Search

Thank you for choosing Westjet - NOT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM
Thank you for choosing Westjet - NOT

Just got a robo call "Thank you for choosing Westjet..."

Since I have never flown Westjet in my life and my phone number is on the Do Not Call List, what on earth is Westjet playing at? I would have thought that a company the size of Westjet would not risk the heavy fines associated with violating the DNCL
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:06 pm

WestJet has nothing to do with those.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, WestJet Gold, AC 35K
I encourage you to check out this link

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...rt/scams.shtml

Very good change your call was not from WestJet
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:26 pm

It is all a scam. I have gotten calls saying For being a valuable Westjet/Marriott/Airmiles...etc you have won points. I just hang up and block the number. None of these calls are from any of these companies.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Curious to know, what ,if anything is Westjet doing to put an end to the misrepresentation of the company ?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:12 pm

It calls like this time and again. westjet, air Canada, cruises, etc. I'm not sure how the scammers make money with that. Probably collecting data or rewiring a "deposit" of some sort?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ricski64
Curious to know, what ,if anything is Westjet doing to put an end to the misrepresentation of the company ?
Sadly, there's absolutely nothing that WestJet (or other victims, currently including Aeroplan, Marriott Hotels, and Air Miles) can do about it.

In the age of the Internet, it's not like the calls can be traced to any location or organization. They're using technology that spoofs local phone numbers in whatever area they're calling -- and not even Bell or Telus can stop them. These are the telephone version of "phishing" emails.

The calls are most likely coming from some overseas 'boiler room' call centers -- from some pretty sophisticated scam artists. The vast majority of people realize that they're scam calls . . . but there must be enough people responding (and handing over their credit card numbers) that it's still worthwhile for these crooks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.