Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta -where to stay? When to go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta -where to stay? When to go?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
morning....
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Thank you.

I was shooting for either Thu or Fri, but it will probably be Fri or Sat. Do families haul their kids out at 4 am? Is the Chasers Club worth doing?

Is it worth taking the train down to see the Harvey House in Belen?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I'm back to report about my Balloon Fiesta experience.

After booking a cheap downtown motel as back-up, I regularly checked IHG award availability. Two weeks out, Holiday Inn North I-25 was available, then a few days later, Staybridge Suites North (>2 miles from the field) popped up, so I switched.

I knew from reading Staybridge's past October Tripadvisor reviews the hotel provides (free) 5-10 minute shuttle van rides to the Hoffmantown Church parking lot Park&Ride location. And after speaking to the front desk guy at check-in. I changed my mind about possibly walking to the field at 4:30 am and booked the $15 adult Park&Ride ticket online. Those tickets are $10 admission + $5 Park&Ride shuttle bus fee and must be booked by 12 midnight (morning session) or 12 noon (afternoon session), otherwise that $15 adult ticket is $22.

The hotel required sign up for the van ride to the Park&Ride by 10 pm the night before, and I chose 4:30 am. They also required return trip sign-up, but I wanted to go to the museum afterward, didn't want to be hemmed in, and took an Uber back for <$10 after the road closures were lifted.

The Park&Ride shuttle system is the city's school buses divided into 5 locations. There were maybe 40 buses lined up ready to ferry people to the field. At 4:45 am, it was a smooth transfer - got off the hotel van, had my ticket QR code scanned, boarded the school bus, and we were on our way 5 minutes later.

Some roads southeast of the field are closed to regular car traffic, so the school buses breeze along. Those who choose to drive, are funneled to the northeast and depending when you go, I heard the traffic can be bad.

They have one designated Uber/Lyft drop-off/pick-up point just northeast of the balloon museum. I can't say for sure, but I think Uber/Lyft cars are also funneled through the northeast roads, so you may have a hefty ride if the traffic is crawling.

Thursday Oct 12 was kids day. Early morning, I didn't notice hoards of small people. It wasn't bad at all.

I went to Reno's balloon festival a few years ago. One thing I loved about Albuquerque's field vs Reno, Albuquerque's is nice normal grass. Reno's is that awful thick, unstable, ankle-turning crab grass.

One note regarding the Rail Runner train, they run a special schedule during Balloon week. I found that out the hard way when my Uber dropped me off at the downtown station to catch the Saturday 6:30ish pm train to Santa Fe and I had to wait it out for 2.5 hours at the pizza place across the street.

Here is the link to the Park&Ride ticket info: http://www.balloonfiesta.com/guest-guide/park-ride
kellio33 likes this.

Last edited by boxo; Oct 31, 2017 at 2:02 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Your summary of "how to do" Balloon Fiesta is very helpful. Thanks for posting.
boxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.