Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet looking to charge for First bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet looking to charge for First bag

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Southwest does not have the Passenger Sales and Services IT systems to handle first charge bags like all other airlines. With the other difficulties at WN regarding their basic IT infrastructure, there are more important projects than first bag fees.

WS, B6 and others on SabreSonic CSS system have the same IT issues (SabreSonic is hosted at HP). Every airline on SabreSonic does not charge for first bags except for Virgin Australia. VA was the last major airline to implement SabreSonic and their system meets all of Greg Saretsky's conditions for first bag fee implementation:
- VA system handles first bag fee,
- VA system handles both Velocity FFP upper tier members and has exceptions for codeshare alliance partners (example NZ Airpoints elite tier members also get first bag fee).
- VA system can charge for bag fees at the electronic kiosk and online checkin.

My guestimate is that WS and other SabreSonic airlines will have to complete a hefty enhancement upgrade with some significant implementation costs. The reference to working with a timeline and cost analysis with Sabre is due to the upgrade. Knowing a lot about hosted solutions the master services contract will force the client to remain on well defined upgrade path. At some point WS will be required to upgrade their SabreSonic system. Its just a matter of when, not if WS will implement first bag fees.
WestJet's SabreSonic host partition can currently handle charge for 1st bag (it currently handles 2nd and subsequent bag charges), as Gregg said on the analysts call, the issue is that it is an all or nothing setting at the moment. It is important that the relevant business rules to handle exemptions are fully developed and implemented in an appropriate way within Sabre, this is the bit that Sabre is scoping at the moment. There is no wholesale upgrade needed to the WS Sabre host partition, just the rules around usage of the CET (Customer Entitlement Table) that is the heart of defining exemptions.

The other technology adjustments that need to be made if WestJet implements a 1st bag charge relate to update of the check-in software for mobile, web and kiosk and in-line selling of 1st bag in Datalex. These items are dependent on the Sabre CET rules, but are fairly straightforward changes.

None technology changes have also to be made around airport processes and WestJetter training.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by tkyoshi
UA Pulled free bags for *A Silver late last year.
Thank you for pointing that out. I'll be flying Southwest and AC more often. :-)
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by sokolov
Southwest does not. They have two selling points: No luggage fees and no change fees. For that, I an willing to put up with their boarding process.

Porter does not charge for luggage within Canada. I have not used them cross-border since they introduced luggage fees there.

And every Star Alliance customer with status, even Silver, gets a free bag on AC, UA (and, until End of March, US).

Generally, I look at the bottom line, the total cost of travel (TCT). The problem with luggage fees in Canada is twofold: First, they are fully taxed. I pay C$ 3.75 HST on a C$ 25 luggage fee. Second, it is a hassle to go through yet another process when checking in. What a waste of time.
Not so fast about Porter. I flew Porter YQM-YOW-YTZ rerouted to YYZ due to curfew at YTZ and I was charged. I was charged not because I had two bags but the weight limit overall was 23kg instead of 23kg per bag. As a result I had a huge fee I had to pay even though the agent did cut me a break.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Not so fast about Porter. I flew Porter YQM-YOW-YTZ rerouted to YYZ due to curfew at YTZ and I was charged. I was charged not because I had two bags but the weight limit overall was 23kg instead of 23kg per bag. As a result I had a huge fee I had to pay even though the agent did cut me a break.
Obviously, Porter's free luggage on national flights is not unlimited. I thought that goes without saying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.