Old May 8, 2003, 8:56 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Museum of Glass, Tacoma, Washington

Anyone been, thoughts?

http://www.museumofglass.org
Old May 9, 2003, 1:28 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
The Tacoma Art Museum had a great glass exhibition. Despite not yet visiting this location, it is on our short list. After all, how often can one see items from the Pilchuk School and Chihuly?
Old May 9, 2003, 5:39 pm

Programs: None, but flying a lot more Delta these days
This is on my short list of things to do, Tacoma also just opened a brand new Art Museum which looks pretty good.

Even when I lived in the Seattle area previously, I've never actually been in Tacoma. Maybe its time to change that!

Old May 11, 2003, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
[B]Anyone been, thoughts?[B]</font>

I went back in November after reading this article:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/visual...rfield23.shtml

Old May 12, 2003, 9:12 pm

Location: Danville, CA - "When I read about the evils of DRINKING, I gave up READING.
Will visit it this Friday... up there for a business trip and will have some time to kill. Will also have dinner at the new El Gaucho restaurant, a fantastic steak house that started in Seattle, opened in Portland (at the Benson Hotel) and now in Tacoma in a remodeled warehouse with bricks, bricks, bricks and a beautiful interior.
Old May 16, 2003, 10:52 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
A friend of mine - actually a fellow FT who I don't think looks at this board - visited when it first opened. He was pretty disappointed with the museum itself. Apparently, there wasn't much glass. Only the bridge, which you don't have to pay for, was impressive and had wonderful Chihuly and other glass pieces, he said. His advice was to save the money and just check out that walkway. The Corning Glass Museum, OTOH, is quite good.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 05-16-2003).]
Old May 19, 2003, 12:16 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
The Corning Glass Museum, OTOH, is quite good.</font>
Is the Corning Museum in the SEA-TAC area?
Old May 19, 2003, 12:37 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Is the Corning Museum in the SEA-TAC area? </font>
Fraid not. It's in Corning, NY. If you like glass though, it's well worth the trip.
Old May 24, 2003, 8:08 pm

Programs: None, but flying a lot more Delta these days
Spent a lazy Saturday at both the Museum of Glass & the Tacoma Art Museum. The poster above is right that there's not much to the exhibit at Museum of Glass, there's only one gallery and most of it was roped off for a show opening on June 11th. What was there was very impressive though. A huge part of the museum is an auditorium where you can watch invited artists work. That was very good. I'd say its probably worth a visit if you are in the area but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it. Definitely wait until after June 11th though.

The Tacoma Art Museum was recently redone and has a huge Chihuly piece that is one of the most impressive things I've seen. It's pretty much a garden made of glass, a picture of it is here othewise the museum was pretty mediocre.

Old May 25, 2003, 11:29 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Maybe this should be a flyertalk weekend getaway ~~ spend a day in Tacoma. Its new, hip and happening.

We could go to the museum, see the Thea Foss waterway, ride the escalator, go to the java jive and enjoy its funkiness.

Oh, and if you wanna see some cool glass, make sure you go to milton, wv and see the blenko factory. I think they have cleaned it up a lot since our last visit in '95, but I used to love to watch the guys blow glass and then see all the cool things they used to make. They have a great seconds store too.

lala

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.