Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Olympic National Park

Olympic National Park

Old Jul 24, 2002, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Olympic National Park

Planning on adding this my upcoming Northwest vaxcation. Is it worth it vs. extra time on Vancouver Island?
Old Jul 24, 2002, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
You can take a ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles and make it a day trip. I think the Olympics (meaning the Park and Mountains) are wonderful.

BTW, a favorite restaurant/ inn on Vancouver Island is the Sooke Harbor House in Sooke -- they used to offer an edible flower tasting menu.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 10:23 am

Oh, yes yes yes, Olympic National Park is a fantastic place. From Port Angeles (WA), it's a quick drive to the park headquarters, where there are some amazing views and hikes. My favorite place in the park is Lake Quinault (kwin-AULT, not kee-noh), which is a gorgeous lake surrounded by rainforest. Lots and lots of wonderful places to hike and explore--the Lake Quinault Lodge is an especially pleasant (if not terribly modern) place to stay. My only disappoint was in the hot springs between Lake Quinault and Port Angeles: if you go, be prepared for warm waters (which were fine) and an overpowering aroma of rotten eggs (which was less than fine).

Vancouver Island is a pleasant enough place, mind you, but there's plenty of chaff among its wheat. (Duncan, for example, has an interesting aboriginal place to visit, but the town itself is butt ugly.) Oly Nat'l Park, on the other hand, is 100% certified good stuff (though it admittedly lacks Nanaimo bars), and is certainly worth a visit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.