Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Pizzaria Bianco – Phoenix – DON’T MISS!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2004, 7:19 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

I had just arrived into Phoenix at 3:45pm on a Saturday, a buddy called my cell, stated he was leaving Phoenix later that evening and asked if I would like to dine on the best pizza he has ever had.

I did question him, the “best” pizza, in Phoenix or ever?

“Ever” was his immediate response.

OK, I’ll bite (no pun intended).

We show up just after 4:30, there is a security guard that asks us if we are here for Pizzaria Bianco as we enter the small parking lot adjacent to the Pizzaria. This place opens at 5 and yet there is a security guard for the parking lot, must be a popular place.

As we approach the front of the restaurant, there are some chairs already filled with patrons for this 24 seat (approx guess) restaurant. We spy a menu posted on the door and proceed to walk up to the door to read it. At that point all the others who were sitting, now get up and que up behind us. Jesus, 20 minutes before it opens and we started the “not before me” reflex. :wacko:

Promptly at 5 the door is opened and the whole line that had formed is seated in less than 5 minutes. So at 5:10pm, place is packed and they are informing those oh so tardy people that there is an hour wait at this point.

We take a seat at the bar and order a local brew they have on tap. They have a seemingly very small but good wine selection as the group of men that sat next to us could not stop discussing.

Onto the pizza. I order the Sonny Boy and buddy orders the Wiseguy.

Sonny Boy consists of Tomato Sauce, Fresh Mozzarella, Salami, Calamatta Olives.
Wiseguy consists of Wood Roasted Onions, House Smoked Mozzarella, Fennel Sausage.

I believe we are the first to order and our individual 12” pizzas took 20 minutes.

Picture a very thin, crispy, approaching saltine cracker bottom just a slight chew above it, with some of the most premier pizza ingrediants you have ever dined on. The pizzas were both incredible, easy to see why my buddy claimed that this place was his best ever pizza. I’m not willing to go that far, but they were easily in my top three, easily………..ok maybe even in my top two. :wub:

Service is professional and quick.

Do Not Miss Pizzaria Bianco!!! Due to the volume of pizzas they do, Pizzaria Bianco does not allow take out orders on Saturdays, but do during the weekdays. However this is the type of pizza that does not travel well at all, the quality will suffer if you try to transport it.

Pizzaria Bianco
Historic Heritage Square
623 East Adams Street (enter off of 7th)
Phoenix, AZ
Old Feb 17, 2005, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

When Ed Levine the author of "Pizza: A Slice of Heaven" was asked where in the world is the best pizzeria?

His response:
Ristorante Europeno in Naples is close to the best in the world. But, I have to say that the best pizzeria in the world is Chris Bianco's Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix Arizona. Chris is an artist with a devotion to the craft. He makes his own sausage and mozzarella.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:14 pm

Locals don't disagree. Plan to wait in line when you go, make an evening of it, take your time. Those in the know take turns in line, and head next door to bring back refreshments from their wine bar. Tie it in with an evening at the Symphony, if possible. And yes, the pizza is that good.

They also have a simple sandwich shop--which I've not yet tried--up on North Central Ave.--Panaria (?) Bianco.

JP
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:37 pm

Casey Moore's Oyster House @ Ninth and Ash Ave, Tempe Arizona

Another hidden gem is Casey Moore's Oyster House @ Ninth and Ash Av, Tempe Arizona. The historic restaurant and bar is in a house built in 1910 at the edge of residential neighborhood just two blocks west of downtown Tempe and Arizona State University and minutes from Sky Harbor Airport. They have great seafood, steaks, Angus hamburgers and a really neat cross cultural crowd from students, local news reporters, professional people, and theater goers on their way to nearby Gamage auditorium and the place is elegant yet casual. Oh and Chris Bianco and his great wait staff visit sometimes after they close up the pizza shop to have drinks on the large outdoor patio so if you go to Biancos you can ask them. The place is hard to find but worth it!

Casey Moore’s Oyster House @ Ninth and Ash
850 S Ash Av (From Mill & Univ go 2 blk west on Univ and 1 blk south on ash)
Tempe, Arizona 85281
480-968-9935

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed...w=1&name=&qty=

Last edited by Centurion; Feb 23, 2005 at 9:42 pm
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion
Another hidden gem is Casey Moore's Oyster House
can I make an assumption with a name like that, that Casey Moore's has a raw bar?
Old May 23, 2005, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Bianco has done it again IMO with his second place. I was in Phoenix a couple months ago, ate lunch at Pane Bianco @ 4404 N. Central Ave, Phoenix. Pane Bianco will bake one kind of rustic artisan bread and focaccia and serve three kinds of sandwiches daily. The day I went one of the sandwiches was on a ciabatta w/wood oven carmelized onions with Italian meats that Bianco makes himself (think Seattle's Salumi eatery).

WONDERFUL!!! ^ ^ ^
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:47 am

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
You inspired me

Playing a day trip to PHX in July, now I know where I'm going to eat my dinner!
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:51 am
Original Poster

USA Today article on Oct 13 2006, listed Pizzeria Bianco as one of the 10 best in the US, to see the other places mentioned view this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613035

--
Old Oct 15, 2006, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, SPG Platinum, DL MM
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
USA Today article on Oct 13 2006, listed Pizzeria Bianco as one of the 10 best in the US, to see the other places mentioned view this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613035

--
Both of Chris Bianco's places (Pizzeria Bianco and Pane Bianco) are not to be missed when in PHX.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:54 am

yeah, it's really good pizza, but I can't see myself waiting in line for 3 hours again to get it. there are things to do in the area, but only go here if you plan to make it your whole activity for the evening since you need to check back every once in a while or you may miss your table.

The place is always packed - it was still an hour wait for a group that arrived at 9pm on the night we went. We arrived about 15 minutes before opening and like I mentioned waited 3 hours for our turn, so make sure to get here early.

we probably would not have done it, but really wanted to see what the buzz was all about. there are some other local chains like Oregno's, Nellos, and Pizza Picaso (something like that) that are also decent. I wouldn't put them anywhere close to Bianco, but for a good pizza without the outrageous wait, that's where I'd go.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 8:37 am

It is great pizza. If you have 6 or more in your party, you can make reservations and avoid the waiting!
Old May 11, 2007, 9:34 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles
Road trip...

Looks like the wife and I have to give this place a whirl.
Old May 11, 2007, 9:37 pm

That's not too far of a road trip from Gilbert to Phoenix.
Old May 11, 2007, 9:50 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
That's not too far of a road trip from Gilbert to Phoenix.
Depends on the route you take.
Old May 25, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PrinzII
Depends on the route you take.
And the time of day/day of week... Traffic in Phoenix can be horrible.

I've heard nothing but great things about Bianco, but have never been able to stomach the long wait time. Guess I'll have to do the 4:30pm thing sometime as I'd love to try it.

Nello's is very good, IMO, but difficult to find parking sometimes. Haven't tried Oregano's (is that the one off University near ASU?), but hear it's good as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.