Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Portland Oregon Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Any Portland Oregon Advice?

Okay, so I searched Flyertalk and found a great thread about the "perfect 3 days in Portland". I found a great link for 10$ a day rental cars and I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on a hotel (under 100$) that is centrally located and fairly nice. Any advice on the city in general would be great too. We love outdoors, parks, interesting sites (indoors too if it's raining) etc. Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Try Priceline, but check Betterbidding.com to see what recent successful bids for your dates have been.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
What dates are you looking for and is it over a weekend or during mid week?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:24 am
Original Poster

April 26th and April 27th Saturday and Sunday...
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:25 am

The 'Nines' had an introductory rate of $99 but its now up to $119 a night even for weekdays in the near future.

It is a high end hotel but caught starting up in a bad economic time.

Do you have status with any particular chains?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:37 am

Looks like Priceline as the other poster indicated is the way to go if you do not have hotel status that you want to leverage. Looks like you could get Benson for about $55-$70 per night. The otherone that looks like it came up recenting is the Hotel Deluxe. Either is in a fairly good location.

You of course are not guaranteed a given hotel on priceline so you put a little risk into the location but there is good public transportation downtown so its hard to go very wrong.

Benson
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Boardroom, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by sarahswaheli
Okay, so I searched Flyertalk and found a great thread about the "perfect 3 days in Portland". I found a great link for 10$ a day rental cars and I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on a hotel (under 100$) that is centrally located and fairly nice. Any advice on the city in general would be great too. We love outdoors, parks, interesting sites (indoors too if it's raining) etc. Thanks!
If you are an HHonors member (or not) I love the Embassy Suites Downtown if you don't mind a little more per day. (Around 125) Free breakfast, free happy hour in the early evening and great rooms in a cool building. Close to public transportation and the like, with your rental coupon your daily rate for parking will take it up to a normal daily rental rate.

Are you close to the Northwest? I think that a trip through Columbia Gorge is well worth it. Especially if your only coming once (Live in PDX) go to Multnomah Falls off I-84, then hike it a bit, then keep driving out to Hood River, OR (About 50 minutes from Portland). Views of Mt. Hood, the Gorge and the River. When your there hit up Full Sail Brewery for a fun lunch and then check out some of the Gorge Winery's, most are free.

In Portland check out Forest Park, it's a great urban park with alot of hiking, you can spend all day in there. Also check http://www.oregonlive.com/ for any big festivals (Like the Brewers Festival) depending on when your coming.

There's the Willamete Valley for more wine too. Another all day experience.

Restaurants to check out (depending on your budget): Andina (Pearl District), Vino Paradiso (Pearl), Le Pigeon (Burnside South East), Equinox (Mississippi District), Tora Brava (MLK)....for breakfast, go out on Hawthorne (South East) and check out Bread and Ink Cafe.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Hate to say it, but with the timing and the 3*+ range there's some danger of running up against the prom crowd. Don't say you weren't warned.

I used to be a frequent 2* bidder, going after $30s. Years ago the Doubletree Lloyd Center was doable for that through PL, but not lately. Once got the Inn at the Convention Center in same neighborhood...good location and no parking costs, but a little tired.

Probably the best luck has been with the Extended Stay Americas in Gresham and Vancouver (the one in Hillsboro is just too far out). Very good value if you can do without maid service every day.

As for food, Jake's Famous Crawfish downtown is a must (the Oregon 3-berry cobbler for dessert a la mode is really great). The Sunday brunch seafood buffet at Salty's on the Columbia also was great (reservations really help, as does a big appetite). Hands down the best steak value is the Acropolis, but it's not that family-friendly.

Definitely go see the Gorge and Multnomah Falls. The drive around Mt. Hood can be pretty as well.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 6:47 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
The all time bestest thing I have ever done in Portland!

There is a fantastic visitors center in the middle of the Square.They offer several fantastic walking tours.
If you are there on a weekday this gives you a wonderful feel for the city.The guides are opinionated amaturs who love Portland.

I am in the "why bother with priceline"camp when it comes to hotels in PDX.
Too many point earning opp's there right now.

Have fun.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: Delta, American, United
Portland is a city for beer, coffee, and outdoors lovers. When people come to visit me in Portland, here's where I take them:
1. Powell's Books downtown - The West coast equivalent of Strand Bookstore in New York. You will get lost in a heaven of several stories of books, new next to used on the shelves.
2. While you're in that area, check out Cacao for some delicious drinking chocolate, the Fluevog store, and the Ace Hotel with Stumptown Coffee attached to it.
3. Mississippi street - visit the Rebuilding Center for some amazing cob/alternative building styles and peek at the old doors, windows, and myriad of other things taken from old houses to be reused. Walk up and down the street for some good shopping of local shops, restaurants, and food carts.
4. While on Mississippi, visit Amnesia, very German beer garden-esque, for some great local beer. And visit Pistil to see the bantam chickens running about, and the Fresh Pot for coffee and hipster viewing. Por Que Non for excellent Mexican food!
5. The Columbia Gorge - take a drive up I-84 to any number of amazing hikes and scenic spots. The Gorge is breathtaking in it's natural beauty.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:14 pm

If you truly want a unique hotel experience while in Portland, try any of the McMenamin's hotels. Most also have a restaurant/bar, movie theater, or soaking pool at the same location. For example, the Kennedy School has hotel rooms in a renovated middle school, and each room has a theme and is decorated in a "scholarly" way. And the McMenamin's establishments in general are very creatively adorned and are a sight to see!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:20 pm

If you are visiting during the weekend of August 12th, the Providence Bridge Pedal is a sight to behold (and participate in!). A fundraiser for Providence Health Center, the event shuts down most of Portland's 12 bridges, and some of the highways around the city so that around 19000 people can bike, walk, and run over them! Every year it makes my heart feel good to join in this amazing event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.