Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

San Diego to Sedona -- suggestions for on the way & in Sedona area? Grand Canyon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego to Sedona -- suggestions for on the way & in Sedona area? Grand Canyon?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing

Hi,
I want to go (my parents, wife & me, kids ages 7 & 5) to Sedona, 3rd week of March.
Driving from San Diego.

Any attractions "on the way" to break up the drive?
Recommendations for specific short to medium hikes?
Does it make sense to do a day trip to Grand Canyon, or should we plan to spend a night (or more or none) there?

Thanks for any tips!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
You can do a day trip to the Grand canyon....its a 2 hr drive.

To break up the trip I would look to spend the day as part of your drive in Joshua Tree. Mid MArch-early April is their flower season.

You could drive the evening to Palm Springs for the night...do Joshua Tree for the day then drive and stop at some point near Congress or Prescott for the night then in Sedona for a few days.

The morning you drive from Sedona to the Grand Canyon and plan on spending the night there. Spend much of the next day there. Leave and maybe drive to Kingman, AZ for the night. Then drive home the next day.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Some more info

Thanks.
Some more questions below:

Originally Posted by djp98374
You can do a day trip to the Grand canyon....its a 2 hr drive.
2 hrs from Sedona?

To break up the trip I would look to spend the day as part of your drive in Joshua Tree. Mid March-early April is their flower season.

You could drive the evening to Palm Springs for the night...do Joshua Tree for the day then drive and stop at some point near Congress or Prescott for the night then in Sedona for a few days.
Interesting offer, although we've been to Palm Springs quite a few times in the last years, and also once with my parents (who are coming with us again this time).
Joshua Tree, though - don't think they've been there.

The morning you drive from Sedona to the Grand Canyon and plan on spending the night there. Spend much of the next day there. Leave and maybe drive to Kingman, AZ for the night. Then drive home the next day.
When you say "spend the night there" - is that Flagstaff, or somewhere else?
Also, this Kingman place - is there anything to do/see there, or is it just a place to sleep?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ranshe
Also, this Kingman place - is there anything to do/see there, or is it just a place to sleep?
I've been to Kingman, AZ for work several times. If I didn't have to go for work, I probably wouldn't.
Unless you have a strong desire to explore highlights of Route 66, I'd give it a pass.

March is Spring Training season in the Phoenix area. Have you looked into spending some time here on your way to or from Sedona? The Phoenix zoo, botanical gardens (perfect time to see), Taliesin West, Musical Instrument Museum, Heard Museum, Boyce-Thompson, Casa Grande ruins, are all here.
And if you time it right, you can see the Chandler Ostrich Festival, which is practically in my backyard.

That said, March is peak season throughout most of AZ. I'd get some reservations going ASAP, at least some that you can cancel.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
I've been to Kingman, AZ for work several times. If I didn't have to go for work, I probably wouldn't.
Unless you have a strong desire to explore highlights of Route 66, I'd give it a pass.
Thanks. Not a fan.

March is Spring Training season in the Phoenix area. Have you looked into spending some time here on your way to or from Sedona? The Phoenix zoo, botanical gardens (perfect time to see), Taliesin West, Musical Instrument Museum, Heard Museum, Boyce-Thompson, Casa Grande ruins, are all here.
Great ideas, will look into that!
And if you time it right, you can see the Chandler Ostrich Festival, which is practically in my backyard.
My dates are not that flexible

That said, March is peak season throughout most of AZ. I'd get some reservations going ASAP, at least some that you can cancel.
Good to know. Already have a cancel-alble one for lodging.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by ranshe
Thanks.
Some more questions below:

2 hrs from Sedona?

Interesting offer, although we've been to Palm Springs quite a few times in the last years, and also once with my parents (who are coming with us again this time).
Joshua Tree, though - don't think they've been there.

When you say "spend the night there" - is that Flagstaff, or somewhere else?
Spend the night at the Grand Canyon as in just outside the park...not flagstaff. There is a best western and a holiday inn express just outside the south rim entrance.

A drive from Sedona to South Rim is about 2 hrs one way.

As someone else said spring training is happeneing in the Phoenix area.

You can go down for a day and see a game.

There is also an option of foloowing the southern route throughYuma where you can stop by Organ Pipe NAtional Monument, Sonoran Desset National Monument and go down to Tuscon and visit Sagaurdo NAtional Park before heading up to Phoenix for spring training then to Sedona then to grand canyon...then come back I-40 and drive through Joshua Tree before heading back to SD.

The Grand Canyon/Flagstaff will be colder than the rest of the areas on the trip.

I am suggesting Kingman as a stopping point for the night...if you leave the grand canyon and head home its about 3 hrs from the grand canyon...thus breaking up your drive into two days.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:59 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The drive from Kingman to Oatman on old 66 is amazing, with some incredible view.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by cblaisd
The drive from Kingman to Oatman on old 66 is amazing, with some incredible view.
+1 ^ - I highly recommend Oatman, especially for the kids.

http://www.welcometooatman.com/

Once in Sedona, you might want to take a side trip to Jerome and a drive up Oak Creek Canyon.

http://www.azjerome.com/

Also a ^ for the Desert Museum in Tucson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.