Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "What to do in Reno?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Reno area suggestions

I have been to Reno/Tahoe before to see family. They graduate in 2015. Was thinking of making a trip out of it. Suggestions on national or state parks either for day trips out of Reno or to get closer to and overnight? I did Yosemite last trip into RNO. Not really a camper, nor the ability to bring that stuff. But do like the outdoors. Was thinking mostly headed to Northern CA unless I find stuff in northern NV and that area.

Last edited by FLgrr; Sep 15, 2014 at 6:22 pm
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Have you spent any time at Lake Tahoe? You could easily fill a week with activities in and around it.

What timeframe are you looking at-- mid/late May after college graduation?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:21 pm

Thanks Darthbimmer - did a lot of that the past trips.

Yes, looking for May. Cold for me coming from FL I am sure.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It's tough to plan out a May trip to the Sierra Nevada this many months in advance. Depending on the snowfall throughout the winter season, as well as the temperatures and precipitation in April, May is either the last solid part of winter or the first solid part of summer. If you're really lucky it's both at the same time! (There's usually 1-2 glorious weekends each year when you can both go snow skiing above Tahoe and water skiing on the lake. But whether that weekend comes in April, May, or June varies from year to year.)
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:00 pm

Lassen Volcanic National Park is 154 miles from Reno in the Sierras. There is skiing there in the winter, so there very likely will still be some snow there in May. (There was still patches of snow there one year on 4 July.)
http://www.nps.gov/lavo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Also in the area is Lake Almanor and Indian Valley.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/pluma...a/?recid=25810
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Almanor
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
May is a difficult time to know because of snowpack. In mid May yosemite falls could be great to see.

Other places to look at is death valley and the 395 corridor along the eastern Sierras. You could drive to SEKI or points farther.

there are just many many options.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:57 am

Thank you both djp98374 and amanuensis. Lassen Volcanic park looks interesting, and then maybe, May weather permitted, Mt Shasta. Other options to explore now.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Killing 2-3 hours in Reno with 3 kids?

Our 12pm flight SEA-RNO tomorrow on Alaska was cancelled and we were rebooked on the 7:25am flight. We can't get into our Tahoe (Glenbrook) rental until 3pm at the earliest (already checked. Big group in the house until 10am). Any suggestions for things to do to kill 2-3 hours with a 9, 5, and 1yo and a couple of exhausted parents before we have lunch, go grocery shopping and head up to Glenbrook? TIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.