Reload this Page >

Gallup and/or Albuquerque NM -- things to do/see, restaurants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gallup and/or Albuquerque NM -- things to do/see, restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2024, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I like Farina’s on central in ABQ, my favorite Margarita Pizza outside of Italy. Parking is a little strange and yes tip the guy. Monroe’s on Osuna is good and cheap for Mexican food.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 8:22 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
I can taste the green chiles now.....

The National Museum of Nuclear Science and History is worth a trip. It's a couple of hours, and close to ABQ. The backyard is full of Cold War era planes and missiles.
The Sandia tram is good for half a day
In Albuquerque, try El Patio. Authentic southwestern food.
I would go out of my way for the Laguana Pueblo's feast, but it may not be your thing.

Not sure if it's a boy's trip thing, but I recommend go Ojo Caliente in Ojo Caliente. It's a reasonably priced spa sitting on natural hot springs. Sit and soak for a couple of hours. The down side is they like the guests to be quiet. I's gone quite upscale since we started visiting. It's kind of between Santa Fe and Albuquerque.

Santa Fe: Lots to do. Lots to see.
Try Atrisco outside of the tourist area. The locals go there for New Mexican food.
There is also Meow Wolf; unique but may not be a guys trip sort of thing.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a heads-up to anyone traveling to ABQ in 2024: a major renovation project in underway inside the Sunport terminal building. Among other things it involves relocating the security checkpoint and moving f&b concession to the current checkpoint area.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:34 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Security checkpoint move is done (based on the news... I won't know until next month.) No words on the concessions, etc.
kale73 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 12:19 pm

We did a Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul inspired trip to ABQ last year with our son. We had a good time. The Nuclear Science museum was an unexpected delight.

The town rolls up the sidewalks very early.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA
As others have already said, Gallup has little to offer, and you’d be better off giving it a miss.
i would urge you to go to Santa Fe instead— it’s roughly an hour’s drive north from ABQ, and dates from Spanish colonial times.
I have a sentimental attachment to a restaurant called “Las Plazuelas” in La Fonda Hotel. When I was a young medical student, the cardiology professors would take us to a clinic in Santa Fe, and we students would struggle to diagnose the heart murmurs we heard. Afterward, they would treat us to lunch at Las Plazuelas, and I remembered it as an especially beautiful restaurant that featured very good Northern New Mexican cuisine. A few years ago, I returned, and my good memories were confirmed.
Others have already mentioned possibly going to Laguna Acoma Pueblo, which is about 45- min. Drive west of ABQ, and I would strongly urge that you follow that advice, especially since there is apparently a feast day there in March. If you’re able to attend, I’m sure that you’ll experience something really memorable! Remember, though, that no photography is allowed, and that the feast is likely to be a religious ceremony that incorporates elements of ancient Pueblo religion combined with the Catholic religion imposed by Spanish missionaries in the 16th century.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thinking of riding the train from downtown Albuquerque (we're staying near downtown) to Santa Fe and then back a few hours later:

Questions:

1. Are there stations in Albuquerque where it's easy to park on a Saturday for such a day trip?
2. From the Santa Fe depot, what is easily walkable? (Very bad knees on one of us). Would likely be looking for lunch and other interesting stuff. Looks like about a three hour layover before a return train. (Or is there some sort of tourist bus that circulates in downtown Santa Fe?)
Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:34 pm

There are multiple Rail Runner stations. I've never used the downtown station as there are other stations that are more convenient for me. Parking has always been available on Saturday.

The Santa Fe depot is very walkable. I haven't had lunch up there since pre-COVID, so not sure what is left. When I was last there, we tried to get into Tomasita's... but that wasn't happening. They are pretty busy, but you may want to try.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:44 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
There are multiple Rail Runner stations. I've never used the downtown station as there are other stations that are more convenient for me. Parking has always been available on Saturday.

The Santa Fe depot is very walkable. I haven't had lunch up there since pre-COVID, so not sure what is left. When I was last there, we tried to get into Tomasita's... but that wasn't happening. They are pretty busy, but you may want to try.
Any stations safer than others for parking a rental car for half a day?

Will look up Tomasita's. Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:05 pm

I use the Montano station. Not sure if it is any safer than others.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I'd suggest reading Death Comes For the Archbishop before your trip. Lot's of interesting info on the area and it's people.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Any stations safer than others for parking a rental car for half a day?

Will look up Tomasita's. Thanks!
Albuquerque isn’t nearly as unsafe as people sometimes claim. Personally I’d be fine parking pretty much anywhere for the day. Overnight maybe not.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Albuquerque isn’t nearly as unsafe as people sometimes claim. Personally I’d be fine parking pretty much anywhere for the day. Overnight maybe not.
Me too. Of course I've left my vehicle in airport motel (park, sleep, fly package) lots on more than one occasion. The only problem I had was in the summer of 2016 when someone stole the tailgate off my truck.

On another note, the downtown Santa Fe Rail Runner station is on the fringe of the historic part of town. If I were traveling with someone who had difficulty walking, I'd consider driving, dropping him off near what you most want to see, and paying to park in Santa Fe.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Basie007
As others have already said, Gallup has little to offer, and you’d be better off giving it a miss.
i would urge you to go to Santa Fe instead— it’s roughly an hour’s drive north from ABQ, and dates from Spanish colonial times.
I have a sentimental attachment to a restaurant called “Las Plazuelas” in La Fonda Hotel. When I was a young medical student, the cardiology professors would take us to a clinic in Santa Fe, and we students would struggle to diagnose the heart murmurs we heard. Afterward, they would treat us to lunch at Las Plazuelas, and I remembered it as an especially beautiful restaurant that featured very good Northern New Mexican cuisine. A few years ago, I returned, and my good memories were confirmed.
Others have already mentioned possibly going to Laguna Acoma Pueblo, which is about 45- min. Drive west of ABQ, and I would strongly urge that you follow that advice, especially since there is apparently a feast day there in March. If you’re able to attend, I’m sure that you’ll experience something really memorable! Remember, though, that no photography is allowed, and that the feast is likely to be a religious ceremony that incorporates elements of ancient Pueblo religion combined with the Catholic religion imposed by Spanish missionaries in the 16th century.
I had a history professor at BYU that feels that the Acoma pueblo should have a much more prominent place in US history textbooks. He believes that it, and not St. Augustine, FL, (or anywhere else) is the oldest place of continuous European presence in the United States.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amanuensis
I had a history professor at BYU that feels that the Acoma pueblo should have a much more prominent place in US history textbooks. He believes that it, and not St. Augustine, FL, (or anywhere else) is the oldest place of continuous European presence in the United States.
I suppose that members of Coronado's expedition may well have fathered a few half-European children during their initial 'visit' to Acoma in 1540, but I don't believe the historical record indicates that any of that group of Spaniards actually settled there. The moms would have raised their children as Acoma.

I would argue that San Juan, PR (founded 1521) is currently the oldest place of continuous European presence in the United States.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.