Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet flight from YEG to LAX

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
If someone has not flown from YEG they should not answer the question. I will respect my own comment as I have not flown since the new section opened but note in the link below that you now leave your checked bags at check in!

http://www.flyeia.com/expansion2012.aspx

Also, Westjet leaves at 9 am. I would not suggest arriving 2.5 hours early as you WILL then get the tail end of the rush time. Arrive 90-120 minutes before departure and you will be fine.
Originally Posted by stutay
Once you check in at the Westjet desk and your bags are tagged, you take your luggage with you to security. Right before security, there is a luggage drop off point where you place your own luggage on the conveyor belt. You then walk up to security and go through that process before you get in line for customs. Once you have cleared customs, you'll walk down a long hallway to the US departures area.
Okay so:
Check-in
Carry my bags and drop them off before security
Security
Customs
Wait in the Departure Lounge

What you said, however, conflicts with what is said in the link given by Atlaflyer. The link says you drop the bags off at check-in. Hmm..

Regardless, it's not a big issue either way. I'll figure it out there. Thanks guys!
Old May 29, 2012, 7:46 am

It's a common misconception that airline employees generally leave passengers to their own devices when travelling. At WS, if you don't know something, don't be shy about asking! WS owners will be more than happy to give you a hand and show you the ropes!
Old May 29, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by FlyerDwyer

Okay so:
Check-in
Carry my bags and drop them off before security
Security
Customs
Wait in the Departure Lounge

What you said, however, conflicts with what is said in the link given by Atlaflyer. The link says you drop the bags off at check-in. Hmm..

Regardless, it's not a big issue either way. I'll figure it out there. Thanks guys!
It is a bit odd that the website says drop at check in. I've been through there a few times since the new terminal opened earlier this year and you do take your bags to a bag drop after check in. If you look at the terminal map on the YEG website you will see this separation of the check in counters and bag drop.

I think they say what they do on the website so people know they don't have to take their bags through US
Pre clearance anymore. By the way, if you are looking at the map, security is right as you enter the US Customs area. It isn't that clear on the map.

I also second the PP who said not to be 2.5 hours early. There are a lot of flights between 6 am and 8 am and the area is crowded. It starts to thin out after 7, so definitely no more than 2 hours ahead.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCguy
It's a common misconception that airline employees generally leave passengers to their own devices when travelling. At WS, if you don't know something, don't be shy about asking! WS owners will be more than happy to give you a hand and show you the ropes!
I will ask questions if I have any, but it seems simple enough now that I think I understand. First time going to the US... After this, I'll be much more comfortable next time.

Originally Posted by YEGTigger
It is a bit odd that the website says drop at check in. I've been through there a few times since the new terminal opened earlier this year and you do take your bags to a bag drop after check in. If you look at the terminal map on the YEG website you will see this separation of the check in counters and bag drop.

I think they say what they do on the website so people know they don't have to take their bags through US
Pre clearance anymore. By the way, if you are looking at the map, security is right as you enter the US Customs area. It isn't that clear on the map.

I also second the PP who said not to be 2.5 hours early. There are a lot of flights between 6 am and 8 am and the area is crowded. It starts to thin out after 7, so definitely no more than 2 hours ahead.
Alright. Thank you for your advice!

BTW, did you like the new US Departure Lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.