Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Less Desirable West Jet seats

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Less Desirable West Jet seats

What does it mean on West Jet's seat maps when they designate some of their seats as "less desirable"?
Old May 13, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by brennajm
What does it mean on West Jet's seat maps when they designate some of their seats as "less desirable"?
It usually means they don't recline as they are in front of the exit row seats and the ones right at the back of the plane.

If you want a more desirable seat you can take your chances and wait for online check-in to see if you can grab an exit row seat for free.
Old May 13, 2016, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by radnub
It usually means they don't recline as they are in front of the exit row seats and the ones right at the back of the plane.

If you want a more desirable seat you can take your chances and wait for online check-in to see if you can grab an exit row seat for free.
Just be aware exit row seats on some planes are worst than regular seats. Noticed that on a -700 (C-FKWS). Right side seats are rather squishy with the pair (row 11?) especially so. Left hand side row 12 is however very roomy (other than cold window seat due to air leakage and short arm rest).

Did wait until T-24 to grab these seats.
Old May 16, 2016, 11:41 am
Original Poster

I prefer window seats especially during day flights as I enjoy the scenery below (assuming it can be seen). As this will be my first trip to Canada, I'll be excited to see everything possible. Obviously it's a pain having to disturb people when nature calls but I usually do my best to avoid that if I can. I also don't mind the back row seats as often they are not full and so there's room to move which brings me to ask if the armrests are fuxed or moveable on West Jet?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: AP, SPG, DL
Can I book a less desirable seat now (for free) and then at check-in (24 hrs prior) MOVE to an exit row if available?
This would allow me to guarantee 3 seats side by side in row 10 (so a family group can sit together) for free, with the option of moving to an exit row, or for that matter any other "better" row with three adjacent seats available at check-in time.

Has anyone used this strategy? Any Pros/cons?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by tagor
Can I book a less desirable seat now (for free) and then at check-in (24 hrs prior) MOVE to an exit row if available?
This would allow me to guarantee 3 seats side by side in row 10 (so a family group can sit together) for free, with the option of moving to an exit row, or for that matter any other "better" row with three adjacent seats available at check-in time.

Has anyone used this strategy? Any Pros/cons?
Unless you bought Plus fares you still have to pay for early seat selection although the less desirable seats might be cheaper. As it has been reported by others if you bought your tickets together as a family you will most likely be sitting next to each other.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: AP, SPG, DL
Originally Posted by radnub
Unless you bought Plus fares you still have to pay for early seat selection although the less desirable seats might be cheaper. As it has been reported by others if you bought your tickets together as a family you will most likely be sitting next to each other.
I think this might be wrong? Either that or I had a "glitch" because I bought the base econo fare, and was able to choose less desirable seats in row 10 for free just now..... I got row 10 DEF with $0 payment due. They show confirmed on my itinerary.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:04 pm

I think this might be wrong? Either that or I had a "glitch" because I bought the base econo fare, and was able to choose less desirable seats in row 10 for free just now..... I got row 10 DEF with $0 payment due. They show confirmed on my itinerary.
I just did a dummy booking and yes, you are correct. A regular row was $21 but the 'less desirable' ones had no price showing! Good to know (...and hope it's not a glitch in the system).

Last edited by radnub; Jun 5, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I just did the same for our round trip flights to San Juan next February. I went to "manage my booking" booked in row 13 (-800 plane), exit row, good legroom but seats don't recline (either do the row in front of us so that helps) both flights for no fee! We love the legroom in the exit row.....
This may be a glitch but it shows up now on our itinery so I don't think they could charge us now.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
I just did the same for our round trip flights to San Juan next February. I went to "manage my booking" booked in row 13 (-800 plane), exit row, good legroom but seats don't recline (either do the row in front of us so that helps) both flights for no fee! We love the legroom in the exit row.....
This may be a glitch but it shows up now on our itinery so I don't think they could charge us now.
This is not a glitch, just the way the system works at the moment for seats marked as less desirable.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aerobod
This is not a glitch, just the way the system works at the moment for seats marked as less desirable.
No charge would be coming though, would it?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
No charge would be coming though, would it?
No, but the lack of a fee for reserving a less desirable seat is just a temporary "feature" due to the way seat types currently have to be associated with seat fees. No guarantee future bookings will have this feature!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
L is for lesson, less desirable

Man, I paid the price for not examining the seat map in more detail during OLCI as wound up in row 9 on a 736 today and it was much tighter than any other WS seat I've ever been in. Still kicking myself for not upgrading to Plus but luckily the YWG-YEG is a mercifully short flight.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by brennajm
I also don't mind the back row seats as often they are not full and so there's room to move which brings me to ask if the armrests are fuxed or moveable on West Jet?
Any of WestJet's 737 series planes that I've been on in recent years have had movable armrests. At least the middle one are movable, can't remember about the aisle end.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Any of WestJet's 737 series planes that I've been on in recent years have had movable armrests. At least the middle one are movable, can't remember about the aisle end.
I'm not sure about the new Recaro seats, but on the old ones you could feel around on the underside of the aisle-end armrest ... there was a very small, spring-loaded metal pin you could slide back which would unlock the armrest and allow you to swing it up.

Now that I think about it, I'll have to give it a try with the new seats, just to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.