Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Layover at DEN - what to do? where to go/eat? how much time?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at DEN - what to do? where to go/eat? how much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,

Hey guys.

Did a search and didn't find anything.
I have a 6hr layover in DEN next Thursday. I am aware that the airport is not directly in downtown, but can anyone recommend a good place to grab lunch or something of that sort outside of the airport?

Last edited by DLATL777; Aug 20, 2008 at 11:45 am
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
I'm not sure... DIA is WAY outside of town and so I don't recall seeing anything other than chain/fast food on the drive into town. If you want to go into town, I could almost guarantee that just grabbing a cheapie rental car would be better than 2 cabs into town/back. If you do go to downtown, I'd say just head to 16th street and find a spot there. Tons of restaurants and just a nice area. If you've got time after lunch, drop into the Tattered Cover bookstore (16th/Wynkoop) for a great cup of coffee and a great bookstore! Really nice atmosphere and a great selection (they had an entire section of aviation related magazines, most of which I had never heard of and now subscribe to).

That's my feeble attempt at helping out Now calling the real pros.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
I love Denver but I don't think 4 hours is enough to get into the city and back to the airport. The new-ish DEN airport is far from downtown and is surrounded by miles of open but beautiful prarie land and only a few chain restaurants.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: DL SM NW Silver Elite, SC Member
4 hours is not enough to get downtown and back. Security there can take a while depending on the time you fly. I would explore the terminals or visit the CO or UA lounge if you have a membership. The Smoking lounge in the A terminal is a nice resturant (it has non-smoking seating). good luck
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
I agree with jjglaze77 that The Tattered Cover is great, but I'd probably miss my flight as I was in there for hours last time I was in DEN. Four hours may not be enough time to get anywhere interesting and back anyway. You can always hang out at the time capsule and spin conspiracy theories about the airport's construction:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvert...7594269016104/
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: DL (PM), CO (Plat), AA, US, Marriott (Plat)
Avoid Leaving the Airport

I would stay in the airport, if you mean Thursday, August 28. That's the last day of the Democratic National Convention in downtown Denver, so I would expect that it will be crazy all day.

If you still want to go somewhere, the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge is near the airport. I haven't been there (it recently re-opened), but I understand it's great.

Good luck.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: F9 Ascent, UA, AA, AS, ICH PA, Hertz PC.....
Avoid leaving the airport...heck, I wouldn't go groundside on a 4-hr layover unless they still had airside lockers (don't get me started on THAT one). Take a nap - wander the three concourses - go to one of the Qwest Business Centers and see if they still have free internet - anything but dealing with "security" screening...

Seriously - listen to belford's wisdom related to the convention. I'm not sure I'd bother leaving the airport with a 4-hr layover in the best of times. Consider: call it 1/2 hr to get off the plane and get groundside. 15 minutes wait for a shuttle/cab to anywhere off the airport. Maybe 20 min to downtown (as stated, essentially nothing near the airport). More time if you rented a car, as all car rentals are off-terminal. There's >1hr spent. Add the return trip time, account for delays in shuttle/taxi (another 1/2 hr or so) You will need to keep time for screening lines on your return - save 1/2 hr for a very good day. Then, getting to your gate before loading starts - another 1/2 hr. More than half your layover is already gone (leaving <1.5 hrs to explore), and that's if everything goes great.

RFTraveler ^
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Edit: What to do with a 6 hour layover?

**********UPDATE***

So, I looked back the itinerary and realized that I actually have a layover from 945am until 420pm. So, to rephrase my question, what to do in Denver with a 6 hour layover? haha

Thanks
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with those praising the Tattered Cover. The natural history museum also is interesting; it always seems to have an enticing traveling exhibit to see even if you have been there before.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
The airport is definitely a long way from downtown but that's where I suggest you go. Another poster recommended 16th street..it's a good idea and I also like the rental car idea.

There is also scheduled bus service but you'd have to transfer to get downtown. You can view the trip planner here: http://www.rtd-denver.com
Old Aug 20, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
That's my feeble attempt at helping out Now calling the real pros.
Not that I fit into that camp, but I agree with everything you said. However...

Originally Posted by belford97
That's the last day of the Democratic National Convention in downtown Denver, so I would expect that it will be crazy all day.
This is also probably sage advice. On any other day I definitely say 16th street mall. It might not be all that bad as the convention will be over at Invesco Field then, but it does seem like higher risk than usual.

In terms of security, DIA is pretty good these days. Can't remember the last time I saw a really hideous line, and they parallel process the ID checking with multiple stands, so even the long lines can move fast. Obviously I'm sure you could get unlucky, but under ordinary circumstances (read: not convention) I would have no hesitation about leaving for 6hrs (and maybe even for 4).

Of course, some other intrepid souls are braving the convention chaos as well...
Dinner with Captain Flanagan in Denver on August 28!
Old Aug 20, 2008, 1:52 pm

Don't leave the airport. Too far to away to go anywhere within your window without being stressed out and constant watching checking.

The upper mezzanines of any concourse are quiet and good places to relax and read.

Or you can exit security via the train to the main terminal and wander around. You can see Pikes Peak from the south end of the main terminal building on a clear day. They have various art exhibits on the hallway to concourse A (on the north side of the terminal.) Some are interesting - last year they had old skiing gear from the 50s and 60s.

If you HAD to leave I'd suggest a cab to Lulu's Bar and Grill in Watkins. Have a burger, play some pool, chill with some bikers, and go back to DIA.

By the way where is your second flight to? I'd suggest just getting an earlier flight if one avail.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
DIA is in the middle of nowhere, your best bet is to cough up $50 & buy a day pass at the UA RCC.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard
your best bet is to cough up $50 & buy a day pass at the UA RCC.
Cough up = waste.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I fly to & through DEN frequently. I agree with the others here. Because the airport is remote to start with and takes a long time to get between curb & gate, 6 hours is about the shortest layover I'd want before going downtown, and that's without a major convention taking over the city. With 6 hours you could go somewhere nearer to the airport grounds, but where? And to do what? Probably you'd end up cooling your heels at a restaurant. For that, I'd just stick at the airport and avoid the hassles of leaving & returning. DEN is far from the worst airport to have to kill a few hours at. Look around; there are a few halfway decent restaurants there. Visit all 3 concourses and see what they have. Browse some of the gift shops. Sit at one of the bars and knock back a few drinks. Bring your laptop and pay for Internet if necessary. Consider buying a day pass to one of the clubs if you don't already have a membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.