Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Best way to get to the Grand Canyon from Phoenix??:)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Smile Best way to get to the Grand Canyon from Phoenix??:)

Hey FT!

We are planning a trip to Vegas and Phoenix. While in Phoenix or Vegas ( If this is better) we would like to go to the Grand Canyon. This trip is planned for the mid/end of July. I have seen several tour like places. I just want to see if anyone has taken these or even drove themselves. Any and ALL advice is greatly appreciated
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:10 pm

We drove from Phoenix. I know there are tours from Las Vegas ans you can also drive but I don't know which driving method is faster. if you go from Phoenix you have the added bonus of Sedona amd Flagstaff.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite

Grand Canyon is roughly located between the two cities. Why not drive phx - gc - las?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I see you are from VA. Not far from me. YES! Drive LAS-GC-PHX. Its a wonderful drive. Across the Hoover Dam. (New bridge I believe.) Just beautiful desert southwest scenery. Enjoy! We have done it several times. I would do it again tomorrow.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the replies!!! I am seriously thinking about driving it then. I really appreciate this site and all your input!
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:39 pm

In late spring, there are often one-way specials from LAS and/or PHX to CA. Sometimes you can even find a good rate from PHX to LAS or vice versa. The special is often in the reverse direction in late fall.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:50 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Asha Tasha!

Let's move this thread over to the West forum for further discussion...

Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I was not sure about which one would be more appropiate
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
Drive it for sure. It is a beautiful drive and as others have mentioned, you have more flexibility for stopping along the way.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
Drive. In and around Flagstaff is a huge variety of stuff. Flagstaff is located in the midst of 600 volcanoes - all currently extinct. The last erupted in 964 AD; Sunset Crater, it's a National Monument about ten miles from Flagstaff. Walk through miles of lava flow, climb a cinder cone, see the Visitor's Center.

While at the Visitor's center, ask about Wupatki which is an incredible pre-historic Pueblo Indian ruin and is covered by the entrance fee to Sunset Crater. It's down the road about 10 miles.

In Flagstaff see the Lowell Observatory, the largest private observatory in the world, where Percival Lowell saw the canals on Mars, Pluto was discovered and the first evidence was seen for the expanding Universe. They have terrific programs in the afternoons and evenings that cost about $4. Evenings are best.

About twenty miles west of Flagstaff is Meteor Crater, a mile wide crater formed by an impact about 50,000 years ago. Be glad you weren't there to see it. Meteor Crater is a little pricey compared to everything else.

Flagstaff is about 1-1/2 hours from the Grand Canyon. Take Highway 89 a little past the road to the Grand Canyon (64) to the Cameron Trading Post. See baskets priced at $50,000. Hey, you can eat at Denny's in Virginia; this will be a Navajo experience.

Plan to walk down into the Grand Canyon. If you have the time, spend the day walking down a few miles on the Bright Angel Trail; back up is harder. Looking over the edge you miss it. The donkeys look to me like more work than walking. If you have kids over the age of 5 or 6, they'll love it.

Do remember that each year about 5 guys have heart attacks and die at the Grand Canyon, and about 5 more fall to their deaths. Enjoy the El Tovar Hotel even if you're not staying there.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DO NOT MISS sunrise ... we stayed at Maswik Lodge and walked (~20 min) up to Hopi Point

the drive along the South Rim from the east entrance (via AZ 64 as bobunf has identified) is pretty spectacular ... US 180 which approaches from the south is much more touristy

bobunf is batting .500 -- Meteor Crater is actually ** east ** of Flagstaff

good info from National Park Service here
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Wow! I appreciate this in depth info. It clearly looks like driving is the way to go! I can't wait to see everything. I will def not over exert myself either...I'm not trying to fall over I want to share the experience when I get home lol
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Keep in mind that there are two sides to the Grand Canyon-- North Rim and South Rim. The South Rim is more touristed. It provides the classic Grand Canyon views you see in the media. Some think the North Rim is more scenic. It's definitely cooler (as in, lower temperatures) and less crowded.

From Phoenix it's about a 4 hour drive to the South Rim. As others have mentioned, there are worthy side trips along this route. The red rocks spires around Sedona are stunning. I have spent entire vacations just visiting Sedona. Additionally, along/near I-17 in this part of Arizona there are several parks featuring native cliff dwellings dating back roughly 1000 years.

Finally, since we're one-upping each other on how close to the OP we live, I'll add that I grew up in Woodbridge, VA.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Sounds like my kind of road trip. Question...Is this doable in 1 day? I would love to fly into PHX, spend the night, then get up early for the drive to LAS, stopping at the GC.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Sounds like my kind of road trip. Question...Is this doable in 1 day? I would love to fly into PHX, spend the night, then get up early for the drive to LAS, stopping at the GC.
It's technically possible in a long day. You're looking at a 3 hour drive PHX-South rim, then maybe 3.5-4 hours South rim-LAS. Doesn't give you too much time.

I would say spend the night at the Grand Canyon or in Flagstaff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.