Wiki Posts
Search

5.7 Earthquake. In Magna Utah

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
West of Salt Lake City. About 7:15 AM

Over a dozen aftershocks in the 3 range. I haven't heard anything about the airport shutting down yet to check for damages.

I was driving home from work going about 50 mph and it felt like I was driving through ruts in the pavement. The SUV kept pulling this way and that and had to keep correcting. It never occurred to me that it was an earthquake.

Thousands without power. We're in Murray. We have our own power station and ours is on. Nothing in the house even tipped over although it shook quite a bit. I've always paid extra for earthquake insurance, but luckily we still didn't need it.

18 aftershocks. Just had a 4.0.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 19, 2020 at 7:50 am Reason: merged poster's three consecutive posts
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The end is nigh!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:25 am
Original Poster

The epicenter is pretty close to the airport, but I haven't heard anything yet about operations there.

OK. Here we go. https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-ea...QSuSCqQCZorNI/

The news bobbleheads sure don't do anything to calm people's nerves.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 19, 2020 at 7:50 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Stay safe!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Swarms of locusts next ?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:41 am
Original Poster

100,000 without power, but haven't heard about too much damage yet.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:53 am

A few things fell off the walls.

Last edited by MastaHanky; Sep 8, 2020 at 9:21 am
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:25 am
Original Poster

It's definitely the end of the world. The trumpet fell out of Moroni's hands at the downtown Mormon temple. They have yet to locate the trumpet.

SLC airport has closed for the meantime. Flights are being diverted to LAS. Not sure how that works with lots of resorts on the strip also closing.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 19, 2020 at 7:51 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where is the copper mine in relation to the epicenter?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Where is the copper mine in relation to the epicenter?
About 10 miles southwest.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Amazingly little damage caused considering the magnitude. No injuries or deaths reported.

If this had happened in Mexico, there'd be 12,000 deaths and everyone would be swooping in to provide help. But it's Salt Lake City [removed comment about moderation]

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 19, 2020 at 7:52 am
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just felt another aftershock. There have been dozens, but only a few powerful enough to feel.

Utah experienced another aftershock Sunday night, just days after a 5.7 magnitude quake shook the state.

A magnitude 4.1 earthquake was centered in Magna, about 9 miles west of Salt Lake City at about 7:17 p.m. MDT, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/3/...ws-today-magna

Last edited by amanuensis; Mar 22, 2020 at 7:39 pm Reason: Added quote from newspaper article.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air traffic controllers at Salt Lake City International Airport are now probably very physically fit. Because of damage from the 5.7 earthquake on March 18, they had to walk up 25 stories worth of stairs in the tower every workday for four months.

But its once-damaged elevator is finally repaired and in good working order, according to a statement from the Federal Aviation Administration in response to questions from The Salt Lake Tribune.

“The repairs took almost four months to complete, which included contracting, scheduling and getting parts,” the statements said. “Due to the global pandemic, it was difficult getting parts in a timely manner.”

During the earthquake, a water tank valve malfunctioned, causing the tank to purge and dump water into the elevator shaft — which caused most of the elevator damage.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...damage-forced/
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
... they had to walk up 25 stories worth of stairs in the tower every workday for four months.
After having had a couple of trips out of SLC since the new terminal opened up- I'll bet it's easily a mile from the back-end of the "F" gates (in the old airport) to Bag Claim (in the new airport)- I'm starting to think all this is just a part of some sort of experimental Utah fitness program

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.