Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

cancel first leg of return flight to US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Is there any consequence other than the cancellation fee if I cancel my Canada to US flight and just want to use the return flight?

I will already be in the US for another
trip so can't use the original flight I booked to the US
Y
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by JohnOClark
Is there any consequence other than the cancellation fee if I cancel my Canada to US flight and just want to use the return flight?

Y
There is a very good chance that cancelling the first leg will wipe out the second. You will have to talk to WS, who will consider it a change to the itn and charge you the change or cancellation fees. Except you are not really cancelling the whole thing. If your within 24 hours you can do it for free. A tip. I usually buy separate tickets out bound and return. It's not much more, a bit of a diff in tax here and there. But if you have to throw one away, depending on destination its often cheaper than the change fees and having it recalculated at a different rate.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Not taking the first flight will almost without doubt lead to cancellation of the remaining flights in the itinerary.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
If you don't get on any leg of your flight, the rest will be cancelled.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:21 am

Y
Assuming non of the legs have been flown yet and you haven't checked in for the first one, you may be able to change the booking online (assuming booked via WestJet originally, if not you will have to go through your online or other travel agent). Basically you will just remove your outbound leg during the change, and receive a credit in WestJet TravelBank dollars for that leg minus the change fee ($75 for Econo plus relevant taxes): https://www.westjet.com/mobile/en/help/profile.shtml#5 If you can't do the change online, then the contact centre can do it for you.

All your other leg(s) will remain the same.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by aerobod
Assuming non of the legs have been flown yet and you haven't checked in for the first one, you may be able to change the booking online (assuming booked via WestJet originally, if not you will have to go through your online or other travel agent). Basically you will just remove your outbound leg during the change, and receive a credit in WestJet TravelBank dollars for that leg minus the change fee ($75 for Econo plus relevant taxes): https://www.westjet.com/mobile/en/help/profile.shtml#5 If you can't do the change online, then the contact centre can do it for you.

All your other leg(s) will remain the same.
You are forgetting about also having to pay for the fare difference. The new flight could be more expensive. If it isn't, you are OK.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:02 am

Your entire ticket will be refunded and rebooked as you will now be starting in a different country of origin; the res system can't handle a change where your starting country is different.

Call in and make the change; you should only be charged one fee for the change and chances are your return fare will be honoured (might be slightly different due to a different currency by staring out in the USA).

Cheers
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
You are forgetting about also having to pay for the fare difference. The new flight could be more expensive. If it isn't, you are OK.
If the return itinerary stays the same, there is no fare difference as re-booking is not required. WestJet O&Ds for the out and return is priced independently, but a contact centre agent will have to make the itinerary adjustments.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:25 am

If the return itinerary stays the same, there is no fare difference as re-booking is not required. WestJet O&Ds for the out and return is priced independently, but a contact centre agent will have to make the itinerary adjustments.
Good to know, thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:17 pm

I wish all your contact centre folks read that memo. It almost cost me a bundle a couple of years ago. They said it was a return ticket. Change any part of it and it's $$$. In the end I got a one time exemption, and they made the change. So now unless I'm 100% sure it's two one ways for me. Which has other advantages in short term flexibility, I won't go into that here, but old FT hands can prob guess.

Last edited by yul36; Feb 25, 2016 at 5:22 pm
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by yul36
I wish all your contact centre folks read that memo. It almost cost me a bundle a couple of years ago. They said it was a return ticket. Change any part of it and it's $$$. In the end I got a one time exemption, and they made the change. So now unless I'm 100% sure it's two one ways for me. Which has other advantages in short term flexibility, I won't go into that here, but old FT hands can prob guess.
Unfortunately I have over simplified the exchange process by not reading to the bottom of the rules, which I just scanned again. It looks as though if a transborder flight is US-Canada-US, then cancelling the US-Canada portion would allow the existing Canada-US flight to remain untouched, but the other way round would require a refund and a rebook. An original return booking can also be modified to drop the outbound segment and refund the difference minus the change fee if the segment is domestic-domestic, transborder-domestic, transborder-international and domestic-international if the original fare basis is still available, but all other combinations have to go to a refund to TravelBank and rebook.

The bottom line is that in some cases a change can be done without a rebook, others cases will require a rebook, though. This is where a sales agent will need to look at a specific ticket and check the exchange rules, but they do have some discretion on how the rebooking is done.

Sorry for my simplistic (and incorrect) answer initially!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

I have the answer from WestJet. Can't cancel outbound trip to US and keep return flight and fare. Whole ticket is cancelled and credit to Travel Bank. Then pay current fare for return flight.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:23 pm

I have the answer from WestJet. Can't cancel outbound trip to US and keep return flight and fare. Whole ticket is cancelled and credit to Travel Bank. Then pay current fare for return flight.
So not really 2 one ways. What about the change or Cancellation fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.