Search

First time in Sedona area

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:26 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

First time in Sedona area

Hi Guys,

In a couple of weeks we will fly to PHX for 3 days and would like to stay around Sedona. On my 20+ visits to Arizona we always go south of Phoenix.
We will have full Sunday and Monday to do whatever is to do or to see, then on Tuesday afternoon we will fly back out of PHX.
I know that my wife wants to see Grand Canyon again (we went to the western rim from Las Vegas 5 years ago) and this time we plan little time to visit Grand Canyon Village. Other than that we have no other plans. Don't know where to stay. Should we stay at Sedona itself or should we make Flagstaff as our base?
Where else can we go in the timespan that we have in the area? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2023, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Hi Guys,

In a couple of weeks we will fly to PHX for 3 days and would like to stay around Sedona. On my 20+ visits to Arizona we always go south of Phoenix.
We will have full Sunday and Monday to do whatever is to do or to see, then on Tuesday afternoon we will fly back out of PHX.
I know that my wife wants to see Grand Canyon again (we went to the western rim from Las Vegas 5 years ago) and this time we plan little time to visit Grand Canyon Village. Other than that we have no other plans. Don't know where to stay. Should we stay at Sedona itself or should we make Flagstaff as our base?
Where else can we go in the timespan that we have in the area? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
watch the weather. I’ve been in Flagstaff in late November. The low was below zero. Grand Canyon south rim high was in the teens with wind.

Sedona is lower elevation than flagstaff so I can be a little warmer.

watch for a fed govt shut down. Sedona land around the city is national forest land so pink Jeep yours can’t go there if it’s closed. Right now 18 th is shut down date but they can kick the can to later by a few weeks.

Oak Creek canyon is nice to see. It can be slippery in below freezing temps with turns you have.

in 2 days you can’t see it all.south rim is 2+ hrs one way from Sedona and you have short daylight days now.
the area around Sedona/ flagstaff have many national monuments you can visit. Montezuma castle is one. Thrn you have the private meteor crater site.

if you want to see winter in Grand Canyon you could look to do a night therr st a park lodge or at a holiday inn express or best western in tusayan just south of the main entrance. In winter they have the rim west side of the lodges open to vehicles. In 8+ months it’s bus only.

Much is going to be weather dependent. Phoenix will be nice weather but you will need cold weather gear for Grand Canyon.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:32 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks djp98374 for the detailed explanation. My wife wont be happy if I tell her that there is possibility of the park being closed.
It looks like I can't do any planning before the 18th. At least if it comes to the hotels. Maybe I should start creating contingency plan for the eastern and southern parts of Arizona. Thanks again!
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:52 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
It's been decades since we have been to Sedona but I will long remember the stunning Catholic church with the beautiful view.
SPN Lifer and work2fly like this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Thanks djp98374 for the detailed explanation. My wife wont be happy if I tell her that there is possibility of the park being closed.
It looks like I can't do any planning before the 18th. At least if it comes to the hotels. Maybe I should start creating contingency plan for the eastern and southern parts of Arizona. Thanks again!
southern arizona south of Phoenix will be mild and no snow.

thry pass a CR kicking the can down the curb only moves the threatens thr parks/ monuments/ forests from being closed.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:02 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
We stayed at The Enchantment resort which is about 10 minutes outside (south) of Sedona. and were blown away. The whole area around that resort could not be more stunning. If we go back to that area we would definitely stay there again. High end excellent food as well. Can't recommend highly enough. Click on the link and you will see.

https://www.enchantmentresort.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.