Search

The Oasis at Pointe South Mountain Resort, Phoenix AZ

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2002, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
The Oasis at Pointe South Mountain Resort, Phoenix AZ

Hi!

I am looking into my options for next year's summer-holiday (late August to mid-September), and while I liked my stay this year at the Tapatio Cliffs very much, I came across something that looks even more interesting: The Oasis at the Pointe South Mountain Resort.

As theResort does not have any rates available right now, does anybody have an opinion on it, and perhaps can even compare it to the (combined) pool-facilities at the Tapatio Cliffs and Squaw Peak Hilton's??? Is it worth to forgo HHonors-points and the free breakfast for Gold-members for the Oasis? Can I get into that without being a guest at the hotel?

I love to have a great pool area where I can find both activities like water-slides and as well a more secluded area to hang out when I'm in the mood for a nap...

Thanks for any insight!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:04 pm

Hi Dirk,

Glad you had a good visit here this summer. If you don't get the answers you seek, let me know, and I'll call the hotel and ask them.

JP
Old Oct 23, 2002, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Checked out of there yesterday (89 degrees) and now in Denver (29 degrees - sigh).

Excellent location just south of town. Elegant, well groomed, attentive staff. A little on the pricey side. Anything you could want is provided, but you can get the same services almost anywhere in the area.

Frankly, I would not forgo the points.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
This was a Hilton property up until about three years ago, so you might find something in the Hilton archives. There has since been a major renovation.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
I was at Pointe South this last weekend. It's a big property -- 640 rooms -- and the layout is confusing. Rooms open to the outdoors, not into interior hallways. Each of four courtyards has a pool and hot tub so the load on any one pool isn't too great. In addition to these pools Pointe South has a waterpark, the Oasis, that opened earlier this year. It has three waterslides (two quite high), a lazy river, a wave pool, a pool, and a hot tub or two. I wanted to try the waterslide but a storm brought lightning and hail as I was about to try it, and the attendants closed the water. (Something about not wanting the guests to be electrocuted.) The covered bar inside the Oasis stayed open, however.

Pointe South nicks you for an additional $12 or $15/day on top of the room rate if you want to use the Oasis, or you can pay for each entry. The resort also has a golf course, health club/spa/massage place (nice facility), and three or four detached restaurants. I didn't see any real food service in the hotel itself, but the restaurants and sports bar are a short walk from the hotel, and most of the time it doesn't hail.

We had a group rate ($197/night including the Oasis). I would rate the facility as good, but not at the standard of (say) the Phoenician. One nice thing is that it's fairly close to the airport.

------------------
"Yes, but at least mine will be found in a first class seat." -- Peattie and Taylor
Old Oct 31, 2002, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Thank you all for the feedback. It seems that I will not stay there as they charge you anyway if you want to visit the Oasis pool.

I'll probably just give them a call to see what they charge for admission of non-hotel-guests and do a one-day visit there...

Greetings - Dirk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.