15k)

I'm faced with some idle time this month, and could easily MR the $2k difference, but is there much benefit for someone who only buys Plus fares? (Or flex T-24 and buys the plus upgrade on checkin)

I guess even at the 4k tier it's already 5% accumulation for WS dollars...

I fly Mrs. Cargo frequently, but she is rarely flying on the same fare/flight, so I assume the companion coupons are not super useful in my case?

Edit: AmexPlat for PPL access, so the lounge vouchers are also a loss, unless I can give them away?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
Thanks - and DrunkCargo I read a bit about your exploits.

This did a good job confirming what I had thought. The only reason I even ask this questions is because AC status, at the low level, doesn't really do me much. WS seems a little more practical.

I hadn't really considered the companion fare and does sound very attractive.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:04 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
If you're only flying within Western Canada, the benefits of status with either are debatable.

Checked Luggage: both offer some freebies. If you're only traveling for work, are you even checking luggage though? If you are, does your work/business pay for this? Would it already be included in your fare class?

Priority Luggage handling vs regular luggage handling: the time difference for this, IMHO, is 5 minutes in most Canadian aiports.

Priority boarding (WS Gold / E35k+): only really relevant if you have a carry on (eg haven't checked luggage; see above). Even then, if the flight is full and you're last to board it could probably be gate checked for free. If it's not full, then there's room in an overhead *somewhere*. If not that, then your flights are all less than 2 hours in W. Canada and it can be stowed under the seat

Fast Track Security: NEXUS card handles this quite nicely. Also, YEG (and YYC?) give access to this for same day RT within AB.

Lounge Access: the WS lounges are pay as you go; some offer a discount with a WS BP. If you have a cc that includes it, great. AC lounges can be purchased too (Maple Leaf Lounge Pass).

Contact Centre Priority: this is one benefit that can't be accessed easily without status.

Standby / Same Day Changes: greater latitude and reduced fees with status. Again, would business/work pay for this if you didn't have status? How often does one need a SDC?

It's a real toss up. The preferential treatment gained with status is "invaluable", but it does come at a cost...
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by stevescott1983
Thanks - and DrunkCargo I read a bit about your exploits.

This did a good job confirming what I had thought. The only reason I even ask this questions is because AC status, at the low level, doesn't really do me much. WS seems a little more practical.

I hadn't really considered the companion fare and does sound very attractive.
My annual cutoff just passed, but my tier hasn't changed... only my WS dollar earning has dropped back to 1%? Not entirely sure how this thing works.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by YEGcg
Lounge Access: the WS lounges are pay as you go; some offer a discount with a WS BP.
With Gold status, you get ten free admissions.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Let me tell you why it is worth it to me. I am a fairly frequent WS flier. I believe I am at 57 flights this year, and still have 4 months to go until my year end. Will probably end around 75-80. I am based in Western Canada, so am quite well served. Most of my work trips are within Western Canada, with a few to Toronto, New York, Phoenix. And I generally use WS for personal trips as well.

I am 31 years old, with no kids. Just a girlfriend. This is an important fact, because I think once you have a family, companion passes may become less valuable, because you can't use your BOGO unless you are one of the fliers. IE, you cant buy one for yourself, get your wife free, and then buy one for your kid, and get the other kid free.

- The westjet dollars are nice, but not enough to make my decision for me. Maybe with bonus's, etc. I get $1000 free, which is certainly a nice touch.
-Same day flight changes for free. This is a BIG perk for me. I never know how long my days are going to go, and when I am done, I really want to get home on the next available flight. That being said, it is VERY annoying to have to wait in the "guest assistance" line to change a flight. Sometimes I have to wait 30+ minutes, and this makes me miss the cutoff for the next available flight. Ridiculous. WS needs a GOLD counter desperately.
-Companion Vouchers. Here is the big reason I choose WS over Air Canada. I generally get 1 BOGO domestic, and 2 BOGO anywhere westjet flies. I am however disappointed that they changed expiry from 2 years, to 1 year. They should allow Gold members to have 2 years until expiry of their passes.
We use one of the BOGO 'anywhere we fly' every New Years to do a trip to a sun destination. Obviously flights are very expensive over this time, so we generally save about $1000 for this single BOGO.
We use the other BOGO's for similarily expensive flights (long weekends, christmas, etc) and generally I see a savings of about $500-700 on each of those. Anything less, and I just pay for both flights.

So, between WS Dollars, and my 3 certificates, I find I get about $3500 per year in value. OF course, there is the priority boarding, checked bags, etc etc, but I don't value those too high as I would get those with any airline.

Would I get better value with Air Canada? I'm not sure. I've never really done the detailed math. I do collect hoards of AP points on my business credit card spend, so if we are doing a big international mini-RTW, I still have plenty of AP for J trips there.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by stevescott1983
Starting January I move into a new position that will require a moderate amount of Canadian Travel across Western Canada. In the past I have stuck with AC (going to WS when the price dictates it) mostly because when I add in one or two international trips I get their base level status.

So my question - is WS status really worth anything? I can get lounge access via CC and only do carryon. So does WS status (silver or gold) provide any other superior services like priority boarding/lines? Upgrades to plus?

I'm soon to book my flights for January/February and debating switching to WS..

Just looking at their info it seems kinda underwhelming....
Answers to the questions posted below would allow me to answer you question "what is the better FFP for me".

(1) What is your closest airport?
(2) Do other people in your company fly WS? what are their experiences like?
(3) What are you frequent destinations?
(4) What do you project to be your travel pattern? e.g. YYC-YEG r/t then YYC-YXE r/t or YYC-YEG-YXE-YYC multicity trips.
(5) Does your employer force you to use a specific credit card company?
(6) What is your corporate travel policy on expensing travel perks such as lounge access, seat selection, buy on board, etc.?
(7) What is the corporate travel policy for appropriate fare bucket purchase? For example, I have worked at two companies that allowed AC Flex (which includes status miles and paid seat selection), but only allowed WS econo (and did not allow seat selection reimbursement).
(8) What in your mind are the most important perks of Altitude program?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.