Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to skiing in CO

Old Nov 8, 19, 8:49 am
Original Poster

I booked some flights to DEN for Thanksgiving with use or lose vouchers hoping that there might be enough snow to ski. We were planning to go to Keystone, and while it's already (partially) open the base is still pretty thin.

Are there other family-friendly recommendations up to about a day's drive from DEN? Maybe hot springs/indoor waterpark resorts? Appreciate any tips.
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Rocky Mountain National Park. It's about 90 minutes from DEN and has plenty of non-skiing stuff to do. There's more advice about it here:

Visiting the Rockies over New Year's Eve
whistler814 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Skiing around Thanksgiving is always hit or miss. If you still want to ski, keep an eye on Arapahoe Basin. It's 15 minutes from Keystone and traditionally opens earlier and gets more snow. Also keep an eye on Loveland Pass Ski Area.

If skiing is out, take a look at the Winter Park / Faser area. There's usually a lot happening there. The snow tubing hills are a heck of a lot of fun. There's also a hot spring resort, Hot Sulphur Springs 40 minutes away (never been).
whistler814 and GUWonder like this.
Old Nov 12, 19, 9:26 am

Location: Primarily NOVA (anywhere between IAD DCA DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, NEXUS
The snow tubing hill in Fraser that AMflier mentioned is fun and they have snow machines in case there isn't enough snowfall for tubing.

Edit: change the text after AMflier beat me to it re:tubing hills.
whistler814 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 19, 9:33 am

Location: Primarily NOVA (anywhere between IAD DCA DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, NEXUS
And if you're a beer person at all, Breckenridge is another cool mountain town and they have the Breckenridge brewery down there.

There's also the town of Evergreen with a lake. I've never been there during cold weather, but I reckon it'll be picturesque during this time, especially if there's now.

And there's a nice German market in downtown Denver that pops up every year:
https://www.denver.org/event/christkindl-market/68496/

And you can ice skate in downtown if you're into that.
whistler814 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 19, 8:14 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
you can day trip to vail and breckenridge

about 25 yrs ago had a family reunion in that area over thanksgiving. Skiing was open. It started to snow the weekend before. Thrn it’s so hit and miss.

next week forecast across the country has milder weather.
whistler814 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
You could always day trip it to Glenwood Springs and their hot springs. Fair warning: I would bring swimsuits you wouldn't mind throwing away after use, as the sulfur content in the water can be difficult to eradicate.

My wife and kids went skiing at Keystone on Monday. They said the snow was okay. But, yes, will definitely be hit-or-miss around Thanksgiving.
whistler814 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for these helpful ideas. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Keystone will get a little more snow. There seems to be people lining up for the lifts when I check the live cam from time to time. Tubing, hot springs, and a scenic drive are great alternatives.

Search this Thread