Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

RBC Westjet MC will upgrade to World Elite CC in October

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Hi,

First time to post new thread in this forum,

This morning I received a mail from Westjet and their RBC MC(now it's World

MC) will upgrade to World Elite MC in this October.

I don't know what kind of benefits with World Elite MC in Canada, but as I

checked US site, there were quite a lot of good features were there.

I'm just wondering that even I'm holding Canada issued World Elite MC, but

I'm still eligible to take a benefit of World Elite from US or other

country?

I got this CC on this June for $99 companion ticket and $100 credit, but

didn't use until now, so I was about to cancel this CC, but if I can enjoy

the benefits of World Elite CC, I'm considering to keep this.^

hw807
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:42 pm

I have received a similar letter in the mail today. I'm not convinced and I don't want to pay $ 99 a year (I already pay $ 150 for a charge card that gives me nice perks and a refund of 1-2%).

The $ 99 companion ticket is of limited appeal to me, as I hardly ever buy simple round-trip tickets. I've called Westjet and was told that open-jaws are allowed with the companion tickets. But if the first ticket is bought with a discount code, the companion ticket is not applicable. (Furthermore it is not applicable on code shares and on non-published fares like beravement fares. but that is OK.)

With a yearly fee of $ 99. I'd have to spend some $ 20,000 a year on purchases where my charge card gives me back only 1% but WestJet would give me 1.5% - just to earn back the $99 MC fee.

BTW, the cash advance interest rates are 2%points higher than with the current World MC.

The letter I have received does not provide details on the "elite" benefits. It directs me to mastercard.ca where I can't find much on "elite" perks either. It promises "exceptional customer service" and "access to the best hotels, furnished airport lounges (damn all those unfurnished airport lounges!) and insurance that provides unshakable peace of mind." No details though.

It sounds just like another bank product "improvement".

Last edited by sokolov; Aug 31, 2012 at 8:33 pm
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:34 pm

It turns out that RBC is going to charge all customers a prorated fee-difference on or around Oct 2nd.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
They are doing this so that they can get more money from the merchants that accept this card as WEMC charges more than WMC.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:30 pm

Would anyone here know if the $99 Companion Ticket vouchers will be issued Oct 2 or only on the anniversary date?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Thumbs down No Thanks

Not going to bite..was happy with the Westjet World card for $79 but $99 is a deal breaker. I would consider it if it included everywhere Westjet flies not just Canada. I can get a yearly companion ticket on Alaska Airlines and fly anywhere in their system plus if I don't need the companion ticket can book family or friends on it. Haven't called about it yet so not sure if WS companion ticket is transferable. I fly mostly to the US and Mexico so will pass this up. I was also lucky enough to get the $350 sign up on the World card last year so have quite a few dollars in my WS dollars.

On reading the offer again, I see the companion ticket includes the US as well as Canada. I also will be away by the middle of October so the new card would not reach me before I leave and couldn't be activated for about 6 months. Also spending $6000/year to get $90 doesn't seem much of a deal. Think I will stick with Alaska and Air Miles.

Last edited by bajacondo; Sep 6, 2012 at 9:44 am Reason: Mistake
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:45 pm

Another RBC agent told me on the phone that there will be no prorated charge in October. Now I don't know who to believe.

He also said that the $99 Companion Ticket voucher will not be issued in October but at the renewal date of the card. But I'd probably get three different answers if I asked two agents. :-)
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, Bonvoy Plat
Anybody receive the $99 companion airfare voucher before their anniversary date? RBC changed my original Westjet World Mastercard to this World Elite card in October. But I do not see the voucher in my Westjet profile as of yet.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:04 pm

The companion voucher showed up after I was charged the new $99 annual fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.