Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Road Trip starting in North Dakota-How many National Park annual passes will we need?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Road Trip starting in North Dakota-How many National Park annual passes will we need?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2020, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi FT,
We are planning on a road trip, very flexible but as far as National Parks go, we will be starting in the Dakota's (probably ND). Our group will be 6 adults in two cars. The site is a little confusing about how many annual passes we will need - will one pass cover each car? Or do we need 3 passes? The parks' site says one pass covers a car + 4 adults, or it covers the owner + one adult...

Also, it looks like we can pick up passes at several locations in ND. Can we just show up to one of those and purchase them? Or is there anything we need to know in advance?

Update - we will be driving out there next week (the week of 6/8)

Last edited by pstm91; Jun 1, 2020 at 3:16 pm Reason: Updated info
Old Jun 1, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by pstm91
Hi FT,
We are planning on a road trip, very flexible but as far as National Parks go, we will be starting in the Dakota's (probably ND). Our group will be 6 adults in two cars. The site is a little confusing about how many annual passes we will need - will one pass cover each car? Or do we need 3 passes? The parks' site says one pass covers a car + 4 adults, or it covers the owner + one adult...

Also, it looks like we can pick up passes at several locations in ND. Can we just show up to one of those and purchase them? Or is there anything we need to know in advance?

Update - we will be driving out there next week (the week of 6/8)
Two cars you will need two passes (3 people in each car).
  • Allows pass owner and accompanying passengers in a single, private, non-commercial vehicle to enter Federally operated recreation sites across the country.
  • Covers the pass owner and three (3) accompanying adults age 16 and older at sites where per person entrance fees are charged. No entry fee charged for children 15 and under.
Some locations will have entrance fees that are charged per vehicle as you enter. The pass covers the entrance fee for the vehicle and occupants at these locations. Some locations (and some attractions within locations) have entrance fees that are per person. The pass covers the per person entrance fee for the holder of the pass and 3 other adults.
If the site you are visiting is listed here as being able to sell the America the Beautiful pass then normally you should be able to show up and purchase. You should check to see if the locations you are visiting are actually open and that services are available.
DELee, pstm91 and Wilbur like this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Super helpful. Thank you!
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
A

Super helpful. Thank you!
passes can be bought at sny park entrance for $80

they cover

national parks
national seashores
natiinal forests
nationsl historic sites
national preserves
national battlefields
national fish and wildlife location
BLM lands

it dies not cover city or stste pstks
native American parks like monument valley

it gives you access. It doesn’t cover added fees like camping or hiking permits or Mesa verde guided tours.

its good for 12+ months.

buy it today, it expires on June 30 2021.

if the park you go to is out...you can pay entry fee, save receipt and use it as credit for when you coukd buy it like at the ranger station/ visitor center or at next park you go to.

some places you can go through parks without paying fees.

roads pass thru like 89 and grand Teton or YS 101 and Olympic National Park.

redwoods and Smokey mountains np don’t charge entry fees. Redwoods is a mix of state parks and national parks. Smokies is because the poor people who lived in the area of the park can access it.

Last edited by djp98374; Jun 5, 2020 at 6:13 pm
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unless all six are currently ND residents, be aware of the mandatory ND fourteen day quarantine period.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Quick update - buying passes was seamless. We ended up buying from the US Land Management Bureau in Dickinson, ND. They obviously do not get too many requests, or credit card requests, because it took them about 15 mins to get their machine going. They were very helpful and friendly though.

We were very surprised, however, that they did not know the status of TRNP (~30 mins away). They asked us if the park was open, what specifically was open, etc. Shouldn't that be other way around...?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
While the National Park Service and BLM are both in the Department of the Interior, they are two completely separate agencies. It doesn't surprise me that a BLM office in a different town isn't aware of the status of an NPS facility even if it is in the same state.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
While the National Park Service and BLM are both in the Department of the Interior, they are two completely separate agencies. It doesn't surprise me that a BLM office in a different town isn't aware of the status of an NPS facility even if it is in the same state.
Good to know, thanks! Makes a lot more sense now.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Discounted Annual and Lifetime Senior Passes also available

Also note that for seniors 62+ you can purchase an annual senior pass for only $20, or a lifetime senior pass for $80. https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/se...ss-changes.htm
CaveatEmpty likes this.

Last edited by bob12403; Jun 16, 2020 at 8:05 am
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What they are saying about passes is covering two different situations.

When you're in a car, one pass per car.

When you're on foot, no more than 4 adults on a pass. We were a party of 5 at Carlsbad caverns (the admission gate is the caverns themselves, you can't drive in), we had to buy one ticket.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bob12403
Also note that for seniors 62+ you can purchase an annual senior pass for only $20, or a lifetime senior pass for $80. https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/se...ss-changes.htm
Unfortunately no elderly were present outside of the BLM office in Dickinson, ND at the time of purchase, so full price was paid...
Old Jul 5, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Unfortunately no elderly were present outside of the BLM office in Dickinson, ND at the time of purchase, so full price was paid...
Here, let me fix that for you: "Unfortunately no SENIORS were present outside of the BLM office..." ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't matter--it's not about showing ID to get the pass, but showing ID to use the pass. When you're entering the park you show your pass (which you sign when you by it) and you show your ID. Senior pass, under 62??? (Actually, it is possible as you qualify at any age if you are disabled. I have no idea what you do for documentation in that case.)

(Admittedly, when things are busy I have gotten in simply showing my pass and ID, they waved me through rather than taking them. I have seen people plan on doing that with a pass that wasn't theirs, I don't know what they would have done if questioned.)
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:06 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
(Actually, it is possible as you qualify at any age if you are disabled. I have no idea what you do for documentation in that case.)
In our case, we presented the disabled placard and corresponding paperwork.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smf_ltn
In our case, we presented the disabled placard and corresponding paperwork.
I thought it was "disabled" as in SSI/SSDI, not as in mobility impairment. Last year I met a guy out on the hiking trails--disabled. Several days a month he had bad migraines, no employer would want an employee who was out that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.