LAX to Vegas

Old Apr 8, 08, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: skywards, BMI, Qantas, Hilton honours
LAX to Vegas

how much would a flight between these two cities cost in middle of May? roughly about the 15th cheap as possible please.

is it worth going overland on this route or am i better flying?

just wondering

Thanks
Old Apr 8, 08, 4:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Southwest Airlines has about 14 daily non-stops between LAX and LAS. Fares around $50 + taxes one way. Much better than driving.
www.southwest.com

Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Apr 8, 08, 5:25 am

Programs: SLH Club, Miles & More Gold (SEN), goldpoints plus
Depending on the time you are planning to head to Las Vegas, a drive is seriously worth considering. I just did the tour a week ago from Burbank Airpoirt to Las Vegas and Back to LAX. It is a nice drive and a worthwhile experience, although you should consider traffic in the LA area, but if you are driving very early in the morning you should be able to reach Las Vegas in 3 hours and 40 minutes..
Old Apr 8, 08, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks am just checking the southwest website, is it ok for me to book even though I am not a US citizen? I am from the UK and spending a week in the US and thought I could get both of these destinations in my trip
Old Apr 8, 08, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Check out www.kayak.com
They list all fares on this route, and other SoCal airports.

Welcome to Flyertalk 1trainer1.

dh
Old Apr 8, 08, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks

I have checked the Kayak and that is very cheap, i Have been reading the boards for a while now and they are very handy but I dont fly as much as most people only two or three flights a year
Old Apr 8, 08, 6:48 am

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
You can book Southwest no problem. As long as they take the credit card you're good to go.They are as good as anyone for such a short flight.

The one thing you need to remember is to check in 24 hours in advance if you want to get an "A" boarding pass. Southwest does not asiign seats but gives out boarding passes in an A, B, C configuration. A B boarding pass will still get you an aisle or window seat. It's the C boarding pass that you can wind up with a middle seat. But it's a short flight.
Old Apr 8, 08, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by 1trainer1 View Post
Thanks am just checking the southwest website, is it ok for me to book even though I am not a US citizen? I am from the UK and spending a week in the US and thought I could get both of these destinations in my trip
You are OK to to use a credit card with a UK address.

As others have said, the flights are cheap usually. The drive is really worth doing once, as I have, but it will likely cost you more than the flight. If you do a one way car hire, bear in mind there will probably be a substatial drop-off fee from one state to another. And don't forget the fuel is really expensive there at around $3.50/gall!
Old Apr 8, 08, 9:06 am
Suspended

I just did a one way rental from LA, budget has cars for $79.99 a day. It was worth it though as the drive is quite interesting. Be cautious as to when you leave, never on a Friday after 2 p.m. - Vegas will easily take you 7 hrs then.

We left early on Saturday morning, smooth sailing all the way.
Old Apr 8, 08, 9:17 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
1trainer1 welcome to Flyer Talk. Please follow the discussion in our Travel->West forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 8, 08, 9:47 am

Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
other things to consider:

driving time of 3h40m is not usual! (chsommerhh, sure you weren't flying? ) True, leaving in the early morning is a must. 4 hr-4.5 hours is more likely, particularly if you make a pit stop (in Barstow).

Weather in mid-May won't be overly hot as you drive through the desert, which is a good thing!

Flying time is just about 1 hr. So once you take into account arriving early at the airport, waiting for luggage and getting a rental car (or taxi to the hotel), it is just about even for time.

I prefer to drive as I like going through the desert. Plus I like to have a car while in Vegas as taxi's are expensive and take forever because they take the most congested routes.
Old Apr 9, 08, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta DM/3MM / Hilton Diamond
Time permitting I would also recommend you to drive this - especially if you have not spent a lot of time in the US. I would recommend leaving LA an hour or two before sunrise - that way you could experience a beautiful sunrise in the desert - and even if you take your time you'll be at the pool in Vegas before noon!