Help me plan my AZ and NV trip please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me plan my AZ and NV trip please

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ForeverProcrastinating
I have a suggestion for the drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff. Stop in Sedona on the way up, but once in Sedona, take the Oak Creek Canyon scenic drive on the 89A (instead of taking the I-17). You can stop at Slide Rock State Park on the way up as well, although I'm sure it will be busy. Once you've made it out of the canyon, there is the Oak Creek Vista, just off the 89A to the right, that has some nice views.
ForeverProcrastinating welcome to FT and many thanks for the input. Bringing up another subject still on topic any suggestions for good eats in LV and Scottsdale without breaking the bank?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
ForeverProcrastinating welcome to FT and many thanks for the input. Bringing up another subject still on topic any suggestions for good eats in LV and Scottsdale without breaking the bank?
Phoenix: Pizzeria Bianco, Culinary Dropout, Havana Cafe, Barrio Cafe/Barrio Queen, Liberty Market, Joe's Real BBQ, Scramble, Matt's Big Breakfast, OHSO, Four Peaks... (want me to keep going? Now I'm hungry...)

Las Vegas I'm not as familiar with, but I do know there's some very good local restaurants if you head off strip and look around town. One place I hit when I was up there in July was Sammy's L.A. Pastrami. Highly recommended.

Also, if you want to play tourist, you could hit In n' Out in either city.

Last edited by Lost; Dec 18, 2014 at 3:48 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ForeverProcrastinating
I have a suggestion for the drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff. Stop in Sedona on the way up, but once in Sedona, take the Oak Creek Canyon scenic drive on the 89A (instead of taking the I-17). You can stop at Slide Rock State Park on the way up as well, although I'm sure it will be busy. Once you've made it out of the canyon, there is the Oak Creek Vista, just off the 89A to the right, that has some nice views.
+1 ^

You can also go from Phoenix to Flagstaff via highway 87 thru Payson, then Lake Mary Rd to Flagstaff. Very scenic, but you won't go through Sedona ( Sedona is about a 30 min drive south of Flagstaff).

Last edited by Lost; Dec 18, 2014 at 4:08 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
In and Out what No Five Guys
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:19 pm

In and Out what No Five Guys
They're both overhyped chains to me
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Any suggestions on where to buy discounted Vegas show tickets please?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
For food in PHX/Scottsdale I would definitely recommend Roaring Fork, especially at happy hour. I would also recommend Cibo over Pizzeria Bianco, Oregano's, Carolina's for some of the best tortillas on the planet, Fuego Taco and Fuego Cantina, especially Cantina at happy hour, Chino Bandido Takee Outee for something unique, La Grande Orange, The Grind, The Parlor, oh geez so many good places to eat.

For Vegas, can't go wrong with Hash House A Go Go, 550 Pizza, Grand Lux Café in Venetian/Palazzo, or take a drive out the Pahrump Valley Winery for some good food in a classy setting without all of the fuss and formality.

For cheap tickets I've had good luck at the Tix4Tonite booth(s).
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Happy Hour - Music to my Ears
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

My Daughter has asked about Buffets in Vegas as she has heard alot about them. Someone mentioned MORE in the Luxor. Any other recommendations ?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:16 pm

My Daughter has asked about Buffets in Vegas as she has heard alot about them. Someone mentioned MORE in the Luxor. Any other recommendations ?
The only one I've done recently is the breakfast buffet at Aria. ^
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:32 pm

Another random thing I just thought of on the way from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon... You could ride the chairlift at Arizona Snowbowl up to the top of Agassiz Peak at 11,500 feet above sea level.

The San Francisco Peaks (Mt Humphreys, the highest point in Arizona, as well as Agassiz and Fremont Peaks) are an extinct volcano that rise about 5,000 feet above the surrounding terrain.

Just north of Flagstaff.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:59 pm

The 89A drive is a good recommendation. I'd chime in that a good 30-45 min stop is Montezuma Castle in Camp Verde, AZ, right off I-17. A nice place to stretch your legs while viewing 800 year old cliff dwellings.

http://www.nps.gov/moca/index.htm

I personally think the quality of Vegas buffets has suffered in recent years, but am still a fan of Wicked Spoon @ Cosmopolitan, especially for the desserts. But food prices in general will be high at the nicer resorts. There are some great happy hours in Vegas, I'd go with that suggestion. If you like tapas, Julian Serrano's happy hour (at Aria) is one of my favorites.

If you are unable to get El Tovar @ the GC, I would consider just commuting back and forth to Flagstaff. The drive is beautiful, and there is a lot more to do at night. Flagstaff has a decent downtown with some good eating and drinking places, and the observatory is worth a visit - they will often open up the telescope for public viewing (Pluto was discovered here). There is a nice Doubletree along with plenty of other options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.