Consolidated "Layover in PHX - What to do, questions, suggestions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover in PHX - What to do, questions, suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Agree re the city, but I find driving at the airport (thus "PHX" ) with all its twists and turns and trying to figure out where to find someone at the massive US complex to be confusing and sometimes intimidating.
I used to drive a limo there, so for me, it's not bad. Can see for the first timer that it might possibly be confusing. Signage is pretty good.

I always recommend people go upstairs to arrivals to be picked up. Much less traffic and easier to find people.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
OK, new twist. Turns out she is really on United! Sigh....

And I appreciate everyone's ideas for "off airport" entertainment, but that is not going to happen!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:02 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The landside options for a pleasant place to wait just got grimmer.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
OK, new twist. Turns out she is really on United! Sigh....

And I appreciate everyone's ideas for "off airport" entertainment, but that is not going to happen!
It really isn't difficult to take the bus to the light rail, there's signs above all of the baggage claim belts, "take the silver bus to the rail."

Originally Posted by cblaisd
The landside options for a pleasant place to wait just got grimmer.
Exactly, other than some chairs, I know of nothing in T2 worthy of more than a couple of minutes to wait that's inside and not in the secure area. Not only that, but after the place clears out, and security sees her there for 20+ min, she may get asked to leave.

I really don't see any options given here as difficult (other than perhaps trying to re-clear security, which would require a gate pass, and not sure how checked bags would be handled).

If nothing else, and money is no object, just rent a limo for her to give her a grand tour of the area until you arrive. The limo driver can wait with a sign that has her name, drive her wherever, then pick you up when you arrive.
Or the limo can just drop her off at your hotel, she can check-in and be settled by the time you get there.

Last edited by aztimm; Aug 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:11 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Or even just a cab to the hotel?

I don't know whether this would work at PHX, but IF security would let her back in with a Red Carpet Club pass, that's a pleasant place to pass the time.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
PHX, 2 hr. 40 min. layover, Desert Botanical Garden?

Hi all! I have a 2 hr. 40 min. stop in PHX on an upcoming mileage run. I'd really like to see the Desert Botanical Garden nearby. Do you think it's possible to grab a cab, walk around, cab back, and get to my flight on time?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
While it might be possible if you can make arrangements for a cab to wait for you at the Gardens, I'd probably stay in the air conditioning.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
What airline? UA and CO are in T2, which is much smaller, and could be easier (although it is further). And I assume you have status, so you can use the elite line?

This thread over in the US forum may be helpful, although it is geared at US/T4:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...x-airport.html

Bottom line...I wouldn't do it.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:58 am

Concur with that bottom line.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I wouldn't do it either. Besides, could you really enjoy the gardens (which are indeed quite beautiful) if you were spending the whole time checking your watch and worrying the line at security would be too long when you got back?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
OK, thanks for the advice all!

Since I've never really been in AZ outside of the airport, I guess I'll try to construct a better MR that gives me more time in PHX.

I appreciate the help!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
UPDATE:
Just a quick note -
She was 1/2 hour late or so landing at T2, got her luggage, took the bus over to T4, had lunch, hit a couple shops, called home, and she was fine.

Which reminded me - we spend so much time in airports they are no longer of much interest to us. But when you are a Ma Kettle, there is enough to see and do in a large airport to pleasantly pass a few hours.

Having said that, she made it clear that T4 was far preferable to T2!

thanks to everyone for your assistance.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
Having said that, she made it clear that T4 was far preferable to T2!
That goes without saying. T4 landside has more eating options. Overall it has a better atmosphere for just hanging out.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: United/American/USAirways
Time to kill in PHX

I had a nice MR to PHX the other day that exploded in my face - my flight to EWR was going to misconnect; my reroute on US through CLT was going to misconnect; and then my supposed CLT-PHX connection went down for maintenance. End result was 3.5 hours at BWI and no flights.

The UA CSS was nice enough to rebook me for next week. But, to ensure that this one goes through, I have a seven hour down period in PHX before my return on the red eye.

So, from about 2:30 until about 9:00 pm I have free time. I can kill some time at the United Club (I imagine I will do that from 7:30 pm onwards). But that still leaves 5 hours free. Whats a guy to do in PHX for 5 hours (without a car)?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Tan??????

What interests you? What day/date is this?

Next week You could possibly do a ball game...Arizona. Has a weeklong home stand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.