Wiki Posts
Search

Ghost Towns in the American West

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Ghost Towns in the American West

Any ghost town hunters here? I think they are so fascinating and visit them whenever my travels allow me.

I have been to the majority of the ghost towns in Utah, as well as several in northeastern Nevada and western Wyoming. There are always more to visit.

-J.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Any ghost town hunters here? I think they are so fascinating and visit them whenever my travels allow me.

I have been to the majority of the ghost towns in Utah, as well as several in northeastern Nevada and western Wyoming. There are always more to visit.

-J.
southern NV has some neat ones and most are easy hikes to get to such as St. Thomas: https://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/natur...mas-nevada.htm

Most of the others are silver boomtowns and many have ruins of buildings.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not just ghost towns and not just in the West, but this might be of interest:
https://www.atlasobscura.united-states-of-abandoned-places
aztimm likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Mostly any town if you want food after 9pm.
DELee and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

From Las Vegas if you take a tour to Death Valley some tours stop at Rhyolite which I found to be fascinating

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/rhyolite-ghost-town

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Looks like I need to head over to Las Vegas! The last time I was there for any period of time, I visited Rachel, NV which is not a ghost town. It happened to be the final annual Rachel Day (after that they stopped celebrating because the "young generation was not interested"), and I visited the back gate of Area 51. That was pretty neat.

Also on my list is to visit some of the atomic towns that were built during the atomic bomb tests during the Cold War.

-J.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This past weekend I was in SLC for a wedding. While in the area I visited Dover and Clarion. Dover has a few abandoned structures on the wrong side of a fence, but it's still pretty neat. Clarion is a mix of old abandoned houses and farms. I came up to what I thought was an abandoned house only to be greeted by a herd of very timid sheep.

I decided to take UT-89 back north, which allowed me to drive through Spring City where I saw a few old buildings, but that town is very much alive. The highlight was getting to visit Thistle again. A small path has been created in the reeds so you can really see the submerged house. I took an excellent panoramic shot that really shows off the entire structure. I'll share it here if I ever upload these photos.

Overall I considered the day a success. I just wish I had a nicer car

-J.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:43 pm

Gilman, Colorado is a ghost town just south of Minturn on U.S. Rt 24. It's sits on the edge of a cliff and what is so interesting is that people lived there until the 1980's when the mine closed down.

Further south between Buena Vista and Salida if you are on Chalk Creek Road and drive by the Mt Princeton Hot Springs Resort you come to a ghost town called St. Elmo. The town was abandoned in the 1920's and if you go there you will feel if like you traveled back in time.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
My wife and I look for ghost towns on our trips. We’ve been to Rhyolite, NV, a mining town that declined as quickly as it rose, only lasting from 1906 to the mid-1910s. Its well-preserved general store burned down due to a lightning strike a few years ago, but the old train station is still worth seeing. We also recently visited Bannack, MT, a big and well preserved town that’s designated a state park. It has a cemetery on a hill with a panoramic view of the town.

Next on our list is Bodie, CA, near Yosemite, which is also a state historic park. It lasted well into the 20th century and has electricity and a preserved gas station.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strickerj
Next on our list is Bodie, CA, near Yosemite, which is also a state historic park. It lasted well into the 20th century and has electricity and a preserved gas station.
I met a guy at a bar once who told me about Bodie. Seems like a really cool place.

-J.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I met a guy at a bar once who told me about Bodie. Seems like a really cool place.

-J.
Yeah, from the map it looks pretty big. There’s Google Street View there if you want to check it out in advance.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but there are a bunch of them on Route 66 (more recent, of course, as they started their decline with the construction of the interstate highways in the 1960s). One that immediately comes to mind is Glenrio, on the Texas/New Mexico border. Also Two Guns, Arizona, which is right next to a historic Apache battle site.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Ghost towns:
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj
Also Two Guns, Arizona, which is right next to a historic Apache battle site.
A couple of miles north of the I-40 Two Guns exit via a very rough road lie the ruins of Canyon Diablo, perhaps the wildest settlement of the wild, wild West.

According to the Legends of America site...

The saloons, gambling dens and brothels never closed, running 24 hours a day. The town comprised mostly of shacks with two lines of buildings facing each other across the rocky road on the north side of the railroad right-of-way. The “street,” aptly referred to as Hell Street, included fourteen saloons, ten gambling houses, four brothels, and two dance halls.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.