Potential Partners:
Mexicana
JAL
British Airways
China Eastern
Korean Air
Delta
Emirates

Hope to be able to book these flights on WestJet's website soon...

Last edited by TheGreatestX; Jun 3, 2010 at 6:39 pm
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
Hope to be able to book these flights on WestJet's website soon...
Soon? I doubt it:

In an interview Thursday, WestJet spokesman Robert Palmer said that with dozens of foreign airlines interested in linking up with WestJet, there are still several “courtship” stages to go through before announcing the successful foreign partners.

One day? Maybe...
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
get west jet to join AA so we can get AC to improve its FF program. Right now with West Jet dropping out of the FF programs AC has no competition. So far AC has used this to erode its SE program.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:28 am

I'm sure that creating competition to force AC to fix it's program is at or near the bottom of reasons why Westjet would join an alliance LOL.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:18 am

"Dropping out of FF programs" isn't quite true.

WestJet recently launched a loyalty program called "WestJet Frequent Guest". Its targeted towards true frequent flyers (4-12 trips/ year) and allows these guests to earn WestJet dollars that can be put towards any flight or vacation package.

You can read more under the 'business travel' section on westjet.com

DanJ is right. There'll be no alliance for this and many other reasons. Check out what Alaska Airlines has done (avoided any alliance and built their own network of partnerships) and you'll see exactly where WestJet is heading.

CEO Gregg Saretsky hinted at an employee townhall meeting recently that Philippine Airlines is one of the next in line for an interline agreement.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by VancouverGuy
WestJet recently launched a loyalty program called "WestJet Frequent Guest". Its targeted towards true frequent flyers (4-12 trips/ year) and allows these guests to earn WestJet dollars that can be put towards any flight or vacation package.
As people around here say YMMV, but a very large number people around FT would not consider 4-12 trips per year to be "true" frequent fliers. In fact, if all these trips were direct or non-stop this would result 8-24 segments which (depending on segment length) would not even qualify for the lowest "status" tier in most FFP programs.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 9:08 pm

Fair.

It was a poor attempt at trying to explain the program to those who feel ripped off for not being able to benefit from the WS Frequent Flyer program. Some criticism of the program is from folks who consider themselves frequent travelers but actually only fly one or two trips a year. I've spoken with a few of these people and had to carefully tell them that their support is valued but in comparison to some of our business guests their travel isn't exactly 'frequent'.

You've noted that the WestJet program will target flyers below the lowest 'status' of other FFP... and I think that was one of WestJet's aims in building the program. A gap in the market that can easily be addressed.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.ctv.ca/generic/generated/...le1602721.html

China Eastern Airlines Co. Ltd. and WestJet Airlines Ltd. are holding talks to form a partnership, hoping to tap into the promising market of Chinese leisure travellers visiting Canada.

Under the proposed “interline” deal, the two carriers will co-operate on ticketing and baggage handling, making it easier for China Eastern passengers on inbound trips into Vancouver to catch one of WestJet’s connecting, domestic flights.

“We would like to achieve interline co-operation because it will benefit both of us,” China Eastern sales manager Ben Lee said in an interview. “Canada is a relatively new place to explore for the Chinese leisure market and packaged tour groups. This goes beyond the professionals and business people from China.”

Mr. Lee said the first step focuses on transferring China Eastern customers onto WestJet’s network, but he envisages closer ties down the road, with the Shanghai-based company positioned for “code-sharing” – notably electronic ticketing, where one airline will be able to sell fares on flights operated by the other carrier.

WestJet spokesman Robert Palmer said he couldn’t comment on “potential relationships until we have a signed agreement.”

A co-operation pact with China Eastern will be one of five international deals that WestJet hopes to forge with foreign carriers over the next 18 months, as the Calgary-based airline signs up allies to help combat Air Canada and its global partners.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by VancouverGuy
Fair.

It was a poor attempt at trying to explain the program to those who feel ripped off for not being able to benefit from the WS Frequent Flyer program. Some criticism of the program is from folks who consider themselves frequent travelers but actually only fly one or two trips a year. I've spoken with a few of these people and had to carefully tell them that their support is valued but in comparison to some of our business guests their travel isn't exactly 'frequent'.
Westjet's frequent flier programme is pretty much a waste of time for "frequent" fliers, too. The benefits and returns are pathetic compared to almost every other programme out there. Westjet gets me from A to B in a reasonably efficient and friendly manner, so I'm not disappointed with them, but I wouldn't call what they offer a frequent flier programme. (And yes, I make more than one or two trips a year.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.