Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet to serve McDonald's coffee

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Westjet to serve McDonald's coffee

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mccaf-...100000005.html

Guests to enjoy McCafé Premium Roast Coffee on board more than 650 daily flights

CALGARY , Nov. 21, 2016 /CNW/ - WestJet announced today it has partnered with McDonald's® Canada in a move that will see the restaurant's McCafé Premium Roast coffee available on board WestJet aircraft.

The first flight, taking place on November 21, 2016 , from Toronto to Calgary , represents a global-first for McDonald's and an unprecedented next step in the McCafé coffee journey, which in recent years has continued its emphasis on providing Canadians with A New Way to Café.

By December 1 , WestJet will offer McCafé Premium Roast coffee across its fleet of Boeing 737NG and 767NG aircraft with the company's regional airline, WestJet Encore, to follow.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Another reason not to fly WS! McDonalds coffee is terrible watered down stuff. IMO, 4N has the best in-air coffee in Canada, followed by PD with Starbucks and probably AC with Second Cup in a distant third.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I should hope it's watered down!

It would be undrinkable otherwise
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Hmmm, maybe I should bring a hand grinder and my aeropress on board!
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Another reason not to fly WS! McDonalds coffee is terrible watered down stuff. IMO, 4N has the best in-air coffee in Canada, followed by PD with Starbucks and probably AC with Second Cup in a distant third.
Clearly you've burned-out your tastebuds on Starbucks, the greatest coffee scam in history.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC SE
Good to see WS making an effort in the coffee space. I don't fly WS as often as AC or UA, but I've found their current coffee to be undrinkable. McDonald's isn't my favorite coffee, but it'll be an upgrade from their current offerings, and probably a smart promotion opportunity for McDonald's as well.

FWIW, I think UA's illy coffee is probably the best out of the major North American carriers, although I'll admit I haven't tried 4N (what coffee do they serve?).
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

http://flyairnorth.com/Experience/our-service.aspx
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Actually I don't mind McD coffee, especially if they serve an Egg McMuffin on the am flights..
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:21 pm

now Tim Hortons is scrabbling to get into the airline coffee business.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I should hope it's watered down!

It would be undrinkable otherwise
I guess you've never had good coffee. If you can't stand a spoon in it, it's not worth drinking. Give me a good Turkish coffee any day.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by redsunsdriver
now Tim Hortons is scrabbling to get into the airline coffee business.
The old management at WS would have ensured it was Tim Horton's even if the price was not as good as McD's. Tim's is more fitting the WS image and more likely the go-to coffee of most of its customers. Of course, Tim's has been reluctant to sell to airlines before because it felt it could not be prepared at high altitudes to the same consistent quality since the water would not boil at the high temperature demanded. Inflight coffee machines have improved in that regard.

Next logical step would be to have McD's cater the BoB items, but IIRC WS doesn't have ovens so that's unlikely since most McD items would have to be heated.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Budget airline = Budget coffee.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
Originally Posted by Shareholder
The old management at WS would have ensured it was Tim Horton's even if the price was not as good as McD's. Tim's is more fitting the WS image and more likely the go-to coffee of most of its customers. Of course, Tim's has been reluctant to sell to airlines before because it felt it could not be prepared at high altitudes to the same consistent quality since the water would not boil at the high temperature demanded. Inflight coffee machines have improved in that regard.

Next logical step would be to have McD's cater the BoB items, but IIRC WS doesn't have ovens so that's unlikely since most McD items would have to be heated.
Apparently Tim Hortons did try to get this deal http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle32949736/

"Tim Hortons Inc., the country’s largest café chain, has yet to partner with an airline and, according to industry sources, was unsuccessful in trying to nab the WestJet coffee business. Starbucks Canada also failed to win the WestJet contract, the sources said."
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I guess you've never had good coffee. If you can't stand a spoon in it, it's not worth drinking. Give me a good Turkish coffee any day.
Just bring your own jar of instant coffee then. Store a spoon in the jar and help yourself!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by stevescott1983
Apparently Tim Hortons did try to get this deal http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle32949736/

"Tim Hortons Inc., the country’s largest café chain, has yet to partner with an airline and, according to industry sources, was unsuccessful in trying to nab the WestJet coffee business. Starbucks Canada also failed to win the WestJet contract, the sources said."
I said "even if the price was not as good" implying I was aware Tim's had been in the bidding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.