Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hypothetical Situation: An Extremely Obese Passenger in Your Row

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.

I was recently on a flight where a nearby row had an extremely obese passenger in the middle seat who was severely imposing on the other two passengers. The English language doesn't have the words to describe the facial expression of the man who spent the entire flight crushed against the wall. The woman in the aisle seat got up repeatedly just to pace around.

If I had been in that row I would have asked to get off the plane as soon as the obese passenger boarded. What would have happened in that situation?

Would I have been accommodated on a later flight or just forfeited my fare?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by Error 601
I was recently on a flight where a nearby row had an extremely obese passenger in the middle seat who was severely imposing on the other two passengers. The English language doesn't have the words to describe the facial expression of the man who spent the entire flight crushed against the wall. The woman in the aisle seat got up repeatedly just to pace around.

If I had been in that row I would have asked to get off the plane as soon as the obese passenger boarded. What would have happened in that situation?

Would I have been accommodated on a later flight or just forfeited my fare?
Some airlines would charge the obese pax for 2 seats, though in this case it may not have helped. Would you be accommodated or forfit, I suspect it could go either way. The westjet of today is not the westjet of yore. If they wanted to be nice, they would offer to seat you elsewhere on the flight. If that was not an option you could bail if you have no bags and explain to the agent why you cannot sit there and ask to be moved to the next flight, If they charge you or not, is up to that wonderful thing called human dynamics. If you bail with checked bags they have to pull them, they might not be that nice when it comes to doing things for free.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:55 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Error 601,

With a system-wide average load factor of 80%, chances are you wouldn't need to take another flight - but just move to a different seat. Our crew would be more than happy to help.

The crew will not, however, approach a guest to ask if they want to move seats - as they do not know whether or not two guests are travelling together. (Specifically, we don't know whether or not two guests on separate bookings are travelling together.) So in this hypothetical situation maybe just escape to the washroom and chat to the crew in the galley.

In the unlikely event that this happens on a full flight, I'm sure that our airport team would be happy to accommodate you onto a different flight.

Cheers,
Darren
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned the flight was indeed completely full.

It seems like an extremely uncomfortable situation for all concerned.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:42 pm

Too bad more airlines don't have the same Customer of Size policy as Southwest. Although I have to admit I was shocked at theirs and can understand why more don't. It's definitely a tough situation when you are faced with it, which is why I don't fly more (being the customer of size)
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by DanJ
Too bad more airlines don't have the same Customer of Size policy as Southwest. Although I have to admit I was shocked at theirs and can understand why more don't. It's definitely a tough situation when you are faced with it, which is why I don't fly more (being the customer of size)
In Canada there are rules that must be followed by airlines that allow two seats for one fare, if needed and if a person makes prior arrangements, commonly known as the "one person, one fare" ruling, what SouthWest does is not allowed in Canada for domestic travel:

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/conten...olicy-decision

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...e-person.shtml
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
In Canada there are rules that must be followed by airlines that allow two seats for one fare, if needed and if a person makes prior arrangements, commonly known as the "one person, one fare" ruling, what SouthWest does is not allowed in Canada for domestic travel:

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/conten...olicy-decision

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...e-person.shtml
Southwest is actually more accommodating than Canadian airlines as they allow any person of size to have an extra seat for free. You can do so either by buying an extra seat in advance (which is refunded after you fly) or asking the agent at the airport who will give it to you for free. The advance purchase option exists to allow people who don't want to have a conversation about their size with agents to still be accommodated.

See: https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ce/extra-seat/

Canadian airlines require you to apply, prove you are disabled by your size with medical records, and then always book via the call centre. Not exactly easy...
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
As a former "customer of size" myself (still big, but no longer big enough to cause issues) I can see both sides of the argument. When I was that size I was more than aware of the impact it had on seat mates and tried to mitigate that as much as possible. My strategy was to request an aisle seat with a moveable aisle-side arm rest, to try to avoid impinging on other passengers. Maybe you could have offered the guy a seat switch? Customers of size in middle seats are a bad idea.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult
Southwest is actually more accommodating than Canadian airlines as they allow any person of size to have an extra seat for free. You can do so either by buying an extra seat in advance (which is refunded after you fly) or asking the agent at the airport who will give it to you for free. The advance purchase option exists to allow people who don't want to have a conversation about their size with agents to still be accommodated.

See: https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ce/extra-seat/

Canadian airlines require you to apply, prove you are disabled by your size with medical records, and then always book via the call centre. Not exactly easy...
Yeah, that form is a pain to have filled out. When I flew WN last month, it was simple. I paid for the second seat 3 days before I flew, and called and got the refund as soon as I got back and it was processed within a week. I could have booked it online with the original booking but I wasn't aware of the program then. Not sure how they might police someone who might be stocky but not obese, who simply wants the extra space and buys the extra seat knowing they will get refunded.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:57 am

I flew last year with a gentleman of size on the same row. It was very fortunate that our WS FA was able to relocate the lady in the middle seat, he was windows and I was aisle. First time I have ever seen seat belt extensions at work. The gentleman was extremely polite when asking for extension and even asked the FAs, as soon as he boarded, whether the middle pax can be relocated.

Editorial, I would like to see every airline simply charge a little more and provide a more humane flying environment for everyone, some day, I question whether a 30in pitch, 17 in. width is humane for flight of any length.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Iflyiny
I flew last year with a gentleman of size on the same row. It was very fortunate that our WS FA was able to relocate the lady in the middle seat, he was windows and I was aisle. First time I have ever seen seat belt extensions at work. The gentleman was extremely polite when asking for extension and even asked the FAs, as soon as he boarded, whether the middle pax can be relocated.

Editorial, I would like to see every airline simply charge a little more and provide a more humane flying environment for everyone, some day, I question whether a 30in pitch, 17 in. width is humane for flight of any length.

The problem with that is the majority of people don't want to pay more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.