Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone visited the Trinity Site?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hauteboy
They had a display showing the radiation exposure for an hour visit is much less than an X-ray or even a cross-country flight. But still wouldn't hang around too long There's also an abandoned house a few miles away that you can visit. The entrance is near the town of Soccoro, New Mexico, off of US380.
They run all-day tours out to the test site here. IIRC less radiation than an x-ray for the whole trip. Book in advance--there's a bit of a background check and thus they won't take walk-ups.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I think that they wanted to try two different types of detonators. Also, I seem to recall that the Hiroshima bomb was uranium and the Nagasaki bomb was plutonium. And I think that there was difficulty in making enough enriched material for either. That might have had something to do with it.
I think it was more a matter of what they could make.

Testing the detonator doesn't need a bomb. You can build it and see what happens to pieces of metal without using fissionables.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BNA_flyer
I've also wanted to take a tour of the Nevada Test Site, although I don't know if those are still even offered.
Still offered. As I write this the government site is busted, here's a page talking about it:

http://www.atomictourist.com/nts.htm
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by altaskier
Therefore it was felt that there was no need to test a uranium gun-type bomb, but there was a desire to test a plutonium gun-type bomb rather than have it go fizzle in a bombing meant to have frightful impact on an enemy...
They were certain the U235 gun type would work and did not feel it was necessary to test it. The plutonium (the round bomb) was the implosion type. They were not sure it would work (if the explosives do not explode perfectly it does not go off) so they tested one. It was not a "plutonium gun-type bomb".

IIRC the test and the two war bombs used up all the refined material on hand. Of course Japan did not know it, but it was several weeks or months later before more cores were ready. For a short time after Nagasaki, the world was a nuclear bomb free zone.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
IIRC the test and the two war bombs used up all the refined material on hand. Of course Japan did not know it, but it was several weeks or months later before more cores were ready.
No. The third bomb was ready. Truman would not approve it's use. Then the Japanese surrendered.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by altaskier
At the time it was much harder to do isotopic separation (U235) than chemical separation (Pu238 made in reactors). At the same time, plutionium requires implosion detonation which is rather tricky while uranium can work in a simple gun-type bomb. Therefore it was felt that there was no need to test a uranium gun-type bomb, but there was a desire to test a plutonium gun-type bomb rather than have it go fizzle in a bombing meant to have frightful impact on an enemy...
Incidentally, there is no such thing as a plutonium gun-type bomb. It won't work--you'll get a fizzle every time. Gun assembly is simply to slow.

(Note that the reverse does not apply--you can make a U-235 implosion bomb.)
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:42 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
I'm sure the TSA is eagerly taking notes here trying to figure out why all these FTers are swapping ideas on how to build an atomic bomb.
Nice knowin' ya folks!
Old Oct 9, 2007, 8:11 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
I visited the Trinity Site this past weekend, and thought I would share some observations.

First, definitely arrive early. I arrived at the Stallion Gate at 8:00 a.m. just as the gates were opening. (For those driving from Albuquerque, the drive was just under 2-hours from my home on the east side of Albuquerque, including a rest-stop and a stop to pick up a breakfast burrito.) There was no ID check at the gate, but they did record each license plate. The drive from the gate to Trinity is about 20-minutes.

The walk from the parking lot to ground zero is 1/4-mile one way. The folks above have mentioned what is there, so no need to really go into it here.

The busses to the McDonald house ran every five to ten minutes. There is a time-capsule near the house that is scheduled to be opened in 2009 (didn't say April or October) where some archives will be revealed.

Upon returning to Trinity from the McDonald house, the crowd had trebbled (at least) in size... this is just over an hour after our arrival on site. Parking lot was going into overflow and the path to ground zero was pretty thick.

The drive back through the gate an into San Antonio was uneventful. The Owl Bar is a definite stop, and getting there early really helps. The green chile cheese burgers are awesome (including a hand-pattied burger) and are on any future trips that we take south on I-25. Be sure to pop into the gas station next door for some fudge; it was a nice treat after the burger.

Finally, the veggie stand across the street has fresh fruits and veggies. If you are staying in the area for a while and want a snack, I'd definitely recommend stopping by.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Have not, but definately on my "to-do" list.
Me too.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
A week ago was the third Saturday in October and one of the two days out of the year that the Trinity Site is open. I think this is the first time it’s been open since the movie Oppenheimer came out. I was reminded by an article saying crowds at the site were bigger than normal this October.
uanj, silverthief2 and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.