Wiki Posts
Search

Is Phoenix still a golf destination?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Is Phoenix still a golf destination?

Im asking this question as someone who has never played golf on a course that didnt have a clown's head. When I moved to Arizona in 2001 it seemed like golf was absolutely huge, but the past several years I haven't heard nearly as much noise about the industry. Is it just the downturn in golf worldwide? I still see people with clubs when I go through Sky Harbor, but it seems to be less people than in the 90's and 00's. I know the Phoenix Open is huge (I've been several times), but it seems almost like the golf and the associated partying rival each other for attention.

My question is primarily aimed at out of towners: Is Phoenix still a golf destination? If not, what is the primary reason for an out of towner to visit Phoenix for leisure (other than spring training)?

Maybe I'm just numbed by living here so long?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Coming from the UK ( The BA non stop flight to PHX from LHR is very good) and a non golfer;

(1) Wonderful climate ( apart from Jun -Aug when it is hot for us from the UK)
(2) Great hotels which generally offer very good value for money ( prices are a lot higher during spring)
(3) The friendly people
(4) The completely different natural environment to the UK
(5) PHX offers a excellent starting point to explore the South west ( ie 90 mins to Tuscon and beyond ie Tombstone representing the Old west, Apache Junction, 2 hrs to Sedona with its red rocks and eaiser access to flagstaff and the Grand Canyon area etc
(6) Resort hotels offering lots of activities and at some hotels you walk out of the hotel straight into a desert preserve where it is hard to think you are just a few miles from a major conurbation
(7) Ease of access from PHX ( generally from leaving the plane to leaving the airport is less than 30mins even internationally from the UK)
(8) Downtown PHX has a lot of history and the Botantical gadens and is relatively easy ot get around with the light rail
Regards

TBS
Lost likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
As someone who doesn’t live in Phoenix, I would definitely still consider it a golf destination. The conditions and number of courses make it a great place to go spend an extended amount of time and play several courses. I actually had conversations at dinner with colleagues last night about Phoenix and golf, and what courses people had played recently, etc.

However, with all that said, if I was making one specific golf trip, I’d rather go to Bandon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.